Diamond bar table experts?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m looking to buy a diamond 7’. What are the differences? Is the red label/blue label thing, wood color, etc a big deal? I like the blue labels on the big tables, not sure about the little guys.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Always buy blue. if you buy a red label, make sure they have switched out the rails. Honestly, playing on the red label feels like playing pin ball to me.

I think the blue labels came out in 2010 ( or close to it)

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At a bar near me they have 5 blue labels and 1 red label. I don't play on the red label very often but when I do I play exactly the same and I don't notice a difference at all. Whatever difference there is I must subconsciously adjust to. I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the players in there have no clue that the table is even a different model and also don't notice the difference.

It's hard to come across a used bar box but if you find one for less than $3k I would snatch it up regardless of the label color.

Also, I think diamonds come with two pocket opening options. I swear one place I play at has slightly tighter pockets. Quickly looking at the website I don't see the pocket opening options listed so maybe I am wrong on this. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At a bar near me they have 5 blue labels and 1 red label. I don't play on the red label very often but when I do I play exactly the same and I don't notice a difference at all. Whatever difference there is I must subconsciously adjust to. I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the players there have no clue the the table is even a different model and also don't notice the difference.

It's hard to come across a used bar box but if you find one for less than $3k I would snatch it up regardless of the label color. Good luck!

Thanks! Most of the pool out here is played on these tables so I figured I’d grab one. Hoping to find one around $3500

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At a bar near me they have 5 blue labels and 1 red label. I don't play on the red label very often but when I do I play exactly the same and I don't notice a difference at all. Whatever difference there is I must subconsciously adjust to. I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the players there have no clue the the table is even a different model and also don't notice the difference.

It's hard to come across a used bar box but if you find one for less than $3k I would snatch it up regardless of the label color. Good luck!

Thanks! Most of the pool out here is played on these tables so I figured I’d grab one. Hoping to find one around $3500

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m looking to buy a diamond 7’. What are the differences? Is the red label/blue label thing, wood color, etc a big deal? I like the blue labels on the big tables, not sure about the little guys.

A red label bar box will disappoint you if you like the way your current table plays.

The biggest issue I have with red labels, especially bar boxes, are that they bank and kick even shorter than their blue label counterparts, not to mention, they have way to much "spring" for most players taste.

Bottom line:

If you think your blue label is to slow and banks to long, well, you'll love the red label. If however, you like your blue label, well, like said above, you're gonna regret it.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

$3,500 is about the going rate so you've got the right idea. The only problem is that they aren't listed for sale very often and when they do go on sale they're usually sold very quickly.

I think 7 footers are in higher demand than 9 footers. There was a guy around here with a 9 foot blue label that he needed to sell in a hurry and he had the price down to $2,200 before it finally sold. I wish I had the cash at that time.

As an alternative cheaper option, you can easily upgrade a valley to play very challenging with rails similar to a Diamond. I did this a few years ago and loved the outcome. The pockets ended up being tighter than a Diamond but the Diamonds have a deeper shelf. Here's what I spent:

Used Valley: $430
New Balls: $80
Simonis Cloth: $235
Ridgeback Rails: $225
Rail Covering by Ridgeback: $48
Shipping $35
Bed Cloth Installation: $100
Light: $100

Total: $1253

If I could do it over again I would install the bed cloth myself. It's extremely simple and I've done it a few times since. You can't really screw it up since the glue is almost like velcro where you can stick and unstick it as many time as needed. RKC will be providing a free video soon on how to install bed cloth. Good luck!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

...Also, I think diamonds come with two pocket opening options. I swear one place I play at has slightly tighter pockets. Quickly looking at the website I don't see the pocket opening options listed so maybe I am wrong on this. Can anyone confirm?

Pro cut and league cut available.