Dilemma: Buy a new Frey SP or refinish?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have a old Tim Scruggs SP, gonna have Bob refinish it and make a new shaft or buy a new Frey SP? Any opinions appreciated. THx

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have a old Tim Scruggs SP, gonna have Bob refinish it and make a new shaft or buy a new Frey SP? Any opinions appreciated. THx

if you love how your cue plays but not how it looks
refinish
if you are ready to try another cue have bob make you another cue
:)
if you go for a new cue from bob im sure you wont be dissappointed
and you could always sell your scruggs to offset the cost
jmho

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
Buy the Frey SP, play it for a while and if you don't like it, sell it to pay for the Scruggs refinish and shaft But hang on to the Frey while the Scruggs is in the shop so you have something to play with. Then sell it afterwards to cover your costs.

If you like the Frey, keep the Scruggs as is and you will have a collectible in original condition. I think you will like the Frey!

It's a win win.

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

If the cue plays well, why change? Wait for the new shaft and see if that plays as you like. Why are you even considering the change? Does something about the cue bother you or do you just want to try something different?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Results are in: Bob Frey is absolutely amazing. I decided to send the old beat up Scruggs SP to Bob for a refinish. Cue was delivered to Bob on Sat 12/28. He called me Monday 12/30 to let me know he got it, read my letter and said he would recommend refinishing it and they originally had built it in 79 or 80. Yesterday 1/5 I slept in til about 10 and woke up to my phone ringing and the voice on the other end saying "Did you get your cue". Took me a minute to realize it was Bob, he said he shipped it back already and thought I would be real happy with it. I got it today. Holy crap, talk about amazing turn around and 100% quality work. The cue looked 30 years old and was beat up pretty bad when i sent it in and had a wobble on top of it. Now it looks like it is brand new and seems straight as an arrow. I cannot begin to compliment Bob to the extent he deserves. I am one happy customer.