Is this Stroke Crooked … or is it Camera Parallax?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does this mean snooker players have better cameras?
Funny.

Actually, snooker tournament videography is usually of better quality than typical pool match videos.

Also, top snooker players obviously have excellent aim, alignment, and stroking skills, with those gigantic tables and tiny pockets.

Also, many snooker players have more of a "piston" motion (rather than a "pendulum" motion), so there is less parallax change during the stroking motion.

So there. :grin:

Regards,
Dave

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you.

It might not be the only cause, but it is certainly a large factor.

Good idea.

The forearm does need to be in the plane of the shot for a straight stroke, but the upper arm and shoulder do not need to be in the plane. FYI, I discuss and demonstrate this in my stroke video. Check it out.

Agreed. The cue only needs to be pointing in the right direction at the brief moment of tip contact. Having a straight stroke can help with this, especially if you don’t align with your tip close to the CB.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks for the video, it is very helpful. I also tried the textbook stance. And just like you, I had lots of neck problems. I also never found my vision center alignment. But I was able to shoot center-ball straighter, especially drawing back long distances in a perfectly straight full-ball shot. With the open stance I find it myself putting a tiny bit of spin on the cueball that only shows up on long distance stop shots and draw shots. So, I still go to this for very accurate long distance straight in shots. But those rarely show up.

Thanks again,
DJ

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Also, top snooker players obviously have excellent aim, alignment, and stroking skills, with those gigantic tables and tiny pockets. ...
Except, of course, for Trump, who is remarkably crooked.:wink:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also, top snooker players obviously have excellent aim, alignment, and stroking skills, with those gigantic tables and tiny pockets.
Except, of course, for Trump, who is remarkably crooked.:wink:
Actually, his forward stroke is very straight. What is crooked is his alignment before he pivots just before his final forward stroke. This goes to show that any technique, however "irregular," can be mastered, even at the world-class level.

Regards,
Dave