Something new and very cool!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had dinner with John Bertone and his partners from Japan last week. They are the manufacturers (the Japanese guys) and distributors (John) of Kamui tips. John has done an amazing job of getting Kamui tips on the market and letting the pool world know about them. He is a hard working guy to say the least. And Masato is a very conscientious manufacturer who is earnestly trying to make the best tips possible. Whatever they are doing it seems to be working, as many top players swear by these tips. And Mika seems to have done all right playing with them!

But that's not what I wanted to share with you. John showed me this new product from Kamui called the Gator Grip. It's a very cool, super slim little box that is held together with magnets. Think credit card holder size. You slide the two pieces apart and voila there it is, the Gator Grip. What it is, is just about the coolest tip tool of all time! A flat surface of maybe a thousand or so little points made of carbon steel. Like a Tip Pik, but in a vastly improved version. Larger, easier to use and a very effective tool. Best of all, IT WORKS! Rub your tip across it and just like that, you've roughed it up perfectly. Fast, efficient and once again, EFFECTIVE!

I like this tool and no one is paying me to say this. I did get a free dinner at George's Greek Cafe in Long Beach and that's about it. :)
I wouldn't tell you about this new tip tool if I didn't really like it so much. I am a big fan of Willard's tip tool, but this may be even better. The points are finer and I love the way it roughs your tip so perfectly to take the chalk. You just have to see it and try it for yourself. I see so many new products in pool, it's not often I see something worth raving about. Well I just did.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That does sound cool. Any idea on when this will be available?

All I know is that it is new and they are introducing it to their dealers this week at the Trade Show in Vegas. I'm sure you'll see them somewhere soon. It's such a slick little case too, pure Japanese ingenuity!

I guess it's been out for a few months already. Some dealers already have them. That's a good thing. :)

Last edited:

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its here

All I know is that it is brand new and they are introducing it to their dealers this week at the Trade Show in Vegas. I'm sure you'll see them somewhere soon. It's such a slick little case too, pure Japanese ingenuity!
I practiced yesterday at a local room and the guy I played had one. The pro shop had them for sell. I have enough gadgets, so I never asked about the price.

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
Yeah I read about the Gator Grip about a month ago somewhere online but I can't remember where. Seemed like a good product and I will probably end up getting it when it becomes available.

I remember watching this youtube video when I first read about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ10K3FeYEw

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can buy them on here. I bought mine from Troy (koinkid). I think Benfica has them also. They come in black and brown and are $29.95 shipped. It works pretty good.

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
McDermott

Jay did they mention anything about their new relationship with McDermott? I just saw the new McDermott catalog Monday and it has McDermott-Kamui tips in it...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay did they mention anything about their new relationship with McDermott? I just saw the new McDermott catalog Monday and it has McDermott-Kamui tips in it...

Yes, they did mention something about it. I'm guessing some of the high end McDermott cues will come out with Kamui tips on them straight from the factory.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Benefits of being in Japan, I've had one of these for damn near 2 or 3 years now.
MULLY

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I read about the Gator Grip about a month ago somewhere online but I can't remember where. Seemed like a good product and I will probably end up getting it when it becomes available.

I remember watching this youtube video when I first read about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ10K3FeYEw

There is no need to rub a tool like this across the tip. Just hold the tool in one hand and roll the cue with the other hand across the tip [as shown in the video].

The tip tapper [for less money] can be used the same way. When you roll the tip across either tool [it knurls the tip]. This creates the texture so it will hold chalk. With a little practice you can put a nice texture on a tip in like 10 to 15 seconds.

It sure beats what I see in pool rooms. People sanding away, beating on there tips [with a tip tapper] which by the way, was given the wrong name. Just knurl the tip, be it a file, tip tapper, or this new tool, it does a better job and is a lot faster.

Rod

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
I recently tried a Kamuis about 3 weeks ago. I was sold the first hit.

Will play with the Kamuis black soft forever imo.

I have seen this tool first hand. It looks great, works great, and is very worth having.