Reload this Page world Open on Phillipines TV
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
world Open on Phillipines TV
Old
  (#1)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

world Open on Phillipines TV - 10-02-2006, 10:08 AM

The World Open is scheduled to be premiered on Phillipines RPN Channel 9 TV on 3,4,6 and 7 October but not a cheep from IPT about it via their usual blanket e-mail shot to the world and his mother,though there is an article on their own site under the Press Release section (dated 29 Sept).

How does our resident site Phillipino community think the fact that Efren and the others haven't ben paid their prize money will be perceived by the viewers in the Phillipines,if indeed they know about it?

Old
  (#2)
crosseyedjoe
Anywhere but here
crosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-02-2006, 04:20 PM

If that's the case then most of them will just move on. I don't think they will sue.

The art of crowd control, the presidential style.
Never underestimate the power of fallacy to change the world. -- Umberto Eco

If I'm a serial killer:
Murder Implement: Loaf of bread and Peanut-butter
Torture Implement: Water or milk in front of you while you're choking on peanut-butter sandwich

Old
  (#3)
bandido
Player Power!
bandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memikey
How does our resident site Phillipino community think the fact that Efren and the others haven't ben paid their prize money will be perceived by the viewers in the Phillipines,if indeed they know about it?
Huh? It's already party time here and the President even awarded Efren the Order of Lakandula. Check came in friday.

BMPAP Player Power!!!!

Old
  (#4)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandido
Huh? It's already party time here and the President even awarded Efren the Order of Lakandula. Check came in friday.
So Efren's $500,000 check arrived and he's cashed it, and it cleared or is this a joke?

Old
  (#5)
crosseyedjoe
Anywhere but here
crosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond reputecrosseyedjoe has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2006, 04:43 PM

That's one of the good thing about foreign players, if the check bounced KT could easily be blacklisted by banks.

If I'm a serial killer:
Torture Implement: Water or milk in front of you while you're choking on peanut-butter sandwich

Old
  (#6)
bandido
Player Power!
bandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond reputebandido has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive
So Efren's $500,000 check arrived and he's cashed it, and it cleared or is this a joke?
Arrived? According to someone within the Efren Org, yes. Cleared? It does take a few banking days and it's a bad idea for them to bounce a "major draw" 's prize money.

BMPAP Player Power!!!!

Old
  (#7)
Renegade
Consume Mass Quantities!
Renegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 490

10-04-2006, 02:57 AM

That's good to hear. If I were KT, I really wouldn't want to be on Efren's bad side. KT should have pushed Efren's star right from the start, and not Mike Sigel's. Marketing Efren's trickshots video alone would make him rich...but then again, what do I know??

Consume Mass Quantities!

Old
  (#8)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

10-04-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
That's good to hear. If I were KT, I really wouldn't want to be on Efren's bad side. KT should have pushed Efren's star right from the start, and not Mike Sigel's. Marketing Efren's trickshots video alone would make him rich...but then again, what do I know??
Efren is not exactly the best English public speaker out there. His english is pretty bad but understandable. I think they did OK with Sigel, but could have done better with Archer or Morris or another American that speaks English pretty well.

There is no doubt though that Efren is the better player out of him and Sigel. Just I dont think he would have made a good public figure for the non-pool audience to watch off the table.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#9)
bandido
Player Power!

10-04-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin
Efren is not exactly the best English public speaker out there. His english is pretty bad but understandable. I think they did OK with Sigel, but could have done better with Archer or Morris or another American that speaks English pretty well.

There is no doubt though that Efren is the better player out of him and Sigel. Just I dont think he would have made a good public figure for the non-pool audience to watch off the table.
Why any other player than Efren when he's the only one who can bring SRO attendance wherever he performs? The language deficiency should have been where the Marketing department did its magic. Overcoming this deficiency is one reason why most other sports are way ahead of pool in popularity.

Why can't pool be pool? Why do the insiders have to drastically sanitize it for the non-pool audience? Market the heck its positive side and that will tone down the darn effects of the negative. Pool in the Philippines is the best example of this and its strategy was based on Ying-Yang and the Art of War. Accept the truth and work with it.

BMPAP Player Power!!!!

Last edited by bandido; 10-04-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Old
  (#10)
professorpool
AzB Silver Member
professorpool is on a distinguished road

10-04-2006, 11:20 AM

Hear hear.

Pool is pool - don't pretend otherwise..

I used to be bold but now I'm just bald..

www.uk8ball.com

Old
  (#11)
crosseyedjoe
Anywhere but here

10-04-2006, 05:02 PM

Well, I guess Archer and Rodney can win by talking better, LOL.

If I'm a serial killer:

Old
  (#12)
Renegade
Consume Mass Quantities!
Renegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 490

10-05-2006, 01:03 AM

efren doesnt need to speak good english...he let's his cue do the talking!

and besides, pool isn't just for americans, people! at least, not anymore....efren's got fans all over the world who don't speak an ounce of english.

it probably would've mattered before when only american networks showed pool or produced pool tournaments, but this is not the case anymore. if there's anyone who should be perfect as the ambassador of pool, then it's efren. he's won in tournaments all over the world and was well received each time.

Consume Mass Quantities!

Old
  (#13)
crosseyedjoe
Anywhere but here

10-05-2006, 03:38 PM

I was watching one of the invitational games the Efren and Bustamante attended in Japan. They actually have mics on both player booths. One booth was speaking in Filipino while other Mandarin on Japanese TV. It strikes as odd that many Americans still see language as a BIG barrier when the rest of the world don't even care about it.

If I'm a serial killer:

Old
  (#14)
bandido
Player Power!

10-05-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseyedjoe
I was watching one of the invitational games the Efren and Bustamante attended in Japan. They actually have mics on both player booths. One booth was speaking in Filipino while other Mandarin on Japanese TV. It strikes as odd that many Americans still see language as a BIG barrier when the rest of the world don't even care about it.
I did mention in one earlier post in another thread that Asia, most specially the Philippines, does have a better system in organizing and covering pool events. Puyat Sports is the pioneer and is still way ahead of the pack in pool event organizing, marketing and operations.

Asia is a service-oriented society so details that'll impact the end-users are placed under the magnifying glass before they cause problems down down the road.

BMPAP Player Power!!!!

Old
  (#15)
King B
AzB Silver Member
King B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond reputeKing B has a reputation beyond repute

10-05-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandido
Why any other player than Efren when he's the only one who can bring SRO attendance wherever he performs? The language deficiency should have been where the Marketing department did its magic. Overcoming this deficiency is one reason why most other sports are way ahead of pool in popularity.

Why can't pool be pool? Why do the insiders have to drastically sanitize it for the non-pool audience? Market the heck its positive side and that will tone down the darn effects of the negative. Pool in the Philippines is the best example of this and its strategy was based on Ying-Yang and the Art of War. Accept the truth and work with it.
Your saying that Efren cashed his check thats funny because it takes 30 to 45 days to clear a check in the philippines, nice try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: