Silver Member
3a7c2ad81f987ce5ba0572e74a109ad0.jpg
481a7487e1c63a345f371484d88c9726.jpg
f223986b70037e60cd11342064cac4b8.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Update: I just got the madman bridge and I am very impressed!

Very thick, stable and smooth!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't own anything else. Hard to get the original but I believe a knock-off is available at one of the popular online pool supply sites. Cheaper too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qHWbId0DGM&feature=related

I actually just ordered one a couple of days ago. I figured that if I want to, I can always glue down some thin leather or felt, but with the one I saw it didn't seem like it would be necessary.

And for all the worrying I always do about it, I have to be honest that I've never actually damaged a shaft even on those crappy cast metal bridge heads. Not saying it can't happen, but it just hasn't happened to me personally, even though I'm always expecting it will.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
i was always fond of this one....doesn't do everything perfect but man nothing comes close to as smooth or stable especially for long straight shots. good luck finding one not many were made.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 255

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Kamui bridge head and it's nice that it's clear and doesn't seem to scratch up the shaft. I rarely use it though cuz I mostly play on bar tables.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And for all the worrying I always do about it, I have to be honest that I've never actually damaged a shaft even on those crappy cast metal bridge heads. Not saying it can't happen, but it just hasn't happened to me personally, even though I'm always expecting it will.

It did happen to me. Scratches that were very noticeable, and they were right in the area of the shaft that you’d be touching with most shots. Right then and there I sought out a better mousetrap. Found out about the justa bridge, bought one and man am I happy with it. 100% endorsement.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm average height and a little overweight. On a 9' table I have trouble reaching anything much past the center pockets, so I use a bridge often. When I used wooden shafts, I scratched a couple of them on aluminum and plastic bridges. Nothing irreparable, but definitely annoying, so I started experimenting with various bridge heads. I have owned and used the following:

1) Moosehead - my first "personal" bridge head. A decent option, and as cheap as they come at only a few dollars. Our local pool hall has since upgraded all the bridges from the Russo to these. The material is very flimsy, though, and occasionally feels like it impacts my stroke.

2) Jump Caddy - these are sturdy plastic bridge heads have an offset "jump ring" intended to make jumping with the bridge easier. It is also great for getting over obstacle balls, which is my favorite feature because there is a gap between the jump ring and the bridge base. This gap makes it possible to site under the cue and see exactly where the cue is in relation to the cue ball. Also, the wings on the opposite side slide nicely around the rail, making some awkward shots near the bridge easier.

3) Just-a-bridge - I heard such great things about this bridge, and I was intrigued by the design, so I tried one out for a few weeks. I love the infinite motion, but the felt was very grabby, especially on soft touch shots like are often used in one-pocket. I never really got comfortable with this bridge and ended up selling it.

The biggest problem I had with all the above was connecting the bridge head to a stick - any stick. They were either too loose or too tight. The Moosehead and Jump Caddy had rubber grommets, while the Just-a-bridge had an adjustable collar, but none of them ever fit well on either a dedicated bridge cue, my break cue, or a house cue. Several times I had a bridge head fall off as I was stroking, so eventually I decided to get something with a more permanent connection.

4) Hightower Road Bridge - I saw this at the Super Billiards Expo and had to have it. The head is made out of a poured molded resin, It's super smooth and the most stable bridge I've ever used. Also, the telescoping shaft is super useful. The only real issue I had was it wasn't very travel friendly, so it stays at home now and is my home bridge. [NOTE: The ones they make now collapse to a much smaller size, but I have the original one that is a bit larger.]

5) A mechanically handy friend of mine, who had been keeping up with my bridge adventures, made a custom bridge for me which is what I use now. It is a hybrid of 3 & 4 above. He modified a telescoping shaft made for photography and a Jump Caddy head. He inserted a bolt into the end of the shaft and permanently fixed a nut in the head where the grommet used to be. The connection is super sturdy but is easily disassembled so it easily transports. The only thing that would be better is if the head was made of the same material as Hightower's.

At this point, the only other thing I've considered is designing my own bridge head. I have some ideas for what I would do differently, and if I can ever get comfortable with 3D printing, I may give it a shot. For now, though, I'm pretty happy with what I'm using.

Last edited: