Kamui Black Clear Vs. Regular Kamui black..

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To learn more about Kamui products see the link below, if you need anything feel free to PM me. if you already are getting some kind of discount please let me know where you need to be and I will see what I can do, our advertised prices are restricted by MAP. THx Tom

http://www.kamuitips.com

I have read every comment I can find about Kamui Clear Black tips and am going to have one put on my playing cue next week. My one question/concern is about which one to put on: the Kamui Clear Black Soft or Super Soft. I have been playing almost exclusively with (...please don't throw tomatoes when I say this...) a Tiger Everest. What I'd like to know is: is the Kamui Clear Black Soft softer than the Tiger Everest? If it's very close, I'll try the Super Soft. I want close but a little softer than what I've been using.

drhanson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read every comment I can find about Kamui Clear Black tips and am going to have one put on my playing cue next week. My one question/concern is about which one to put on: the Kamui Clear Black Soft or Super Soft. I have been playing almost exclusively with (...please don't throw tomatoes when I say this...) a Tiger Everest. What I'd like to know is: is the Kamui Clear Black Soft softer than the Tiger Everest? If it's very close, I'll try the Super Soft. I want close but a little softer than what I've been using.

My feel tells me a Kamui Clear Black Soft is very close to a Tiger Everest in terms of hardness. If you want softer, definitely go with the Super Soft.

Rob_Marrs

I have a Kamui clear super soft on my Z2 and my 314 3...

Up until now I hated Kamui tips... tried the CLEAR backing, no glazing at all! Won't go back to anything else!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Same exact tip, only difference is the clear has a clear pad. Both will play the same.

I disagree.

I have tried the SS versions of both. I prefer the Black. The Clear gave a little more of a dead hit to the feel. Still didnt play bad, Ive definitely played with worse tips, but the black was just better IMO.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Why does everyone seem to hate the Tiger Everest? I tried Kamui Brown soft, medium, and hard and also black medium and they all felt much softer than the Tiger Everest. I usually have my cue guy knock about 1/3 of the tip off when new because I dislike them when they are real tall. I have absolutely no problems or issues with my Tiger. To me it feels like a harder tip than the Kamuis.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always played with a Regular Kamui black med. Whats your opinion on the Kamui black clear? Or what tip do you feel may be better?

Of the Kamui tips my favorite is the actual "regular" Kamui.
Not the blacks.
They're actually very good tips.
Try them before the blacks.

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Kamui clear super soft on my Z2 and my 314 3...

Up until now I hated Kamui tips... tried the CLEAR backing, no glazing at all! Won't go back to anything else!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what the clear backing has to do with glazing, but if it works for you, that is all that matters, even if this thread is over a year old.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always played with a Regular Kamui black med. Whats your opinion on the Kamui black clear? Or what tip do you feel may be better?

I've installed a whole lot of tips, and many many Kamuis. Here is my impressions:

1) The clear pad is proposed for the purposes of preventing glue from wicking up into the lower layers of leather and altering the hardness and play of the tip. Every installer may use different glue, different sanding techniques, etc. Trust me, these differences are real and do make a difference. I have many times cut off a brand new Kamui installed by well respected cue guys because the customer thought it played like crap, was the wrong hardness, miscues constantly, etc. They had me put a new one on. I'm pretty OCD about it and have yet to see anyone do a better job. For *me*, the difference is very small in terms of install.

2) As an installer, the clear tips are better and worse. On the plus side, I don't have to do the extra steps I do with the non clear to make sure I get consistent glueing and play. On the flip side, because the clear pad is much harder than the leather, is is a tiny bit extra work to make everything beautifully flush. I mean, ok maybe liek 60 extra seconds lol. Overall I prefer to install clears because it saves me that first step, which takes a few minutes.

3) As a player, I am very sensitive to the hit of tips and very very picky. For me, I find the clear to have a very subtly different hit. I would have to say that I prefer it. It sort of feels more solid, no other way to say it. I have thought about this and I wonder if the way it transfers forces into the ferrule on off center hits is at all different. I could imagine the clear pad as kind of collecting all the various horizontal forces and filtering them into a more direct axial force (is that the right word? meaning in the direction down the shaft). I have no clue if this is happening. However, I am quite certain that the feel is very slightly different. And I mean *very* slight.

4) I think the clear looks cool. There. I said it.

As for other tips, its funny. Last night I had a dream about being at this big tip store. They had millions of tips. I was looking at all these very interesting new tips. I had a Zan tip in my hand, which is weird because I don't think I have ever seen one not on a cue.

Anyway, I've hit with the G2 hard, and must say it is fantastic. Has that springy feel that the old Moori mediums had. I liked it a lot. I would say that the G2 hard is a hair softer than the Kamui Black Medium. Also, the Kamui Brown Medium might be the best one they make. This one just feels awesome! The only drawback for me is that the brown Kamui's don't burnish up quite as nice as the blacks...it seems chalk accumulates between the layers. It might just be more visually obvious. However, I don't remember ever seeing a Kamui brown that wasn't brand new that didn't look this way. It doesn't affect the play in the least. But as I said being slightly OCD about tips, I care about the looks. I feel like the Brown plays a hair softer than the black. Also, I feel as though the balck (particularly the medium), can hold a more aggressive curve to it than the brown, if you like that. I love the feeling of a tip that is very hard, but very round and somewhat tall. On small diameter shafts like my OB Pro Plus, the balck medium is phenomenal. On my 314-2 though I use the black soft, but do a little special something to it to make it play a bit harder. Really my personal preparation for the black soft is my favorite tip out there.

Anyway, hope all this helps!

KMRUNOUT

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KM, that's an excellent post.

What I was saying above in my post about the black Kaumis is kinda what you talk about at the end of your message, I like the feel of the brown more - seems TO ME to be more lively and not numb - and I've never liked how the blacks always glaze over after just a few hits and get this sandy feeling with no real texture though.
On the blacks I keep having to use the Kamui tip tool but not nearly so much on the browns or if I use a Triangle or the other tips.

My favorite tip lately has been Medium Wizard and the ol' trusty Triangle.
Get a good triangle and you'll never want to change...lol

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a Kitech or G2 medium. Kamui is far inferior. I've used almost all types of Kamuis and they're not good tips, it's all marketing and brainwashing.

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got an original Moori medium on my McDermott D4 and a Kamui Black medium on my Mezz. Both great tips, can't think of anything bad to say about either one. I've tried a dozen or so tips on the Mezz and settled on the Kamui. No glazing and the feel and playability are perfect ... for me anyway.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All my cues had Kamui Black medium tips I had installed 2 years ago and today there's not a Kamui Black tip on any of my cues.........switched to Kamui Clear Black and went down in hardness from medium to soft and super soft.......only way to go with Kamui Clear Black....no glazing problem and the tips play better.....actually far better....than anything else. My Prewitt cue came with original Moori brown tips so naturally I kept those on my cue's shafts otherwise were it not for being original Moori tips, that cue would have Kamui Clear Black in a soft and super soft hardness.....don't be mislead by the anti-Kamui morons on the Forum either. Contact Shooter08 (Tom) who's the Kamui dealer I purchased all my Kamui Clear Black tips from.

Matt B.

I switched to Kamui Clear Black a while back and really like the Kamui tip a lot. I have been thinking about going down in hardness also and appreciate Bavafongoul's comments. I will probably try the Kamui Clear Black SS next time. But these tips last. They hold up well. No glazing. I don't have to reshape it often. It holds chalk well. It's a good tip. It doesn't really matter to me whether the clear pad is a marketing thing, or whether it serves a purpose, or not. It's a good tip.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a Kitech or G2 medium. Kamui is far inferior. I've used almost all types of Kamuis and they're not good tips, it's all marketing and brainwashing.

This really details the differences between the clear and the not clear. The other totally unrelated tips you mentioned are good though.

KMRUNOUT