Threads in my new Predator shaft crumbled

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this Predator ll Blank about 6 -7 years ago & had it threaded for my 3/8 x 10 butt. I put it aside til my Predator 1 expired & now that I'm ready for it the threads deteriorated and crumbled. Is there any way to drill it out & put a dowel in it & re-thread it or is it firewood?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this Predator ll Blank about 6 -7 years ago & had it threaded for my 3/8 x 10 butt. I put it aside til my Predator 1 expired & now that I'm ready for it the threads deteriorated and crumbled. Is there any way to drill it out & put a dowel in it & re-thread it or is it firewood?

Yes, it can be fixed. Phenolic could be used and may be more durable and longer lasting, but it will change the hit.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TC Mabe re-threaded a McDermott for me with a phenolic insert. Does good work quick turnaround. He's in Jersey.

Blackdiamondcues.com

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

Phenolic Insert or Drill out and Do Purple-Heart.

Phenolic Inserts run about 9.00 each. The CueMan, sells these in singles and packs of 10.

Good Luck

Mike 'acedonkeyace' Kennnedy

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I recently had Mike Morgan put in a different pin on my Bludworth. I wholeheartedly recommend him.

Check your local poolhall, many cuemakers also do repair work.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Yes, believe it or not, send it to Tiger in Burbank along with your butt - call them first if you wish. They worked on my Predator partials. They'll install a phenolic plug and thread into that. Those threads are infinitely more sturdy than the wood. Also, they can then change it to fit different threads if you wish. I had some changed out from 5/16 x 14 to radial and so forth. They have the complete set-up to do this because that's how their shafts are threaded.

I highly recommend this. I've never had a cross thread or problem with any of their joints and I've had a lot of shafts from them over the years. The reason to send the butt with it is because they can do a perfect fit and alignment that way.

Last edited:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow.... this sounds like this has happened to other peoples shafts too. I thought I was the first. Almost threw it in the dumpster.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fix

I don't see why you can't use a wood plug if you prefer that hit. I can fix it. Send it to me if you want me to do it. Just pm me.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Wow.... this sounds like this has happened to other peoples shafts too. I thought I was the first. Almost threw it in the dumpster.

Super glue it ............................... Then super glue. some more...
Re tap it and super glue it again, Over and over until you have made new threads .......
Or use a thin strong epoxy like west system 105/206

Or Devcon 2 ton epoxy might work from your local hardware store.
But you need a epoxy that is going to soak into the pores of the wood .....and set up rock solid regardless if you drill and plug the whole and then drill and tap for the pin hole or try to salvage the threads.

The tap witch is about 45 bucks.

You can send it to almost any cue repair guy can handle that some what easy.

I would run a thread in the ask the cue makers section, see who is close to you.

I can also fix it. but make 100% sure the joint hasn't delaminated before you send it to anyone.

Here is predators link, you could contact them
http://www.predatorcues.com/technique/

I am not a authorized predator cue repairman .

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Threads

It doesn't really happen that often in less the owner doesn't tighten the shaft properly frequently.

And its really just doesn't happen to only laminated LD shafts either, It also happens with solid maple shaft's too.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super glue it ............................... Then super glue. some more...
Re tap it and super glue it again, Over and over until you have made new threads .......
Or use a thin strong epoxy like west system 105/206

Or Devcon 2 ton epoxy might work from your local hardware store.
But you need a epoxy that is going to soak into the pores of the wood .....and set up rock solid regardless if you drill and plug the whole and then drill and tap for the pin hole or try to salvage the threads.

The tap witch is about 45 bucks.

You can send it to almost any cue repair guy can handle that some what easy.

I would run a thread in the ask the cue makers section, see who is close to you.

I can also fix it. but make 100% sure the joint hasn't delaminated before you send it to anyone.

Here is predators link, you could contact them
http://www.predatorcues.com/technique/

I am not a authorized predator cue repairman .
Thanks Mike but that's a little out of my skill range. Sometimes I can't get the ketchup open:grin: