Almost got in a fight during a $200 game

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I almost got in a fight over a 20.00 game a while back .

Playing in a bar for 10.00 a game and this kid comes up and adds his quarters o. The rail. I win 2 more and and its this kids turn now. He says lets play for 20.00 and I say ok.

I break and run a few then he makes a few then i run down to the 8. I am standing there with both hands on the rail looking at the 8 across table and contemplating whether to kick it cross side or cut it all the WA up table to the corner pocket.

The kid comes up and stands by me and whispers in my ear....got another 20.00 says you dont make this shot..i replied ..you dont know what shot I am gonna make. He says..it don't matter I got 20.00 that says you dont make the 8 this shot.

I say...lemme think on it and back up from the table also and I continue looming at the 8. He immediately walks around to the other side of the table so he can look me in the eye and says again ..i got another 20.00 that says you dont dont make it.

Now I am pissed. I yell to him you are on...now back the fvuk up off the table so I can decide which pocket I am goanna put it in. A team mate of mine that was hanging with some girls heard me yelling and comes over and asks me what's going on .

So I tell him what went down. He happens to know this kid and asks him why he is pulling such a move. The kid tells him ...i thought me and you are friends...why are you busting my balls when I am trying to win this game.

My team mate says yea we were friends and this guy you are playing happens to be a team mate and a good friend. The kid says...what do you mean we were friends. My team mate says...my friends dont pull the shit you trying to pull. The kid says ...fbuk you and your friend both.

That wad a bad mistake on the kids part...my team mate popped him about 5 times in the blink of an eye. The collapses on the floor against the poll table.the bouncer comes running over but their is no fight to break up. The kid is out Cold.

The bouncer shakes the kids asking him if he is all right. The kid comes to and the bouncer half carries him and half drags him outa the bar...needless to say my team mate was kicked out also.

I looked and saw some quarters still laying on the rail...looked around and said who's next :D

Now see, that was settled. No drama. Just end the BS properly. :D

You don't have to post any explanations or questions about the matter.

The real question is what happened with the next guy. LOL! I am assuming any further play was quite cordial. :smile:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really, a fight?

I don't know you and I was not there, but 200 bucks is not worth risking your freedom and finances for. The days of handing out a lesson in manners are long gone. Sad but still true.

Fights can quickly escalate into life changing events. I have seen the negative results of fights that went south many times and please believe me, if the involved parties had it to do over again they would of walked away.

Pool should be a gentleman's game and treated as such. You are much more valuable then 200 bucks.

I believe every one has the right and duty to defend themselves, part of that defense is avoiding problems. Best wishes!

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First your title is misleading. Almost got in a fight during a $200 game. You didn't almost get in a fight. You had a heated exchange of words. Almost getting in a fight is when someone asks to take it outside where I come from.
Second it wasn't a $200 game. It was a small tournament for $200 bucks.

I left out the boring details like his friend grabbing my arm, me going don't f-ing touch me, him going "what you gonna do about it, etc and just wrote "things escalated". It felt like I was gonna get punched at any second at some point. I'm in my thirties and since this is a pool forum I thought I'd leave these silly details out. Also it was a 200 game. Like I said it was the finals race to one I walked away with 200. Also like someone mentioned the rules of this tourney were call ALL shots; call all kisses if you're going clean say clean. This was the only guy who never called anything. I will not be racing him for 500 like someone suggested because I have nothing to prove there's no way he can beat me I don't need to come back here with a "got in a fight" title.. I think some people you just don't play for money unless you have to. Also from now on when anybody shoots I'll be in my chair.

Last edited:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
There are just too many idiots out there for me to go into bars and play pool. If I hadn't been watching several years ago some dumba$$ would have walked out with my $600 Nova Custom Cue. This might cause me to be short on competition but I still prefer to stay away from places where idiots are known to hang out.

r/DCP

Amen, OCD. The safest place might be the home pool table. There, you are in familiar settings, its cozy, no strangers and you know that there is only ONE nutjob in the place :wink:

Eric

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know you and I was not there, but 200 bucks is not worth risking your freedom and finances for. The days of handing out a lesson in manners are long gone. Sad but still true.

Fights can quickly escalate into life changing events. I have seen the negative results of fights that went south many times and please believe me, if the involved parties had it to do over again they would of walked away.

Pool should be a gentleman's game and treated as such. You are much more valuable then 200 bucks.

I believe every one has the right and duty to defend themselves, part of that defense is avoiding problems. Best wishes!

Although I don't entirely disagree, I do no suspect society has not evolved as much as you propose. The days of handing out a lesson are not gone.

I left out the boring details like his friend grabbing my arm

For me that's game over. No more place for words unless the aggressor is lucky enough to get an apology out fast enough.

Not everybody is the same in this regard and I respect the position of others.

I do feel it is wise to respect that others have different thresholds. For some words or a different opinion will be enough to escalate to physical violence. I always am conscious of that before I open my mouth.

I can say that in the places I frequent, grabbing someone's arm in aggression would likely immediately escalate.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While your experience might have rattled you you can learn one thing now:
On first occasion request shots to be called explicitly. Be firm about this.
If not followed on second occasion simply end the game and walk away.

Seems like the greediness got the better of you, too :confused:

Cheers,
M

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
First your title is misleading. Almost got in a fight during a $200 game. You didn't almost get in a fight. You had a heated exchange of words. Almost getting in a fight is when someone asks to take it outside where I come from.
Third and I read all your reply's, you kept referring to pro matches. Like, "By call pocket I meant it doesn't matter if it's a carom or a clean shot, you know the way pros play. This isn't a pro match. Not even close.
Forth it sounds like a couple of kids on the playground woofing. I'm guessing you're in your 20's or maybe your 30's and your playing in a bar. Your going back and forth as far as the rules. Typical bar rules made up as you play.
To answer your question, "So who was right?" IMO neither of you. He should have been calling his shots and you shouldn't talk while he's down on his shot. That's why you'll never find most members here, JMHO never gambling in bars.

This is the best reply in this thread...

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fenwick

(First your title is misleading. Almost got in a fight during a $200 game. You didn't almost get in a fight. You had a heated exchange of words. Almost getting in a fight is when someone asks to take it outside where I come from.

I left out the boring details like his friend grabbing my arm, me going don't f-ing touch me, him going "what you gonna do about it, etc and just wrote "things escalated". It felt like I was gonna get punched at any second at some point. And you would have fought over your $20 entrance fee. I'm in my thirties and since this is a pool forum I thought I'd leave these silly details out. You said it not I. Also it was a 200 game. Well a sincere good for you.

Like I said it was the finals race to one I walked away with 200. Also like someone mentioned the rules of this tourney were call ALL shots; call all kisses if you're going clean say clean. That's 1960's bar rules.

This was the only guy who never called anything. I will not be racing him for 500 like someone suggested because I have nothing to prove there's no way he can beat me I don't need to come back here with a "got in a fight" title.. You don't have to do anything.

I think some people you just don't play for money unless you have to. Really? And you know this how?

Also from now on when anybody shoots I'll be in my chair. Good. That's where you belong while your opponent shoots.

Look. As I was told here before it's just the internet and a pool forum. Relax, take a deep breath and lets just move on. Okay

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you guys like to read there are two books on violence and at least one is pretty damn good.

First
"The little black book of violence"

The second is pretty good too probably.
"The big bloody book of violence"

Both by Lawrence A Kane & Kris Wilder

Check them out on Amazon. (The first book is a must read imo but I haven't read a lot of the second)

Here are some excerpts from the books.

One day the scorpion approached the edge of a stream and wanted to cross. A rabbit came along and asked the scorpion what it was doing. The scorpion replied that he wanted to get to the other side, but could not swim. He wondered aloud if he could ride on the hare’s back, serving as a set of eyes to help guide the two of them while the rabbit swam across.

Now the rabbit, he was no dummy. He was afraid that the scorpion would sting him if he let it onto his back but the scorpion promised he would never do such a thing because they would both drown. The rabbit accepting this promise let the scorpion climb onto his back and they began their journey. Halfway across the stream the scorpion raised his stinger and plunged it into the back of the rabbit injecting him with a fatal poison.

The rabbit screamed, “You promised you would not sting me. Now we are both going to die.” The scorpion replied, “I am a scorpion, this is what I do.”

The preceding fable was written sometime around 600 B.C. It has stood the test of time not only because of its powerful message but also because it makes intuitive sense. Scorpions, driven by instinct, strike out at other animals with their poisonous stingers. Unthinking animals, it is conceivable that they would perform such behaviors even at risk of their own lives. After all, honeybees die after using their stingers, but that doesn’t keep them from doing it. What about people? We are more evolved, use higher reasoning. How much does that change things? Surprisingly not as much as you might think…

Social violence, the old “what are you looking at” sort of stuff used to protect turf, establish hierarchies, and attract members of the opposite sex runs contrary to common sense yet it happens all the time. Ever been to a nightclub frequented by hormone-addled young men and college coeds? How about a party around 2:00 A.M. as it starts to wind down and stragglers are desperate to hook up? You can see dysfunctional behaviors in certain settings virtually all the time. The good news is that those who can rise above their animal instincts NEED NOT FEAR DANGERS FROM SOCIAL VIOLENCE most of the time, as they have the wherewithal to swallow their pride, give the other guy a face-saving way out, and leave.

But, there are other kinds of violence, deeper, darker, and more dangerous kinds. Asocial or predatory violence is complex, disturbing, and thankfully, far less common than social violence in most societies. But, far more often than not, if you are caught in its grasp YOU CAN NOT JUST WALK AWAY. You will need to fight your way free and may very well be maimed or killed in the process. It’s important to know what you are facing because actions that can de-escalate social violence such as backing down and apologizing make you look like a compliant victim, hence can spark predatory violence.

We discussed these two types of violence in depth in the previous book and summarize them here in appendix A, but here is a quick overview to refresh your memory.

• The intent of SOCIAL VIOLENCE is to AFFECT YOUR ENVIRONMENT. In other words you want to establish dominance, educate somebody, get him or her out of your territory, or whatever. There are virtually always witnesses, because you are seeking status from the outcome much like the schoolyard brawls many of us got into as kids.
• PREDATORY VIOLENCE is aimed at ILLICITLY ACQUIRING RESOURCES or TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OTHERS. Witnesses are avoided unless they are accomplices. For example, while a pickpocket might operate in a crowd he (or she) uses sleight of hand or misdirection to disguise his actions. Muggers, serial killers, rapists, home invaders, arsonist, and other predators seek privacy so that they won’t get caught.

Violence is everywhere- on the street, in the workplace, on campus, and in the community. It can be instigated by anyone from drunken fools who hit like Jell-O to drug-crazed lunatics who can not only throw a good punch, but will slash your throat for good measure, and everything else in between. The danger can come from fist, feet, or flying object. You might encounter or deploy impromptu weapons such as bricks, bottles, or bludgeons, or more conventional weapons such as blades, buckshot, or bullets.

Violence is a complex and disturbing subject, one that requires careful study and first-hand experience to truly understand. In this book we have presented what we hope is a clear, thorough, realistic, and thought provoking analysis of violence. You have read real life examples of violent people, examined their brutal behavior, and have a good understanding of the aftermath of violence.

You have probably noticed that the "before" section is much longer than the "during" or "after" sections of the book. That was done intentionally because, let's face it, you have a lot more control about what happens to you before a confrontation gets physical than you do during the fight or after the smoke has cleared. Once you get violent, much of what follows places your fate in the hands of others.

Now that you have finished the book, you should be able to recognize behaviors, both in others as well as within yourself, that may lead to a fight. Understanding these situations can help you make the right choices for success in conflict resolution. Sometimes you really do need to fight yet most of the time its the wrong thing to do.

To summarize what you have read we would like to leave you with these four simple rules of self-defense:

* Rule 1- "Don't get hit." That is primarily about using awareness, avoidance, and de-escalation to eliminate the need to fight in the first place. Where a physical confrontation is unavoidable, it's also about warding off the other guys blows so that you can counterattack successfully.

* Rule 2- "Stop him from continuing to attack you." A purely defensive response is insufficient in a street fight as it can only keep you safe for a very short period of time. You must stop the assault that is in progress so that you can escape to safety or otherwise remain safe until help arrives. Your goal is to be safe, not to kill your attacker or teach him a lesson.

* Rule 3- "Always have a plan B." No matter how good a fighter you are, whatever you try is not necessarily going to work. The other guy will be doing his damnedest to pound your face in, pulling out every dirty trick he can think of in an effort to mess you up. It is prudent, therefore, to have a plan B, some alternative you can move to without missing a beat when things go awry.

* Rule 4- "Don't go to jail" This is about judicious use of force, both knowing when it is appropriate to take action as well as knowing how much force to apply. The AOJP principle can hold you in good stead during conflict situations.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you guys like to read there are two books on violence and at least one is pretty damn good.

First
"The little black book of violence"

The second is pretty good too probably.
"The big bloody book of violence"

Both by Lawrence A Kane & Kris Wilder

Check them out on Amazon. I well. (The first book is a must read imo but I haven't read a lot of the second)

Violence is everywhere- on the street, in the workplace, on campus, and in the community. It can be instigated by anyone from drunken fools who hit like Jell-O to drug-crazed lunatics who can not only throw a good punch, but will slash your throat for good measure, and everything else in between. The danger can come from fist, feet, or flying object. You might encounter or deploy impromptu weapons such as bricks, bottles, or bludgeons, or more conventional weapons such as blades, buckshot, or bullets.

I don't think either of us were advocating Violence?
Can't green rep you. Have to spread it around.

Last edited: