Southwest Cue

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T
I own a satin SW cue. I rate it very well in terms of playability; it is very well balanced and easy to cue the ball with. It has the stiffness I like so my arm has to do less work.

As for the hit, I rate it only slightly above average. It lacks the tone of cues I prefer like my Bill Hagan, David Tice, Ernie Martinez, and Tim Scruggs cues. It is more muted in the grip hand area.

But but.....they don't rush cue making as they turn them and
the shafts very gradually in very small increments and then let them rest.
They're very selective in the wood used.
Oh and if you seen their process you would understand the backlog.
The cost is due to the process, and wood quality.
They are not a high production shop."

Just playin'

Yes, in my opinion one of my Southwest cues also hit substantially better than the other, or shall I say more to my liking, than the other did.

Like I said before I've played quite a few of them since I also have friends who have them and they are not nearly as consistent - in MY opinion - as one may read into it (conclude) when reading what the poster who mentioned all of the above said.

I find a lot of the 'other' top makers not only just as good but a lot are quite a bit better and infinitely more consistent than SW.
Again, just my opinion.

Good luck to the OP. Hope it's everything he wants.
Should be hitting like Ko in no time.
Now he just needs to know what tip, chalk, weight cue Ko's cue is...oh and what he has for breakfast.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But but.....they don't rush cue making as they turn them and
the shafts very gradually in very small increments and then let them rest.
They're very selective in the wood used.
Oh and if you seen their process you would understand the backlog.
The cost is due to the process, and wood quality.
They are not a high production shop."

Just playin'

Yes, in my opinion one of my Southwest cues also hit substantially better than the other, or shall I say more to my liking, than the other did.

Like I said before I've played quite a few of them since I also have friends who have them and they are not nearly as consistent - in MY opinion - as one may read into it (conclude) when reading what the poster who mentioned all of the above said.

I find a lot of the 'other' top makers not only just as good but a lot are quite a bit better and infinitely more consistent than SW.
Again, just my opinion.

Good luck to the OP. Hope it's everything he wants.
Should be hitting like Ko in no time.
Now he just needs to know what tip, chalk, weight cue Ko's cue is...oh and what he has for breakfast.

Along the same.lines.....if you want to play like Shane buy a cue Tec....if you want to play like sky buy a meucci...of you want to play like earl.....buy the longest javelin you can find....oh yea...dont forget the ear muffs and arm weights. :grin:

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fair opinion.
SW does have a stiffer feel in the grip compared to those you mentioned as SW has a fatter middle.
Hagan is really a 1 piece butt that is cross-laminated.
For that, it has a lot of feel in the grip.
TS is famous for his hit.

Good input Joey, I value your opinion on these matters. And to be fair, I find maple fronts with flat faced joints to be a bit soft for my taste, so that factors in here. The best hitting cues for me have been non maple fronts with flat faced joints.

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
Should you expect a response from Laurie confirming that you are on the list?

I sent an email but got nothing in return. Just curious what that process is like upon submitting your name.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good input Joey, I value your opinion on these matters. And to be fair, I find maple fronts with flat faced joints to be a bit soft for my taste, so that factors in here. The best hitting cues for me have been non maple fronts with flat faced joints.

well stated 100% agree. a fact!