AI-powered billiard training app

MechaSnowflake

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that is impressive! I'd offer to help you out, but I have an iPhone 7. I have a home table and an overhead camera to record my play. But an old iPhone:(

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, hope you are doing well!

We are developing a mobile app that uses AI to track and record shots & misses in pocket billiard drills. We are looking for users willing to beta test what we have.

https://youtu.be/SoOn74-YouU

More info here: http://drillroom.ai/

Thanks!

So what do I need to do in order to use this? I am assuming I download the app from either the google play store or apple store. Then I put my phone on a stand so I can video myself playing pool. Then the AI track and keeps track of how well I am doing and tells me how to play better etc. That is what I am assuming.

Also since you are asking for testers how much will the finished product cost? Will it cost money to participate in the test?

What if I do not have my own table and I set this up in a pool hall will other people on the table or near the table get in the way? Will Probably have more questions.

As it stands right now I would do this but I do not have a tripod for my android smartphone.

Also does it matter the size of table I play on?

Also also good luck alot of the pool players are old and don't know much about tech.

Thanks

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that is impressive! I'd offer to help you out, but I have an iPhone 7. I have a home table and an overhead camera to record my play. But an old iPhone:(

I perused their website but didn't see phone requirements, did I miss it or are you assuming because you have an old phone it won't work?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m assuming.

But, on the YouTube video the description states it’s running real-time on iPhone 11. (Does not say what the minimum is).

I do follow Apple products religiously, and I know a bunch of AI specific sensors were added in the iPhone 10.

Those are the two reasons for my assumption.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m assuming.

But, on the YouTube video the description states it’s running real-time on iPhone 11. (Does not say what the minimum is).

I do follow Apple products religiously, and I know a bunch of AI specific sensors were added in the iPhone 10.

Those are the two reasons for my assumption.

Makes sense, as long as my phone works for calls and messages that's all I care about :)

I've got an older SE so I doubt it would work either. Time will tell.

bb9ball

Registered
From the Orange Loops developer website, it looks like they use ARKit 2 which works on iPhone 6s or later(iOS 12) and iPhone only.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the Orange Loops developer website, it looks like they use ARKit 2 which works on iPhone 6s or later(iOS 12) and iPhone only.

That would be great, thanks for the info. I put my email on their website, it would be fun to beta test this.

I know the video looks simple, but I could see this technology really taking off in pool. It could grow to recognize all shots, and tell you exactly how to hit a ball on the fly based on prior successes with the same or similar shot. It could be used for live-streaming, to inform the audience automatically which balls were made on the break, and put big numbers on the remaining balls on the table so the audience could follow along better. Lots of possibilities if the system can learn the balls and have a memory bank of millions of shots.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know the video looks simple, but I could see this technology really taking off in pool. It could grow to recognize all shots, and tell you exactly how to hit a ball on the fly based on prior successes with the same or similar shot. It could be used for live-streaming, to inform the audience automatically which balls were made on the break, and put big numbers on the remaining balls on the table so the audience could follow along better. Lots of possibilities if the system can learn the balls and have a memory bank of millions of shots.
It would be cool if the app could also automatically report the player's Tournament Performance Average (TPA) during and after a practice session or match. I think that alone could be a big selling point.

Regards,
Dave

poolplayher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi I tried the app this morning and it’s pretty neat! I performed the first Ball Pocketing drill and it incorrectly scored my runs. I pocketed all balls but it said I only pocket it two. Also, when I’m placing the balls on the table the coach keeps telling me that it can’t see the pocket or I have too many balls on the table when what I have on the table is what is required for the drill.

I will give it another go from the pool hall using my iPad front camera.

Very promising and a refresher to putting reinforcement dots on the table. I’m looking forward to haul you continue to improve the app. Do you plan to allow users and/or instructors to either create their own layout for load them? That would be awesome!

~ Kia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad this post got dug up, although it looks like no Android support so that leaves out quite a large number of users, like me.

R0B

Its working pretty well for me. I have my phone on my tripod and it picks up the table well. I was getting some incorrect scoring but if you dont walk in front of the camera and replace the balls in a smooth timely manner it works very well.

poolplayher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi I tried the app this morning and it’s pretty neat! I performed the first Ball Pocketing drill and it incorrectly scored my runs. I pocketed all balls but it said I only pocket it two. Also, when I’m placing the balls on the table the coach keeps telling me that it can’t see the pocket or I have too many balls on the table when what I have on the table is what is required for the drill.

I will give it another go from the pool hall using my iPad front camera.

Very promising and a refresher to putting reinforcement dots on the table. I’m looking forward to haul you continue to improve the app. Do you plan to allow users and/or instructors to either create their own layout for load them? That would be awesome!

~ Kia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tested the app from my iPad pro front camera from the poolhall mounted on a tripod. Works great. Pretty neat when using my airpods to listen to the coach. A slightly challenging, at least with my eyes LOL, setting up the balls looking at my ipad for guidance. I would suggest users cast to a TV instead. This app is great for home use, with the right TV setup to table for casting, great for poolhalls too.

From home, I setup my iphone 11 pro max (back camera) to a tripod instead of mounting it on a showcase window (mounted above 5 feet). I casted to my apple TV. This time the app worked much better. Maybe the window gave some slight movements the AI didn't like. The only issues I had with the new iphone setup was the scoring was incorrect for the short range, straight shot drill and the coach kept telling me that my cueball was blocked when it wasnt. I completed two of the positional drills and the scoring was perfect.

I love that the drill not only keeps score but also best streak, avg speed, and max speed. Pretty neat. I will definitely continue using it and look forward to additional drills added to the system. Again, I hope that the future holds for users being able to added/create their own drills, as well as existing instructions drills.

Kudos.

~Kia
McDermott Cue
N' the Zone Apparel
#TeamStraightPoolEye

Last edited: