An Observation on John Schmidt's Run, and Pool, and Alex Honhold

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently watched Free Solo. It is a documentary about Alex Honhold’s quest to free solo “El Capitan”. “Free Solo” means climbing a cliff with your hands, chalk, and no rope—in case you didn’t know. Perhaps, this goes without saying, but most “free solo-ers” live a short life.

I could not help but compare Alex—who is widely viewed as the best rock climber to ever live—with professional pool players. They are both engaging in disciplines that have no obvious or safe economic benefit and the market of people who care about these disciplines is somewhat limited. Nobody gives Alex Honhold money when he summits a free solo, he just gets to live another day.

In order to make his dream of pursuing rock climbing a reality, Alex Honhold lives out of a van. He climbs and trains to climb on a schedule he prepares. He controls his diet; his training, and we learn, even his relationships so that he can pursue his mission—rock climbing--an activity that can kill him and gives him no direct income. He does make money from books, tv, outdoor apparel sponsors, etc.

To me, pool players do almost exactly the opposite. They eat whatever, train whenever, their schedule is dictated by whether they can bum a ride to a tournament and split a room. They complain that no one sponsors the sport, etc., etc. Pool players want someone to make pool better. Most of them are not working to make themselves better.

In chasing Mosconi’s High Run, John Schmidt acted more like Alex Honhold, and less like a pool player. He set his own mission. If people wanted to get on board, then cool. If not, that’s o.k. too. He then committed himself to his mission for a period of time that he was willing to allow. To me, this is much braver than people are giving him credit for and indicative of someone that is acting on his life rather than complaining about life acting on him.

Running 626 is great, but pool needs more players like John Schmidt not because he ran 626 (which is totally gangster), but because pool would be better and more marketable if we could see players disciplined in pursuing a mission beyond placing in a bar table tournament—maybe it is placing in more bar table events than anyone. To me, the mission is not important, but having one is.

I hope John can leverage his great accomplishment for every cent he can muster—books, tv, movie, whatever. I think pool would be better, and it may find more success if its players took more responsibility for making their own path. Just my 0.02.

kollegedave

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive seen the film with the huber twins .
i totally agree with you .
one of the best posts about "the record ".

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I recently watched Free Solo. It is a documentary about Alex Honhold’s quest to free solo “El Capitan”. “Free Solo” means climbing a cliff with your hands, chalk, and no rope—in case you didn’t know. Perhaps, this goes without saying, but most “free solo-ers” live a short life.

I could not help but compare Alex—who is widely viewed as the best rock climber to ever live—with professional pool players. They are both engaging in disciplines that have no obvious or safe economic benefit and the market of people who care about these disciplines is somewhat limited. Nobody gives Alex Honhold money when he summits a free solo, he just gets to live another day.

In order to make his dream of pursuing rock climbing a reality, Alex Honhold lives out of a van. He climbs and trains to climb on a schedule he prepares. He controls his diet; his training, and we learn, even his relationships so that he can pursue his mission—rock climbing--an activity that can kill him and gives him no direct income. He does make money from books, tv, outdoor apparel sponsors, etc.

To me, pool players do almost exactly the opposite. They eat whatever, train whenever, their schedule is dictated by whether they can bum a ride to a tournament and split a room. They complain that no one sponsors the sport, etc., etc. Pool players want someone to make pool better. Most of them are not working to make themselves better.

In chasing Mosconi’s High Run, John Schmidt acted more like Alex Honhold, and less like a pool player. He set his own mission. If people wanted to get on board, then cool. If not, that’s o.k. too. He then committed himself to his mission for a period of time that he was willing to allow. To me, this is much braver than people are giving him credit for and indicative of someone that is acting on his life rather than complaining about life acting on him.

Running 626 is great, but pool needs more players like John Schmidt not because he ran 626 (which is totally gangster), but because pool would be better and more marketable if we could see players disciplined in pursuing a mission beyond placing in a bar table tournament—maybe it is placing in more bar table events than anyone. To me, the mission is not important, but having one is.

I hope John can leverage his great accomplishment for every cent he can muster—books, tv, movie, whatever. I think pool would be better, and it may find more success if its players took more responsibility for making their own path. Just my 0.02.

kollegedave

Nice post, and an apt comparison.

Unfortunately, I don't think pool would become more marketable if players were more disciplined in pursuing a mission beyond placing in a bar table tournament. The sad fact, I think, is that pool is not that marketable because most people just don't like watching pool, perhaps especially in the U.S.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free solo was great! My palms were sweaty as hell watching that climb lol.

Check out a similar documentary called "The Dawn Wall" which focuses on Tommy Caldwell. Tommy was the main guy in Free Solo that helped prepare Alex for the climb. His story is insane.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post. Alex is worth a few million though, so he maybe has more if a luxury to set goals and set his schedule. Now if only predator would by John a camper and send him on a promotional tour where he got paid handsomely...

HoustonInt

Big John's Cue Repair
Silver Member
Great post. I watched the documentary too and was so impressed at the concentration that is needed to complete the climb. One small lapse and he dies! Imagine if one could concentrate at pool at that level they may just break 626!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Geez, the pat about Alex is definitely compelling as well as fascinating -

... but, among this generation of pool professionals, do you really think Schmidt has committed himself to excellence in his craft more than guys like SVB, Niels Feijen, Dennis Orcullo, Ralf Souquet, JL Chang and Josh Filler? Those guys have probably played pool nearly every day for most of their playing lives, and have regularly put their excellence on display for the world to behold with awe and reverence.

Schmidt has achieved something very special and I'm very happy for him, but his choice to focus on play without an opponent has had him toiling in obscurity for years compared to the other guys.

Pool needs guys like SVB, Niels Feijen, Dennis Orcullo, Ralf Souquet, JL Chang and Josh Filler a lot more than guys like Schmidt. Let's hope here are some on the horizon.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

... but, among this generation of pool professionals, do you really think Schmidt has committed himself to excellence in his craft more than guys like SVB, Niels Feijen, Dennis Orcullo, Ralf Souquet, JL Chang and Josh Filler? Those guys have probably played pool nearly every day for most of their playing lives, and have regularly put their excellence on display for the world to behold with awe and reverence.

Schmidt has achieved something very special and I'm very happy for him, but his choice to focus on play without an opponent has had him toiling in obscurity for years compared to the other guys.

Pool needs guys like SVB, Niels Feijen, Dennis Orcullo, Ralf Souquet, JL Chang and Josh Filler a lot more than guys like Schmidt. Let's hope here are some on the horizon.

A couple of things: your response highlighted an imprecision in my original post, which I intended to be more about American poolplayers then European or Asian pool players. There is no doubt that those players you mentioned exhibit excellence; however none of them announced to the world that they would try and break my Mosconi's record and then proceeded to do it.

While I don't know as much about the personal stories of the European or Asian pool players you mentioned, most of the pool world knows that s v b has set out his own sort of mission and pursued it with discipline. His story is compelling and Worthy of the sponsorships and accolades he receives. Poolplayers would do well to emulate him as well.

My post wasn't intended to only highlight pool excellence. Instead I meant to highlight a pool player that, in my view, is working to make his corner of the pool World better rather than asking someone to make it better for him.

It's not wrong to disagree on the relative value of high run contests or the 57th race to 11 in 9 ball with shot clocks and goofy breaks, because no one else can break as good as Shane, but I don't think it's wrong for pool players, American players especially, to take charge of their own fate if they want to play pool. Nor is it wrong to create a story or a narrative over and above simple competition.

Alex Honhold eats vegetables in a van to pursue his dream. Most american players wont set aside an hour to practice their break.

Kollegedave

Last edited:

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post. Alex is worth a few million though, so he maybe has more if a luxury to set goals and set his schedule. Now if only predator would by John a camper and send him on a promotional tour where he got paid handsomely...

I would argue that Alex is worth a couple of million because he sets his goals and not that he sets goals because he is worth a couple of million. If he cared about money he would have stopped climbing before el
Capitan.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Nice post.

Honhold would be a cool name for a free climber, but it's Honnold.

Better bust out the shorty cue, this wall is a bit tight.

rFnToE.jpg

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member

That's "Alex Honnold" and he will make money for the rest of his life just living and with endorsements for things like chalk, Most likely Masters..

Mosconi's home life depended on his game from what I've heard. Honnold accomplished something that most likely will never be done again because he made it his life and was all in. Now if some future old guy climbs a bigger mountain with the again new and better super version 687.034 kablooie chalk and high tech shoes at a different mountain he won't be breaking Honnold's record. He will be setting a new one.

That said I would say he and or his promoter are acting like a "pool player" and trying to hustle the world into believing he broke a record when he in fact did not. He set a similar record using different equipment.

kollegedave

Can't agree more. It is an awesome NEW record for sure on a 9 footer with a revo shaft. I wonder if he could do it on the same mountain with the same equipment? I mean a random 8 footer with an old crappy cue and old old old pool hall balls? It's just to bad he's using the Mosconi name to gain attention by saying he beat his record. But pool needs any free attention it can find I guess.

So if the door is open to advancements like carbon fiber shafts, does that mean I can use a computer to tell me the order of balls to hit and how to hit them for the best run out? There's already a system out there that lines up your cue. Can we use those new super magnets in the balls and pockets to draw in the ball if we even get close? is that ok? (Not to me)

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

we have svb , orcollo ,feijen and souquet since 15 to 20 years .
and pool is more dead than ever in history .
in this week pool gets a little international attention , because something very special is happend .
the players doday do nothing to promote the sport or bring pool further .
they play every tournament they can get , and its all by the promoters .
we need characters like sigel , hopkins , strickland or mizerak to change something .
and of course the match of the decade :
" the ghost of willie mosconi vs. john schmidt "

keep in stroke everybody

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Give it a rest already.

I don't understand. What do you have against John?

Dennis, Alex, Shane .....all the top tier are awesome. We dont need you or anyone telling us how great they are. We also dont need you telling us how "not great" John is.

Your wrong on this one. I know your not wrong often with pool but, this time my friend, you are.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

kollegedave

I dont know you but:

Your post is positively the best I've ever read on AZB.......

There are some that dont like the idea of someone, heck, anyone writing something that is taken in by the masses moreso than their own.

Again, bravo!!!!!

Tap TAP TAP!!!!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your entire post shows why we have no chance at being anything more then a casual game. He didn’t break a record? He did it on a bigger table with slippery cloth and he didn’t beat it by 1 ball. He did it by a 100!! Mosconi did it on the same table he was contracted to play on with his own cue. He didn’t just walk into a pool hall and randomly choose a table and play with a house cue he picked up as you make it sound . So in comparison your saying the current longest drive in golf isn’t really a record or the current fastest man in the 40 isn’t really the fastest because they are wearing modern shoes or using modern equipment to set it? I bet if I research your posts ( which I’m not because it’s not worth my effort) your one of the dissenters of Revo shafts saying they make no difference and now it’s some kind of unfair advantage. Out of all the posts I’ve read talking about this accomplishment whether on social media or here yours was the most uneducated ridiculous post I’ve read.

That's "Alex Honnold" and he will make money for the rest of his life just living and with endorsements for things like chalk, Most likely Masters..

Mosconi's home life depended on his game from what I've heard. Honnold accomplished something that most likely will never be done again because he made it his life and was all in. Now if some future old guy climbs a bigger mountain with the again new and better super version 687.034 kablooie chalk and high tech shoes at a different mountain he won't be breaking Honnold's record. He will be setting a new one.

That said I would say he and or his promoter are acting like a "pool player" and trying to hustle the world into believing he broke a record when he in fact did not. He set a similar record using different equipment.

Can't agree more. It is an awesome NEW record for sure on a 9 footer with a revo shaft. I wonder if he could do it on the same mountain with the same equipment? I mean a random 8 footer with an old crappy cue and old old old pool hall balls? It's just to bad he's using the Mosconi name to gain attention by saying he beat his record. But pool needs any free attention it can find I guess.

So if the door is open to advancements like carbon fiber shafts, does that mean I can use a computer to tell me the order of balls to hit and how to hit them for the best run out? There's already a system out there that lines up your cue. Can we use those new super magnets in the balls and pockets to draw in the ball if we even get close? is that ok? (Not to me)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your entire post shows why we have no chance at being anything more then a casual game. He didn’t break a record? He did it on a bigger table with slippery cloth and he didn’t beat it by 1 ball. He did it by a 100!! Mosconi did it on the same table he was contracted to play on with his own cue. He didn’t just walk into a pool hall and randomly choose a table and play with a house cue he picked up as you make it sound . So in comparison your saying the current longest drive in golf isn’t really a record or the current fastest man in the 40 isn’t really the fastest because they are wearing modern shoes or using modern equipment to set it? I bet if I research your posts ( which I’m not because it’s not worth my effort) your one of the dissenters of Revo shafts saying they make no difference and now it’s some kind of unfair advantage. Out of all the posts I’ve read talking about this accomplishment whether on social media or here yours was the most uneducated ridiculous post I’ve read.

Yep, another, wait....not another....probably a regular that's got yet another account to do his trolling with.

You cant fix stupid.

JL in ATL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Bashers

Yep, another, wait....not another....probably a regular that's got yet another account to do his trolling with.

You cant fix stupid.

It's almost enough to make me quit reading the post about the RECORD BREAKING RUN. John Did it!!! Enough from the haters!

Regards,

John - unfortunately not Schmitt

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's almost enough to make me quit reading the post about the RECORD BREAKING RUN. John Did it!!! Enough from the haters!

Regards,

John - unfortunately not Schmitt

I've heard the same thing from at least three other members.

We all looked up to Willie and still do and always will. John running more balls is not a slap in the face or anything.

John worked damn hard when not one other pro player would even consider trying it. Well, all I can say is:

The early bird gets the worm!!!!!

Go John, Go!!!!