Is this cue really this valuable?

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Not sure I posted this correctly. I never posted a link or picture before. Anyway what is the value of high end Mike Bender Cues??? Does being a duplicate to an actual cue in the Smithsonian add that much value??

Many say cue prices on high end cues are subjective and the value isn’t carved in stone, basically the value is what ones willing to pay. Having said all that I sure would love to own any Mike Bender Cue.

Attachments

• B2A597CA-54FC-4CC3-80D6-5A49A5DC03C9.jpg
    B2A597CA-54FC-4CC3-80D6-5A49A5DC03C9.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,254
Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Not sure I posted this correctly. I never posted a link or picture before. Anyway what is the value of high end Mike Bender Cues??? Does being a duplicate to an actual cue in the Smithsonian add that much value??

Many say cue prices on high end cues are subjective and the value isn’t carved in stone, basically the value is what ones willing to pay. Having said all that I sure would love to own any Mike Bender Cue.

No..............

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Without the joint protectors, that cue is worth probably @ ummmm... 1500.00. ( 15 hundred ) Or so...

In all seriousness, I pulled the guy's site up and he does good work. But is that cue worth 60K? In all likelihood, no. But you hit the nail on the head when you said pricing is pretty subjective. Whatever the market will bear... I'm an artist and if I found someone to pay 60k for one of my portraits, would it be worth 60k? You would probably have to say yes. So, who really knows...

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Without the joint protectors, that cue is worth probably @ ummmm... 1500.00. ( 15 hundred ) Or so...

In all seriousness, I pulled the guy's site up and he does good work. But is that cue worth 60K? In all likelihood, no. But you hit the nail on the head when you said pricing is pretty subjective. Whatever the market will bear... I'm an artist and if I found someone to pay 60k for one of my portraits, would it be worth 60k? You would probably have to say yes. So, who really knows...

I'd say probably not. :smile: There's a huge difference between "price", "value", and stupidity. When doing appraisals the appraiser looks for comparables, he'll throw out insane, unjustified, one-off, sales in either price direction.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I'd say probably not. :smile: There's a huge difference between "price", "value", and stupidity. When doing appraisals the appraiser looks for comparables, he'll throw out insane, unjustified, one-off, sales in either price direction.

Amen and amen.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose it's worth what ever someone is willing to pay and how bad they want it..I would not pay that much for any chunk of wood no matter who made it..

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
There was a time when many cues like this were bringing big $. There was an appreciation for new design and ultrafine work that you don't see as much of by buyers today. That said, there is no shortage of money. The high dollar buyers are out there and with the outward market being stale, it has driven a lot of true artisans underground so to speak only building those pieces for a select clientele who know what they're getting. So many great cues the public may never get to see let alone play with.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Smithsonian cue from one of the all-time elite cuemaking team (Mike Bender / Tracy Dunham ).

People already responded on worth, value, and price.

Freddie <~~~ needs a Bender

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smithsonian cue from one of the all-time elite cuemaking team (Mike Bender / Tracy Dunham ).

People already responded on worth, value, and price.

Freddie <~~~ needs a Bender

I need a Bender too, but not one with malachite

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It surprises me to find you reveal you were not familiar with Mike bender.

I was going to post that one who isnt immediately familiar with the topic/ maker shouldnt be taken as positioned to comment.

Again, surprised.

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
If the white is ivory. It ain't worth a plugged nickel in Cali.

Not a fan of ivory period. I don’t see any value in the playability of the cue with ivory. Of course I’m a fan of plain Jane cues w/ Irish linen wraps. I wouldn’t know nice if it smacked me in the face.