Which Cue?

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All
I want a change do I?

1. Purchase an LD Shaft for one of my custom cues, probably my Joss or I really like a P Navarro I have, but hate the shafts, both butts are on the
heavier side, if so which of these: (a) 314-2 or (b) Tiger X?
2. Go for a new production cue, if so should it be? (a) Predator Roadline (b) Predator Ikon 1 or 3 (c) Mezz ACER (d) Lucasi LHF12

Just let me know your thoughts, I cannot play with any of my choices above as nobody around me has any of them. I do not want another custom cue at this stage I want to try a production cue again if I buy a cue. I have always played with a production cue up until recently

I can get a risk free 60 or 90 day guarantee on these, what would you do? I have a max of about $650 to spend, if I go higher than that I may then be talking in a higher voice too :) I know a lot of it's a mind thing but I am having real trouble not with potting so much as position play and want to try something different, maybe go back to my roots!

Last edited:

FELIX

YA GATTA POST
Silver Member
What to do

What kind of custom cues do u have , how much do the
buts weigh ? I like the 314-2 , but the Tiger-x playes
real good . If u have 14.2 to 15.2 oz buts I like the
314-2 , but both will work . best of luck felix

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Out of those choices and not knowing what type of shaft you like its hard to say but I would go with the tiger X.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There are no Magic Cues IMHO. It comes down to what you like, what feels good to you, and maybe budget.

All it take to play with a _______ Cue
(<<<<<-----fill in blank) is the money to purchase it. When I am playing my BEST, if I set down my own personal Cue, and switch to a HOUSE CUE, I think I would loose 10% of my game.

I have a friend who plays One Pocket like a WEAK “A” Player, he plays with a Franklin Built Southwest, I asked him one if I gave him a house cue to play with, and 15 MINUTES to get the feel of the house cue how many balls in a even game would he loose, but not having his Southwest. He said 1.5 Balls.

IMHO over 80% of Pool is between the ears. I like my stock shafts, and am use to them. Why did Willie Mosconi Play as good as he did. Willies SKILL! IMHO

Last edited:

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many will not agree, but i say go with the lucasi. the hybrid shaft is great, feels in between a predator and regular maple. easy to get used to and very accurate. Plus its cheaper in value, so you'll save a few bucks, and the quality is pretty darn good too.

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went from a Players to a Roadline with the 314-2 shaft, which is right at the high end of your price line. All I can tell you is I personally love the cue, but it'll probably be lighter than you're used to. It looks great, hits straight, feels whoah differently, but most of that difference will be the 314-2 rather than the roadline butt. Also, I have a radial pin, so the joint is important on your new cue, as well.

Honestly, for production cues (especially with a 60-90 day return policy), pick the price range you want (like you've already done), and choose your cue by the look of it. Decide if you want it wrapped or bare, linen, leather, etc. Use the particular stats to narrow down the choices and pick what you want people to see you playing with. I like the Roadline for that because it's good-looking but not ornamental. If you decide after the fact that you don't like the cue, no problem, you can return it!

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like the butt then just get the shaft.
Given those 2 choices I would go with a 314-2.
You can choose the shaft’s weight. They go from about 3.6 to 4.4oz. I find anything in the 3.8-4.2 should be good for 90% of people.

Every single cue feels different, even 2 cues from the same line with same weight, no guarantees you will find what you like without trying it out.

To give you an example I like forward balanced cues (20-21 inches) that our about 17.5-18.2 oz in weight, no wrap and LD pro taper shafts.

However, my favorite cue at the moment is ~20.5 oz, balance ~18.5 inches, linen wrap and stock shaft w/semi-euro taper.
Go figure……

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
All
I want a change do I?

1. Purchase an LD Shaft for one of my custom cues, probably my Joss or I really like a P Navarro I have, but hate the shafts, both butts are on the
heavier side, if so which of these: (a) 314-2 or (b) Tiger X?
2. Go for a new production cue, if so should it be? (a) Predator Roadline (b) Predator Ikon 1 or 3 (c) Mezz ACER (d) Lucasi LHF12

Just let me know your thoughts, I cannot play with any of my choices above as nobody around me has any of them. I do not want another custom cue at this stage I want to try a production cue again if I buy a cue. I have always played with a production cue up until recently

I can get a risk free 60 or 90 day guarantee on these, what would you do? I have a max of about $650 to spend, if I go higher than that I may then be talking in a higher voice too :) I know a lot of it's a mind thing but I am having real trouble not with potting so much as position play and want to try something different, maybe go back to my roots!

Personally I like Tiger LD (that's their 12.75 mm shaft) a little more than a 314 in terms of feel and consistency, but they are actually very similar shafts and are almost interchangeable once a player adjusts to one or the other. The Tiger LD will come in around 3.5 to 3.6 ounces.

The shaft is most of a cue's feel and playability. You'll save a lot by just going with the after market shaft.

Chris

Last edited:

TheThaiger

Banned
Ģüśţāṿ;3114206 said:
Many will not agree, but i say go with the lucasi. the hybrid shaft is great, feels in between a predator and regular maple. easy to get used to and very accurate. Plus its cheaper in value, so you'll save a few bucks, and the quality is pretty darn good too.

They deflect like crazy though. What IS the point of a LD shaft that deflects?

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an update, I did get a chance to play last night with a McDermott G Core on one of my cues and it was ok. It didn't take too much to get use to, my question how does this compare with a 314-2 or X Shaft in feel and playability?