Silver Member
I was very upset to see that Sherry Richardson's Canadian pool and
snooker magazine (Chalk & Cue) has printed its last issue. Apparently
advertising from the pool community is in short supply and they can't
afford to continue.

It was obvious from the last issue that they had little or no
advertising revenue. I understand Sherry got a one-time grant from the
Canadian government a few years ago which helped her keep it afloat
for a while but that must have got used up fairly quickly.

It was a labor of love for Sherry. My condolences...

The Hamster

David Malone
Silver Member
Gremlin said:
Hamster,
It's to bad but it is a sign of the times in pool. Less and less revenue and interest to support it. In case you didn't know it Sherry was a good player too. Had the pleasure of being introduced to her.

I know Sherry quite well. She actually played in some of my Great White North tournaments and is a strong pool player (although snooker is her favourite game).

A great ambassador for the sport and a heck of a nice person as well.

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sucks, Chalk and Cue was an excellent magazine. I had the pleasure of working with Sherry at the Canadian Billiards and Snooker Championships, she was one of the nicest ladies I have met in the pool world. Hopefully another Canadian magazine will come out of this, we need it.

Kent

The Hamster

David Malone
Silver Member
pooljunkie73 said:
Hopefully another Canadian magazine will come out of this, we need it.

I imagine Sherry would be quite happy to keep on keeping-on if she could just find the advertising... the other problem was that people were always happy to get a free copy but not enough people were willing to pay for it. There are a few good pool magazines out there but Chalk & Cue was the only one that gave the Canadian pool scene such extensive coverage.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this an actual magazine or one of the billiard newspaper type publications?
I have been thinking about one ot the newspaper typ but really dont know much about it. I just see the need for one in a certain area.

Any new stories Hamster? I like your writing and enjoy the stories.

The Hamster said:
I imagine Sherry would be quite happy to keep on keeping-on if she could just find the advertising... the other problem was that people were always happy to get a free copy but not enough people were willing to pay for it. There are a few good pool magazines out there but Chalk & Cue was the only one that gave the Canadian pool scene such extensive coverage.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
David,
That is pretty bad news. It was such a great publication, very high quality. Sherry is a great supporter of the game, and it is unfortunate that the advertising wasn't there. She not only supported pool in Toronto, but all of Canada.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Frank, it was a true magazine format.

I personally run one of the newspaper type publications here in Az. Let me know if you have questions about it.

Mike

frankncali said:
Was this an actual magazine or one of the billiard newspaper type publications?
I have been thinking about one ot the newspaper typ but really dont know much about it. I just see the need for one in a certain area.

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiffpoolbum said:
Yes, Sherry is a great player. I do not know her well though, isn't she also a lawyer?

Tiffany

Yes she is a lawyer, Tiff.

Hamster, I do agree about the free copies and the advertising. The last I saw though things were looking up and I thought they started to get some bigger name advertising, I guess a little too late though.

Frankncali, this was an actual magazine.

Kent

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
Ah Sheri, say it isn't so! Geez, I have not posted in a few days and come back to find so much bad news here!

Sheri did a wonderful job on her magazine. I was just going to do a lot of ads with her for the Orlando Open. :(

I do wish her well for the future.

Eydie

Captain Flint

pooljunkie73 said:
Yes she is a lawyer, Tiff.

Hamster, I do agree about the free copies and the advertising. The last I saw though things were looking up and I thought they started to get some bigger name advertising, I guess a little too late though.

Frankncali, this was an actual magazine.

Kent

She is a lawyer and a judge

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
I read my first copy of this at JK's corner pocket in saint johb, and subscribed ever since. Sad to see it go under.

The Hamster

David Malone
Silver Member
frankncali said:

I'm going commercial... the book should be out in a few months... you'll be able to buy it at amazon.com. It'll be called "Hamster Tales"...

Not that I expect to sell a lot of copies but it's a fun venture suggested by some regulars on RSB.

The Hamster

David Malone
Silver Member
Tiffpoolbum said:
What has happend to Catherin Garon? In my opinion, one of the most talented female players in the world.

It's unfortunate but Catherine decided to take a break from playing pool. Thierry told me she just got fed up with it but, who knows, she may get the bug again one of these days.

I played her in Toronto at Shooters and we split a dozen games of 9-ball but she was being very generous... I love the way she rolls the ball around the table for shape.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hamster said:
I'm going commercial... the book should be out in a few months... you'll be able to buy it at amazon.com. It'll be called "Hamster Tales"...

Not that I expect to sell a lot of copies but it's a fun venture suggested by some regulars on RSB.

Let us know when it will comes out. I am sure I will enjoy reading the stories.
You might just sell more than you think.

good luck with it
frankncali

The Hamster

David Malone
Silver Member
frankncali said:
Let us know when it will comes out. I am sure I will enjoy reading the stories.
You might just sell more than you think.

good luck with it
frankncali

Will do... thanks, Frankncali. I'll try and remember all the little people when I become famous... (VBG).