We All Lost Dear Friend - Bob Byrne

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The book on McGoorty (several titles), IMO, has the best content for another pool movie. His Book of Great Pool Stories introduced many of us to the the original Walter Tevis Hustler, De Oro's Bladder, and the Hungarian Cinch.

His Standard Videos on Pool and Billiards introduced me to the concept of line position and how to aim a masse'.

I've also written on Facebook what Bob Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards meant to me as a forever connection to my grandfather. Among everything that's already been said here, that book also introduced most of us to the existence of a Mr. Bob Jewett, who has led the discussion of the science in billiards for several decades now, well before the internet.

Thank you for everything you did, Mr. Byrne.

Freddie

Tap, tap, tap.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The book on McGoorty (several titles), IMO, has the best content for another pool movie. ...
The McGoorty movie got as far as a revised screenplay and then the movie executive who was its shepherd got replaced in a management shakeup and the project got shelved. I think if it had kept Danny's attitude and one-liners it would have been great.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Ages ago after learning about Bob's writing endeavors, whenever I had a chance to pick up some of his other published works, I would load them in my briefcase and take them to the BCA Trade Show.

For several years I would trap him and have him autograph the books. He would always say....Again?

RIP Bob

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I decided to go through Bob's Standard Book for the umpteeth time, but now I have a table, so I can actually shoot the shots right after I read about them.

It seems like a way to remember him in a really good way.

I'm up to page 36 and already (re)discovered 2 shots that had slipped my mind over the years.

Thanks (again), Bob!

Jeff Livingston

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Robert Byrne's trick shot book.....
...he showed a set up....one-ball froze, one diamond from the corner pocket...
...cue-ball froze one diamond from the one-ball....
...two-ball froze one ball width behind the cue-ball...

The shot is to make the one and draw back to carom the two.

Bob wrote "This shot is worth the price of the book.'
I agree....it explained a lot of shot reactions that I only knew intuitively before.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Can anyone really call themselves a "pool player" that has not read at least one of Mr. Byrne's book. I don't think so, but that's just me :)

He moved the game with his books, his words and for the first time, his very well crafted diagrams that were "spot" on, and showed you exactly how the balls would come of the rail, etc.

Nice article in BD this month, worth the read. Pick up a copy, you won't be disappointed.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a teenager, and without the internet as we know it today, I was told simply to get all books with his name on them.

I spent a day driving to every book store and library in town looking for the ''Burns'' books, having no idea how the last name was spelled. I spent the day empty-handed until I finally found a copy and learned what I was supposed to be looking for.

Then I drove back to all those books stores and bought everything I could find.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I talked to a old friend who mentioned meeting bob on a non pool related travel..
When he mentioned pool to bob, bob said how he hated pool and it's people. Bob told my friend how he's wrote 50+ books and that his pool books was the worst sellers out of all of them...
Sounded kinda off/odd to me...
I think he was referring to his love of carom billiards, not pool and my friend misunderstood.

Rob.M

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I talked to a old friend who mentioned meeting bob on a non pool related travel..
When he mentioned pool to bob, bob said how he hated pool and it's people. Bob told my friend how he's wrote 50+ books and that his pool books was the worst sellers out of all of them...
Sounded kinda off/odd to me...
I think he was referring to his love of carom billiards, not pool and my friend misunderstood.
Rob.M
I think someone must have been pulling someone's leg or something was seriously misunderstood. He sold a lot more pool/billiard books than his suspense or joke books. I think his Standard Book passed 500,000 copies.