Is it possible to buy Predator shafts already tapped for a South West cue?

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member

Thanks

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Order them from Seyberts

I don't see them on Seyberts' website. I am missing it or is it a special order?

BTW, for the OP, I got my predator shaft done by Southwest. I think (it was 10 years ago) I had Seyberts ship them a blank and then Laurie used their records of PIN numbers and matched the ring work to my cue. Aside from the 314, it is identical to the original shafts.

Gideon

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't see them on Seyberts' website. I am missing it or is it a special order?

BTW, for the OP, I got my predator shaft done by Southwest. I think (it was 10 years ago) I had Seyberts ship them a blank and then Laurie used their records of PIN numbers and matched the ring work to my cue. Aside from the 314, it is identical to the original shafts.

Gideon

Call and ask for Rick.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why on earth would you want to??? There is nothing wrong with SW shafts.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why on earth would you want to??? There is nothing wrong with SW shafts.

It isn't about something being "wrong". Some people like the performance of Predator or other 3rd party shafts. If you don't, that's fine. Some people like low squirt characteristics. Some people like the idea of having those low squirt characteristics pretty standard and easily replaceable. While I've played with several Southwest cues and shafts, ONE had very low squirt. Not as low as a 314, but not far off. Thing is, this was a 30 year old shaft that would be near impossible to replace or duplicate. On the other hand, I can go buy a 314 now that pretty much plays exactly like the one I used yesterday. So those are some reasons.

KMRUNOUT

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe it is just a back up shaft so the original stays clean ?

Otherwise it would be like putting chinese car rims on a GT car.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Wow......spend thousands on a cue and put an LD on it and have most
of what the cue is all about be completely gone.
Just wow........

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't about something being "wrong". Some people like the performance of Predator

The performance comes from the guy holding the cue.
There is deflection in EVERY shaft made.
It's just a little bit less in the LD shafts.
So you still have to compensate.

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
I am glad all geniuses need to to tell me how stupid I am. It's not pure coincidence that a very high percentage of the best players in the world play with LD shafts. There's a reason for it. If you play golf, I bet you are still hitting persimmon drivers. You play with what you want and I'll play with what I want.

In fact I think this years US Open champion plays with a SW with a Predator shaft. Jeremy Sossei is one of the best players on the east coast. SW cue with a Predator shaft. Thanks to all you experts.

Last edited:

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad all geniuses need to to tell me how stupid I am. It's not pure coincidence that a very high percentage of the best players in the world play with LD shafts. There's a reason for it. If you play golf, I bet you are still hitting persimmon drivers. You play with what you want and do I'll play with what I want.

In fact I think this years US Open champion plays with a SW with a Predator shaft. Jeremy Sossei is one of the best players on the east coast. SW cue with a Predator shaft. Thanks to all you experts.

very true jimmy, not mention why so many love ferule less boar shafts!!

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow......spend thousands on a cue and put an LD on it and have most
of what the cue is all about be completely gone.
Just wow........

Wow... Make critical comments about how other people spend their money; and about their preferences pertaining to a topic that's purely subjective.

Just wow........

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad all geniuses need to to tell me how stupid I am. It's not pure coincidence that a very high percentage of the best players in the world play with LD shafts. There's a reason for it. If you play golf, I bet you are still hitting persimmon drivers. You play with what you want and do I'll play with what I want.

I had two, both Franklins. I just don't understand why people think they can improve on what's already on the cue. I thought the first one with Indian rosewood was quite possibly the best cue I ever played with. I sold it because I thought I could improve on it and have regretted it ever since. I sure would not want to pay the money/wait the time for a Southwest today and then slap on a third party shaft. I admit I don't like laminated shafts but if you do, fine!

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had two, both Franklins. I just don't understand why people think they can improve on what's already on the cue. I thought the first one with Indian rosewood was quite possibly the best cue I ever played with. I sold it because I thought I could improve on it and have regretted it ever since. I sure would not want to pay the money/wait the time for a Southwest today and then slap on a third party shaft. I admit I don't like laminated shafts but if you do, fine!

It's not about "improving" on anything.

There are no performance standards when it comes to a pool cue. Everything is subjective, based on a particular players preferences. No change anyone can make to a cue can make is universally "better," or "improved"... only "different."

I still don't understand how people can criticize a person for taking their cue, that they bought and paid for, and pursuing a change that will alter the playing characteristics of that cue to meet their personal preferences.

Last edited:

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy,
I dont think Ryan Thweeten (ratcues) would have an issue doing this and he's always done great shaft builds for me.
Good luck
Casey