Southwest Cue

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I am sure it is a very nice que. Congratulations. Just remember, it is not the car, it is the driver. Enjoy your new que.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Received good news today from Laurie,the cue I ordered 12 1/2 years ago is completed.She is spraying up the joint protectors,cue will be shipped on Monday.After the long wait this cue better be a monster player.I had to share this news with my AZ family

Wait time was about 4 months back in 1987 when Jerry was alive. I ordered two then. 4 points, nice cues for about $400. Does anyone know about Kersenbrock (spelling) cues? I think Jerry got his experience working for him.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Received good news today from Laurie,the cue I ordered 12 1/2 years ago is completed.She is spraying up the joint protectors,cue will be shipped on Monday.After the long wait this cue better be a monster player.I had to share this news with my AZ family

12 years ago, I bought my 2nd SW. It was birdseye and ebony with two veneers and all the rings, I won it on ebay for less than $1800.

Those were the days.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Twelve years.

Michelangelo balked, because he considered himself a sculptor, not a painter, and he was hard at work sculpting the king's tomb. But Pope Julius insisted, and Michelangelo began work on his famous frescoed ceiling in 1508. He worked for four years.

Lesh

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait time was about 4 months back in 1987 when Jerry was alive. I ordered two then. 4 points, nice cues for about $400. Does anyone know about Kersenbrock (spelling) cues? I think Jerry got his experience working for him.

I ordered my first one in the late '80s. Four months wait. The second, several years later was 3 1/2 years. The first was $360, the second $500. At the time I ordered my first one Laurie told me that David was doing primarily design work in the shop at that time. He did teach Jerry a lot but Jerry was the one who made them what they are today.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ordered my first one in the late '80s. Four months wait. The second, several years later was 3 1/2 years. The first was $360, the second $500. At the time I ordered my first one Laurie told me that David was doing primarily design work in the shop at that time. He did teach Jerry a lot but Jerry was the one who made them what they are today.

I bought a couple Franklin's from Ace Pawn Shop while living there. $35-50. ha The two things I could get bargains on in those days; McGregor Tommy Armour woods and cue sticks. Found Balabuskas, Gena cues, Tads, etc.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Would it not make sense to hire some help and get the back log of cues much, much shorter? It seems to me that they squandering profits by having such a long back log.

It's still about 12 years.

And this isn't that uncommon....just in the pool world maybe. I once waited 10 years for a custom pocket knife. Like Southwest though, you just put your name on the list. There is no money required to get on the list so not like you're out anything during that time. When your name comes up they contact you to finalize the order and discuss pricing (you pay their current price). Then they build it, you pay, and you get your cue or knife or whatever.

I'm on the Southwest list. Why not, took nothing more than a quick email to Laurie. In 10.5 years my name will come up and I can order my cue if I still want one (can't imagine not wanting it).

So, the waiting list is 10 years, and then it takes around 2 years to build the cue for you. I wonder if many dealers order them directly from SW with the intention of putting them up for sale 12or 13 years later.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it not make sense to hire some help and get the back log of cues much, much shorter? It seems to me that they squandering profits by having such a long back log.

What and flood the market? What they are doing is genius, they have a high end product

and choose to produce it in 'limited quantity'. I am sure all the bills are paid, and Laurie is

making a profit. And in accordance to her business model, she will continue to do so for

at least the next 15 years. How many companies can say that? If I could turn a profit and

keep people on the hook for 10 years I would.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious, when people get to the front of the line, do they sometimes sell their spot, and for how much ?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What and flood the market? What they are doing is genius, they have a high end product

and choose to produce it in 'limited quantity'. I am sure all the bills are paid, and Laurie is

making a profit. And in accordance to her business model, she will continue to do so for

at least the next 15 years. How many companies can say that? If I could turn a profit and

keep people on the hook for 10 years I would.

I dont know what it would take to flood the market but I cant help but think their method costs them customers. Harley Davidson kinda had the same business model but not to that extent, They only wanted to build a handful of bikes less than what they could sell every year.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For sh*ts and giggles I just e-mailed and got on the list. Took all of about10 minutes and four e-mails back and forth. According to the message on the order form the wait is now 13 years and Laurie asked for no money down. There really is no negative to this:

1. I have no out-of-pocket expense.
2. In 13 years I can say I'm not interested if I'm not interested.
3. When you divide the retail cost of the cue by 13 years, then break that down monthly, your cell phone bill is probably twice that amount.
4. Who knows where I will be financially in 2030. Maybe at that point I can swipe a debit card for it like I'm buying milk.

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Southwest Cues

Compared to the current market place prices,to the cost and 13 year wait for a new Southwest,I would suggest to everyone,get on Laurie's list you have nothing to lose.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Curious, when people get to the front of the line, do they sometimes sell their spot, and for how much ?

Regardless if you sell your spot, Laurie will only work with the initial spot owner.

It happens; it happened.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am truly glad for you, but to be honest? No - no way I'm ordering something that takes over 10 years to deliver.

Why? It doesn,t cost anything up front(unlike alot of cuemakers) what do you have to lose,nothing.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? It doesn,t cost anything up front(unlike alot of cuemakers) what do you have to lose,nothing.

I agree, there is zero downside.

but if I wanted a SW, I'm too impatient to wait 12 years, I would just buy one that is for sale.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Glad to hear it Charles. If it doesn't pass muster you can move it along easily!