OB Break Cue/Shaft review?

Monkey-Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for a few reviews on the above product. I have searched on both the product review and cue section but no joy.

Just curious to see how the shaft stands up over time and if anyone has had problems with them in the past as I'm looking to purchase the shaft for my break cue? I use an OB1 shaft so know the quality is good, but it wouldn't get as much of a hammering as their break shaft would.

Anything would be great :)

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been using an OB Break shaft on an X-Breaker butt for quite some time. Zero issues. Always be sure you keep a pad installed under the tip (as per spec) to spread the load. They hold up just fine.

Monkey-Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been using an OB Break shaft on an X-Breaker butt for quite some time. Zero issues. Always be sure you keep a pad installed under the tip (as per spec) to spread the load. They hold up just fine.

Thanks mdavis228. I know all about the pad needing to be kept under the tip...my OB1 will need a replacement soon.

Anyone else have any input?

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my friend was using an OB break and look what happend.
ob cues.jpg

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my friend broke a 9ball rack and i guess he hit it real hard and caused the shaft to shatter like this.i have nothing against with OB cuemaker but after seeing this,i won't be buying any OB cues anymore.well that is me.you always have an option.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've used a friends break shaft. i like it a lot. i bet it would play great with a softer tip! it's heavy as a gorilla's c*ck so it'll forward balance just about whatever cuebutt you throw it on

RBC

Deceased
my friend broke a 9ball rack and i guess he hit it real hard and caused the shaft to shatter like this.i have nothing against with OB cuemaker but after seeing this,i won't be buying any OB cues anymore.well that is me.you always have an option.

Jaycast,

Sorry that your friend had a problem. I'd like to get it fixed up for him. Please call me or send me a pm with his contact information, and I'll get in touch with him.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com
877-399-9901

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of the original OB break cues / shafts. Prototype or very early production, I'm guessing. I bought it 99% new from Steve Lipsky through the forums. Thanks again Steve.

I had a phenolic tipped break cue before than I never got very good at hitting.

After about a month of using the OB break cue I was crushing and squating the cueball when breaking 8-ball. The extra control it gave me let me be able to put a lot more power into the break, without the fear of losing the cueball all the time.

Everyone I've let use it has liked it too. Definitely recommend them!

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
Jaycast,

Sorry that your friend had a problem. I'd like to get it fixed up for him. Please call me or send me a pm with his contact information, and I'll get in touch with him.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com
877-399-9901

wow, good on royce to offer out of the blue to make amends. now that's customer service you don't see nowdays.:thumbup:

i never see anyone from any of the other brands trolling az to make sure their customers are happy.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have an OB break shaft for approximately two years and have never had a problem with it. I am pretty hard on equipment but I can tell you from personal experience that the OB Break Shaft is TOUGH as nails and if you ever experienced a "failing" with the shaft, I expect that OB Cues will be there to make it right.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an OB break shaft with a cheap black Players butt. Terrific set up. OB shaft is stiff, but not too stiff, and the Samsara tip suits it perfectly. I hate the phenolic tip/ferrule combos on most modern break cues, and I find most regular playing shafts too flexible. The OB shaft is just right. Has held up to many, many breaks with zero signs of wear. No better shaft for breaking available, IMO.

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaycast,

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com
877-399-9901

Thanks Royce.I will pass this message to my friend.

Monkey-Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Im looking to purchase a OB Break shaft with a radial joint in the new year. I'll let people know how I get on :)

P.S - Customer Service by OB is just fantastic! As Royce shows in his post!

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
Posting an OB break shaft on eBay in a couple hours for a Jacoby 5/16-14 joint, if anyone is interested.
Mark

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I have used oodles of different break cues. I really like the OB break shaft (haven't tried the whole cue, just put the shaft on my own spare cue butt). Like a Predator BK2, it has very low deflection.

I think if you like the BK/BK2 you'll like the OB Breaker, and vice-versa. I'm sure some might be able to point out some differences, but at least I feel they are quite comparable.

My only complaint is that I don't like to carry a dedicated break cue for space reasons. So I use a dedicated jump/break cue. Given the choice, for breaking I'd much rather use my OB Breaker.

As for quality/build issues I wouldn't worry about that. There are lots of threads on here from people posting how their BK exploded, too. It's rare but it happens (less rare for those who break with a lot of shaft bending). OBCues is one of the most reasonable builders out there. I've always seen them stand behind their products.