We All Lost Dear Friend - Bob Byrne

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For many of us, pool is more than just a game. This is a culture we live in. It defines us in many ways. We may be parents and lawyers and mechanics and engineers but when we allow ourselves the time for our minds to wander, we're pool players. Robert Byrne not only helped us build the tools we would need but he also gave us perspective on the game's history and its contributions. I wouldn't be the player I am today without him. I would't love this game as much as I do if it weren't for him. Thank you, Mr. Byrne, for dedicating so much of your life to the game we all love.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very fitting place for Bob's table. Humbly, You Dr. Dave and Mr. Jewett have done so much for us with your videos, examples and explanations of the game. Many thanks to you.

Respectfully,

-Kat,

I certainly feel honored and blessed to have Bob's table in my basement.

I will do my best to honor his memory by doing the best work possible using his table.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob left his mark on everyone he touched. He was unforgettable for his wry sense of humor and loving manner with friends and strangers alike. His legacy will live on in the best billiard books ever written. Thanks Bob for everything you did to better this game. I wish I had been man enough to tell you that I loved you, cause I did. :lovies:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Sad news

I've heard some good stories about bob, great books. Wish I had the time to help with his pool table months ago.
Condolences to friends and family.
He will be missed by many.

Rob.M

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
This one hits hard.

Thank you for your years of dedication to the sport and the transfer of knowledge.

RIP.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rest in peace, Mr. Byrne. Your books were my first introduction to the cue sports proper and remain a regular source of inspiration and reference for me thirty years on.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Byrne was first writer I learned pool from. Without him I could still be banger or not playing pool at all.
Rest in Peace.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darn... first book I ever bought close to 25 years ago and it taught me so much. Rip

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
People always recommended Bob Byrne videos to me when I got back into the game after a long layoff.
I still have the VHS tapes in a box somewhere.

Although I didn't know Bob, I always appreciated his contribution to the game.

RIP Robert Byrne

I shown I don't know how many players his video 2 about the tangent line stuff. It stands the test of time.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I certainly feel honored and blessed to have Bob's table in my basement.

I will do my best to honor his memory by doing the best work possible using his table.

That might be the first table to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Jeff Livingston

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I shown I don't know how many players his video 2 about the tangent line stuff. It stands the test of time.

Jeff Livingston

That's where I learned about the tangent line.
After the first 6 or so video's from Bob I was a pool expert from a league player standpoint.

Based on Robert's overall contribution to the game, he is a Hall of Fame player.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember how much of a revelation it was reading his book for the first time. Instead of listening to the jokers at the pool room say "you've got to pop your wrist to make this shot" or some other nonsense, there actually were principles that made sense in pool. And we are so lucky that he was such a great and funny writer at the same time.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another great article about Bob ... RIP

Read More at:
http://www.telegraphherald.com/news..._source&utm_campaign=news_feed_search_results

Late TH columnist leaves behind legacy of laughter

BY BEN JACOBSON ben.jacobson@thmedia.com Dec 8, 2016

Seven years ago, Robert Byrne issued a bold invitation to “Behold (his) Shorts.”

A decade’s worth of humorous musings in the Telegraph Herald were compiled into a bound collection and unleashed on the public. Though the title referred to the length of the 93 columns and essays contained therein, the self-deprecating wordsmith gamely posed in boxers for the book’s cover.

And though Byrne’s passing Tuesday at the age of 86 undoubtedly leaves a void, family and friends said his levity and love will live on.

“Everybody just loved him,” said his wife, Cindy Nelms- Byrne. “He was always friendly and honest and nice and kind, but also very funny. He’d come up with some remark that would leave everybody laughing hysterically.”

Byrne was born in Dubuque in 1930, one of four boys produced through the pairing of Thomas and Clara Byrne. He went on to earn a degree in civil engineering from the University of Colorado.

For many years, Byrne served as an editor for Western Construction, a trade magazine in San Francisco. But eventually he turned his passion for writing into a full-time career.

Byrne’s way with words helped him connect with Cindy, who, in 1986 wrote a fan letter after reading one of his humorous quotations. About one month later, Cindy received a phone call.

“We started talking and we started writing every day and we started talking every day on the phone, when long-distance (calls) were expensive,” she said. “About a month after that, he came out to see me, pretending he was doing research. He was doing research — research on me.”

The couple married in 1991 and traveled the world, logging stops in Alaska, New Zealand and even living for a time in Spain.

Byrne returned to Dubuque in 1995 and was drawn into the Telegraph Herald fold in 2000 after novelist Thomas Gifford’s declining health left him unable to continue as a columnist. Byrne, a mutual friend of Gifford and TH Executive Editor Brian Cooper, was persuaded to step in.

“He had plenty of other projects, and it took some coaxing, but he agreed,” Cooper said. “And so TH readers for years were the beneficiaries of his creativity, wit and humor. I loved working with Bob.”

Byrne also penned multiple novels and stories, one of which — “Memories of a Non-Jewish Childhood” — was made into a musical by David Resnick.

“I was looking for some original Dubuque material and everybody kept saying, ‘You’ve got to read Robert Byrne,’” Resnick said. “I read (Memories of a Non-Jewish Childhood) and there were such wonderful characters.”

In Byrne, Resnick found a friend, an editor and inspiration.

“He’s got this keen wit and a kind heart,” Resnick said. “That’s such a great combination.”

Byrne initially was skeptical of his book’s ability to be adapted, Resnick said. But, after “quite an adventure,” the show debuted 12 years ago at the Grand Opera House. A streamlined revival of the musical, re-dubbed “Fish on Friday,” will debut at Bell Tower Theater in August. But Resnick promised the “fun and polite irreverence” of the original show and its “lovable rascal” scribe remain intact.

Writing wasn’t Byrne’s only passion. He was a renowned expert on pool and billiards, a talent he shared through writings and instructional videos. In 2001, Byrne was inducted into the Billiard Hall of Fame.

Byrne leaves behind a son, Russell, two grandchildren, several nieces and nephews and two of his three brothers. That his siblings — ages 91 and 95 — would outlive Byrne was something of a sore spot for the jokester, to whom no subject was off-limits for a wisecrack.

“He’s pretty mad that he died before them,” Cindy said.

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such sad news. Bob's books have been a constant source of inspiration and knowledge for me throughout the years, and I truly regret never having the opportunity to have met him. He was a titan of the billiards world, and he will be missed.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw his do his thing on a pool table years ago...what a treat. He will be sorely missed.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    151.5 KB · Views: 441

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The book on McGoorty (several titles), IMO, has the best content for another pool movie. His Book of Great Pool Stories introduced many of us to the the original Walter Tevis Hustler, De Oro's Bladder, and the Hungarian Cinch.

His Standard Videos on Pool and Billiards introduced me to the concept of line position and how to aim a masse'.

I've also written on Facebook what Bob Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards meant to me as a forever connection to my grandfather. Among everything that's already been said here, that book also introduced most of us to the existence of a Mr. Bob Jewett, who has led the discussion of the science in billiards for several decades now, well before the internet.

Thank you for everything you did, Mr. Byrne.

Freddie

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
His first book was a revelation to me. Still the first book I recommend for anyone.
I spent many hrs pouring over his words and pics. Thank you so much, Bob.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news. Thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the
family and friends. Rest in peace Mr. Byrne.