my stroke

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
I don't know what kind of a response you are going to get. I will throw a coulple of things out there.

The elbow moves quite a bit. Probably best to start with a fixed elbow, even though many good pros have significant elbow movement.

These are fine warm up strokes, but without shooting at balls, it is hard to assess your real stroke.

Also, looking at the camera may be changing your stroke.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
your cue action is very twisty, what i mean by this is it is not straight ur are using ur wrist to much on the shot, so your twisting the cue into the cueball, and not hitting the same place on the cueball consistantly this will result in you missing a lot of shots by hitting unintentional side and across the ball at times...

mannydawg

Registered
your cue action is very twisty, what i mean by this is it is not straight ur are using ur wrist to much on the shot, so your twisting the cue into the cueball, and not hitting the same place on the cueball consistantly this will result in you missing a lot of shots by hitting unintentional side and across the ball at times...

oh ok but i think i am stroking straight because i consistently keep the cue inside the bottle, but how would i correct the wrist movement and still feel comfortable with my stroke? i usally hit where i want when i miss its not because of unintential english but because of not seeing the angle right.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
oh ok but i think i am stroking straight because i consistently keep the cue inside the bottle, but how would i correct the wrist movement and still feel comfortable with my stroke? i usally hit where i want when i miss its not because of unintential english but because of not seeing the angle right.

best way to see the shot

you need to stand back from every shot away from the table then walk into the shot, 90% of your sighting is done from back from the table (like an eagle swooping down on its prey it stalks it 1st) the last 10% of your sighting is done when ur down on the shot.

just practice cueing straight, its hard to explain to you in writing i would advice to go and see a coach for a lesson or 2 and go from there

mannydawg

Registered
best way to see the shot

you need to stand back from every shot away from the table then walk into the shot, 90% of your sighting is done from back from the table (like an eagle swooping down on its prey it stalks it 1st) the last 10% of your sighting is done when ur down on the shot.

just practice cueing straight, its hard to explain to you in writing i would advice to go and see a coach for a lesson or 2 and go from there

oh ok thank you? and i was also wondering what would be a good way to improve my break i tend to hit dead straight and pretty hard most of the time. just the cue ball usually has a lot of down spin and when i aim a little higher the balls hits bounces back and a lot the time off the table.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

I couldn't see your elbow, but I would assume that you are moving your elbow a bit too much on the back stroke. Bustamante makes his stroke work but it should not be emulated, it's the same as trying to swing like Jim Furyk or Arnold Palmer in golf. You want to focus on straight back, straight forward otherwise you have to bring your cue back on line before you hit the ball. The backstroke is a very neglected part of the process for a lot of players.

You should get your stance adjusted because you are very unstable. Your body is moving all over the place while you are stroking which causes innacuracy.

I would also suggest getting a bottle with a smaller opening to make it more difficult, red stripe beer bottles are great for this. But just because you are putting the cue in the bottle doesn't mean it's sraight, you could be going in crooked or touching the sides on the way in. Finally, make full follow through strokes into the bottle, not just practice strokes.

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip # 1- Get a new shirt or hit your chest and tri's a little more.
Tip # 2- Could have used a little better music or no music at all, better yet, talk to us while your stroking and tell us what your thinking about your own stroke.
Yes, your stroke is way out there. I could see you having major problems on tough equipment. Your elbow needs to be fixed. Anytime you are going side to side somewhat, it can't be good. On the upside, your stroke is pretty fluid.

mannydawg

Registered
Tip # 1- Get a new shirt or hit your chest and tri's a little more.
Tip # 2- Could have used a little better music or no music at all, better yet, talk to us while your stroking and tell us what your thinking about your own stroke.
Yes, your stroke is way out there. I could see you having major problems on tough equipment. Your elbow needs to be fixed. Anytime you are going side to side somewhat, it can't be good. On the upside, your stroke is pretty fluid.

btw it was hot that day and well why would i waste my time working out when i can be playing pool. and well thanks for the insight.

mannydawg

Registered
I couldn't see your elbow, but I would assume that you are moving your elbow a bit too much on the back stroke. Bustamante makes his stroke work but it should not be emulated, it's the same as trying to swing like Jim Furyk or Arnold Palmer in golf. You want to focus on straight back, straight forward otherwise you have to bring your cue back on line before you hit the ball. The backstroke is a very neglected part of the process for a lot of players.

You should get your stance adjusted because you are very unstable. Your body is moving all over the place while you are stroking which causes innacuracy.

I would also suggest getting a bottle with a smaller opening to make it more difficult, red stripe beer bottles are great for this. But just because you are putting the cue in the bottle doesn't mean it's sraight, you could be going in crooked or touching the sides on the way in. Finally, make full follow through strokes into the bottle, not just practice strokes.

well first im not imitaing anyone that just how my stroke is and i play best when i use it. and well i'll try a smaller bottle and following throught more, thanks for the insight.

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we need to see your grip hand and the rest of your arm, try angles with the camera behind you or to the side where we can see your shoulder and upper arm and whatnot. Also we need to see strokes where you hit the ball, or act like it and follow through (into the bottle).

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I can't help it! If you have sex the same way you stroke at that bottle you will never have to worry about having kids. I didn't see the tip going into the hole. Try stroking and putting atleast 2" in. Your stroke might be smooth, but, it has way too much side to side. You must get a ton of unwanted spin on the CB.

Try taking an overhead of the stroke and you will see that your stroke travels 3 inch or more off the aim line and even starts off line. I am guessing you have tons of cue power and would have a very hard time slow rolling a long pot corner to corner missing to the left.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I don't know if it's an optical illusion from the video, but it looks like your stroke wanders to the left, that is, it's going into the bottle at an angle from your right to your left (very slight).

One good way to tell is to do the up and down test - shoot the cue ball from the foot spot (where you rack the balls) down to the far short cushion and see if it comes back and hits your tip (or rolls back over the spot again). If what I'm seeing is true, the cue ball will return to the left of the spot more often than not because you're putting some unwanted left english on the ball.

Another way to tell is to use your water bottle, but don't warm up to the mouth of the bottle but stop a couple of inches short. Then shoot for the mouth of the bottle. If what I'm seeing is really there, you will go to the left of the mouth.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is my stoke i think it is somewhat similar to Fransisco Bustamante's stroke what do you think? i know its not on a pool table, I've only been playing for about 2 years and i was wondering if you notice any flaw please let me know, i am looking to get better i don't mind criticism

new video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhoeezOgSsk

your tip's moving left to right as you get closer to the bottle. that's something you're going to have to work on. otherwise when you need to really follow through it'll bit you in the ass.

you're supposed to cue through the bottle opening not just to the beginning of the bottle

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
your tip's moving left to right as you get closer to the bottle. that's something you're going to have to work on. otherwise when you need to really follow through it'll bit you in the ass.

you're supposed to cue through the bottle opening not just to the beginning of the bottle

Just to clarify for the OP, his stroke moves from left to right as we view the video but from right to left from his perspective as the shooter.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clarify for the OP, his stroke moves from left to right as we view the video but from right to left from his perspective as the shooter.

Whoops. i didn't even think of that.

i forgot to add that i really gotta question mannydawg's taste in music

mannydawg

Registered
thanks to everyone

ill look at what your talking about my cue moveing from left to right, and well i usually have little problems slow rolling a ball. and yes i have tremendous cue power i often have to take some off on my draw shots to avoid over drawing even on shots that have 5 or 6 feet in between. i also have to take alot of my break because i still cant control my power.

i will try following through into a bottle with a smaller opening and try and get diffrent angles and when i do i will post so you guys can look. again thankyou for your replys.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
OK, several issues to deal with.

First, as has been noted, your tip moves to your left as you stroke. We can only see the cue, so I have no idea what YOU are doing to cause it. Remember, the cue can only do what you make it do. It's just a piece of wood.

The bottle will really only help if you are trying to use a piston stroke. For a pendilum stroke, the bottle is of very little use.

The next time you video yourself, put the camera out to your right side, and make sure we can see your arm. It might be a good idea to see it directly from behind you as well, to check your alignment and wrist action.

You definitely have a problem, but there is no way to pinpoint the cause based on this video. I do recommend that you find a good qualified instructor to work with you. If you really want to improve, that would be your best option.

Steve

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
well first im not imitaing anyone that just how my stroke is and i play best when i use it. and well i'll try a smaller bottle and following throught more, thanks for the insight.

I only mention Bustamante because you say in your Youtube description, that your stroke looks like Bustamante's. And it does, but that's not neccessarily good.

It's not that style of stroke that is producing power, it has to do with timing and the amount of mass you are able to put behind it. Moving your cue from side to side is wasted motion.

You may play best with this stroke at the moment, but if you keep the cue on line you will play better with more control. You would just need to devote the time to adjusting to a different style.