Pattern Play - Ralf shows how it's done!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To play great pool first you have to do three things:

1. Learn the shots
2. Master the shots
3. Assemble the shots.

Most advanced amateur players do a great job of the first two, and a terrible job of the third. They play poor patterns, rely on 'recovery shots', and make the game far too difficult. Their plan to improve is to put in a ton of time and effort getting better at execution. The problem is that some shots are just really tough and no matter how much you practice you aren't going to make them all.

These players fail to realize the issue isn't a deficit in fundamentals or shot-making, it's that they have massive leaks in their pattern play. Look, you have 95% shots, 90% shots, 80% shots, 70% shots, 60% shots, 50% shots, and < 50% shots. If your table runs rely on 2-3 shots in the 60-80% range there is simply no way you will ever become a consistent table runner.

Below is an example I wanted to share. Check it out from 6:30-24:30. Ralf runs four difficult racks of 9 ball. And he does it without doing anything difficult! Ralf is a hero of mine because he reached the highest levels of pool for over twenty years, and he did it with a stubborn refusal to do anything hard. And it looks so natural and automatic that no one notices how high level it is because it isn't what he's doing that's amazing, it's what he's NOT doing. He's NOT shooting hard shots, forcing the cue ball around the table, or doing anything to draw applause. Seriously, which of these shots is the one that makes him a hall of fame champion?

Invariably this is what advanced players need help with when I work with them. Understanding how to put the parts of their game together, then ways to practice that until it becomes habitual. If this is you then check out my website and message me and we can get to work. I want all of you to be able to win matches without ever hearing 'nice shot' because it looked so easy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ia9rFH_21c

Karl Boyes (England) vs Ralf Souquet (Germany) Match 9 - QF World Pool Masters 2018 (XXV)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well observed. Other than Buddy Hall, Ralf is, in my opinion, the best pattern player of the entire nine ball era.

Souquet's position lines are almost perfect, and studying his cue ball paths carefully will enable you to understand how truly refined angles give you just a little more room for error in your speed control. That's the payoff when the angles are played perfectly, and while it's, at times, a small payoff, it shows up in the form of more runouts.

Further, Souquet not only selects all the right cue ball paths, he creates them. These are two different skills. Angle conceptualization/selection is where the process starts, but it takes a lot of skill and a lot of practice to consistently produce the angle selected.

Perfect pattern play = perfect angle conceptualization + perfect angle creation

Buddy Hall and Ralf Souquet are among the few in our game's history that might be viewed as nearly perfect pattern players.

Keep studying Souquet's patterns, my friend. You've struck gold! Preaching the gospel of Souquet will be of great value to your students.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, my pattern play is like everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face.

ghost ball <- longest adjective creator

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stu would your drill you shared before be good for Angle conceptualization/selection? i cant figure how to add the pic but here is the text.

, the shot on the one is about a fifteen degree cut. The drill is simple to explain, but difficult to do. Make the one and run the cue ball into the two. Whether successful or not, take the two off the table and then set the same shot up on the one. Now make the one and run the cue ball into the three. Take the three off the table and then set the same shot up on the one. Now make the one and run the cue ball into the four, etc. OK to hit the long rail up to the six. For the seven through the twelve, however, you may not go to the long rail first, as you are looking for a direct hit. Give yourself a point for each shot you execute. Maximum score is eleven. Drill is meant mostly for strong players. A B player should expect to average about four. I would expect an A player to average about six, and only a top pro would be able to average near eight
Well observed. Other than Buddy Hall, Ralf is, in my opinion, the best pattern player of the entire nine ball era.

Souquet's position lines are almost perfect, and studying his cue ball paths carefully will enable you to understand how truly refined angles give you just a little more room for error in your speed control. That's the payoff when the angles are played perfectly, and while it's, at times, a small payoff, it shows up in the form of more runouts.

Further, Souquet not only selects all the right cue ball paths, he creates them. These are two different skills. Angle conceptualization/selection is where the process starts, but it takes a lot of skill and a lot of practice to consistently produce the angle selected.

Perfect pattern play = perfect angle conceptualization + perfect angle creation

Buddy Hall and Ralf Souquet are among the few in our game's history that might be viewed as nearly perfect pattern players.

Keep studying Souquet's patterns, my friend. You've struck gold! Preaching the gospel of Souquet will be of great value to your students.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu would your drill you shared before be good for Angle conceptualization/selection? i cant figure how to add the pic but here is the text.

, the shot on the one is about a fifteen degree cut. The drill is simple to explain, but difficult to do. Make the one and run the cue ball into the two. Whether successful or not, take the two off the table and then set the same shot up on the one. Now make the one and run the cue ball into the three. Take the three off the table and then set the same shot up on the one. Now make the one and run the cue ball into the four, etc. OK to hit the long rail up to the six. For the seven through the twelve, however, you may not go to the long rail first, as you are looking for a direct hit. Give yourself a point for each shot you execute. Maximum score is eleven. Drill is meant mostly for strong players. A B player should expect to average about four. I would expect an A player to average about six, and only a top pro would be able to average near eight

The drill to which you refer can be found in post #7 of the following thread:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=16353&highlight=Peoria

and is not an angle conceptualization drill but instead an angle creation drill. It gives you the angle and asks you to create it.

It offers no guidance in choosing the best angle, but if you learn this drill, it means your angle creation skills are in very good working order.

Even if you learn this drill, you need to learn how to select the best angles, and even at pro level, countless errors are made in angle selection.

The best way to learn angle conceptualization/selection is to get all the 9-ball footage you can of Buddy Hall, Ralf Souquet, and watching video of Jim Rempe would also teach you a lot.

That said, it's not whether you watch the footage but how you watch it. The best way is to try to predict precisely which angle they will play from this shot to the next one and see how often you are right. Over time, your predictions will become better and they'll surprise you less and less.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I think pattern play, I was thinking you were going to be talking about 8 Ball. I see 9 ball more as position playing, not pattern playing.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
pattern play

When I think pattern play, I was thinking you were going to be talking about 8 Ball. I see 9 ball more as position playing, not pattern playing.

Hi buckshotshoey. There is no right answer to this. Some people consider patterns nothing more than the order in which to run the balls. If this is the definition then technically there is essentially zero pattern play in rotation games other than the occasional combination or carom possibility.

The majority of players, however, consider pattern play to be the routes you choose to take from ball to ball. In other words, do you play two rails for the corner or three rails for the side? Stuff like that. While 9 ball requires the balls to be run in order, there is a tremendous amount of decision making involved. Which pockets to play position for, which angles to try to fall on, where you'd prefer to miss your shape if your speed is off, and much more. So I tend to look at patterns as the planning, and position play is the execution of the plan.

In fact, now that I'm rolling I'll say that I consider running out to involve three things: Position play, pattern play, and shot making. Pattern play takes pressure off your position play because you're choosing natural routes into larger zones which makes it easier to execute. Good position play takes pressure off your shot making because you get good on the balls. And shot making takes pressure off your pattern play because you can choose routes that involve making slightly tougher shots with confidence, allowing simpler and easier transitions.

I've been watching the European players in great, great detail lately. Not just the top pros, but the top players from the Euro 9 ball tour. I have seen them lean on their shot making more than most US players do in an effort to keep patterns simple and to minimize cue ball movement or complex positional shots. They stay off the rail, make sure they're on the right side of the ball, and bomb everything in with natural cue ball hits. I seldom see them landing flat on balls, end up elevated off the rail, or losing their cue ball due to spinning it around the table. This style requires a good stroke and a good eye, but the consistency is impressive. Whereas players that are trying to force the cue ball around to get perfect look good when their speed is dialed in, but quickly fall apart when they're not on top of their games.

Maybe in the future I'll do a voice over video where I provide some commentary to runs like this so I can share the details I notice. But Stu is correct. You can't watch passively. When I watch videos I always do the following:

1. Wait until someone establishes control of the table and has an easy shot, then pause the video. I don't do this during safety play because the balls get moved around. I wait until someone is about to start a run.

2. I ask myself what the key transitions are during the rack. If the run ends, which ball or balls are likely to end it?

3. I ask myself how I'd play position on the prior ball to guarantee a great angle on the transition ball that will maximize my chances of getting the job done.

4. I watch the rack and compare my answer with what the player chooses as well as what the commentator is suggesting.

5. If I see something that surprises me I set it up and try it on my own table. If there was a shot or route I wasn't comfortable with I now have something to practice to round out my skills.

Watching for entertainment is fine, but for those of us trying to improve you've got to roll up your sleeves a little.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When I watch videos I always do the following:

1. Wait until someone establishes control of the table and has an easy shot, then pause the video. I don't do this during safety play because the balls get moved around. I wait until someone is about to start a run.

2. I ask myself what the key transitions are during the rack. If the run ends, which ball or balls are likely to end it?

3. I ask myself how I'd play position on the prior ball to guarantee a great angle on the transition ball that will maximize my chances of getting the job done.

4. I watch the rack and compare my answer with what the player chooses as well as what the commentator is suggesting.

5. If I see something that surprises me I set it up and try it on my own table. If there was a shot or route I wasn't comfortable with I now have something to practice to round out my skills.

Watching for entertainment is fine, but for those of us trying to improve you've got to roll up your sleeves a little.

Wow, what a great approach. Your commitment to continuing to study and learn the leading edge theory has a lot to do with why you've become such a skilled instructor and why you'll continue to grow as both a player and instructor.

Stay the course, my friend!

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Ralph looks at the object ball going directly in the pocket before he addresses the cue ball. What exactly is he looking at? Is he looking at the spot on the object ball ? A line from the ball to the pocket. I really enjoy how deliberate he is every shot.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
preshot routine

When Ralph looks at the object ball going directly in the pocket before he addresses the cue ball. What exactly is he looking at? Is he looking at the spot on the object ball ? A line from the ball to the pocket. I really enjoy how deliberate he is every shot.

He doesn't do it on every shot, but on some shots he'll stand behind the line of the object ball to the pocket. Then he'll come around and look at the angle and shot line from behind the cue ball before getting into stance (this he does on every shot).

A former touring pro talked about this, how some players just do the neck crane to glance at the object ball contact point, like they'll run around the table and kind of lean/glance over on one foot to kind of look at it. He used to laugh. He was more deliberate too and would always fully walk behind the object ball to get a good committed sight of it.

As for pace, Ralf is deliberate but not slow. He's on the clock here and never had any issues. So he was always shooting within 30 seconds and on routine shots he would shoot in 15. But he would always pick an angle for the next shot, visualize it, and go through a calm pre-shot. Often times when people complain about slow players the pace isn't that slow, they just don't like how careful the player is being. Probably because that player isn't giving them any chances and is crushing them. No potatoes for them...

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralf speed control is so good that he can make patterns easy. It is easy when you are almost always just right angle on next shot. But he is also taking care to spot where he need to be on next shot and does not take that given but double checks it every time.
Easy way to minimize to unforced careless errors.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He doesn't do it on every shot, but on some shots he'll stand behind the line of the object ball to the pocket. ...
I think all of the top snooker players will stand along the object ball path and sight it into the pocket before moving over to the cue ball line.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
exactly!

But he is also taking care to spot where he need to be on next shot and does not take that given but double checks it every time. .

YES YES YES!

How many thousands of times have I seen someone just shoot a ball and play shape, then the cue ball lands exactly where they were looking, then they walk around to look at their shot and they are dismayed! Why? Because they are super flat on the ball and will now need to hit a power draw shot instead of playing off the rail with a stun and some spin. You see them look surprised and sometimes they'll even say "Oh, that ball is further from the side rail than I thought, ug."

It's one thing to make a mistake and miss your position. But when you get your position and it's a trouble spot then that is inexcusable. I've always felt that there were enough things outside of your control playing pool that you had to do everything possible to avoid blundering things you can get right every time. Ralf's habit of checking to make sure he knows where he wants to be (and identifying potential problems, figuring out the boundaries of his comfortable position zone, etc) is a big part of his success.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Zero-x Pattern Play

This book is very helpful in studying patterns...
" The Original Big Book Of Pattern Puzzles "
Tor Lowry

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
YES YES YES!

How many thousands of times have I seen someone just shoot a ball and play shape, then the cue ball lands exactly where they were looking, then they walk around to look at their shot and they are dismayed! Why? Because they are super flat on the ball and will now need to hit a power draw shot instead of playing off the rail with a stun and some spin. You see them look surprised and sometimes they'll even say "Oh, that ball is further from the side rail than I thought, ug."

It's one thing to make a mistake and miss your position. But when you get your position and it's a trouble spot then that is inexcusable.

I'm in this post and I don't like it.

But seriously Tin Man, you consistently produce the most valuable instructive threads on this site. Thank you, and I look forward to reading more.