Julius Cottman

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there are a number of Baltimore-DC posters on here. Does anyone have a picture of Julius? It would be much appreciated.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm sure JAM is probably searching right now, if anybody has a pic of a pool player, its gonna be her.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
D.C. Here...never heard of him.

Is he an old player or a current one?

Older, I believe.
Looks like he may have played an exhibition with Mizerak in about 1986, if same person.
Just guessing, not 100% sure though.
Will Prout

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Julius passed away in the early 2000's. His home room was the Gentlemen's Cue in Pikesville, a Baltimore suburb. He also spent a lot of time at Bill & Billy'as in Glen Bernie. Julius was near 80 when he passed away. He played a pretty sporty game of one-pocket. We loved him around here in Erie PA.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Julius passed away in the early 2000's. His home room was the Gentlemen's Cue in Pikesville, a Baltimore suburb. He also spent a lot of time at Bill & Billy'as in Glen Bernie. Julius was near 80 when he passed away. He played a pretty sporty game of one-pocket. We loved him around here in Erie PA.

Was just going to say all that, plus Julius played at Greenie's in Baltimore as well. Very smooth, loose stroke, and played good straight pool as well.

Julius was more a gambler than a tournament player, but I remember watching him in the 1977 Maryland State Open, at Gentlemen's Cue, and the game was straight pool. He was in the finals against Greg Riggie. Greg was the son of well-known straight pool player Richard Riggie. Julius played well, but got outplayed by Greg.

Good memories. Julius didn't mind playing straight pool for as little as five bucks, played him a bunch of times in the 70s and 80s at Gentlemen's Cue. Unfortunately, can't find a picture of him.

All the best,
WW

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have pictures of Julius call me. Ed Friedman 410-303-0069

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These pictures are exactly what I was looking for. I will share a nice story about Julius soon.Thank you, Ed.

Attachments

• Julius Cottman Playing.PNG
    Julius Cottman Playing.PNG
    187.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Julius Cottman Sitting.JPG
    Julius Cottman Sitting.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These pictures are exactly what I was looking for. I will share a nice story about Julius soon.Thank you, Ed.
A quick story about Julius, Larry Loscotti comes in Greenies looking for action
in Baltimore the year 1993 or 1994 Julius plays him 50 a game OnePocket, Julius wins the first 3 games when Larry goes to his car and gets his own pool cue, Julius gets a phone call and the guy ask Julius if he knows who he is playing and He said yes the guy is Punky from Waldorf the guy tells Julius the guy is Larry Loscotti. when Larry comes back Julius tells him he got a phone call and has to leave and he will be back tomorrow. Julius wins 150.00. Larry comes back the next day and Julius tells him he wants 10-6 in One Pocket. They nevered played again.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

That indeed is Julius. Although his right hand looks pretty locked, he flexed it a good deal in the stroke. And may be a bit hard to tell, he held the same bridge hand that Bill Weenie Beenie Staton did, with the ring finger and middle finger together.

Julius played in the prime era of DC and Baltimore greats such as Cigar Tom Vanover, Richard and Greg Riggie, Tom Wirth, Bo Didley, Mike Seidel, Seymour Lessans, Murray the truck driver, Mike "Geese" Gerace, Steve Gumphries, Tucker Shepard, and of course, Mike Sigel. Many more of course.

Looking forward to your story, Paul.

All the best,
WW

Last edited: