Are left-handers better pool players?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know quite a few really good left-handed pool players, and I'm wondering if others here believe that left-handers make better pool players. I'd like to start a list of left-handed pro pool players - Miz, Sigel, Rodney Morris - others?

About 10% of the population is left-handed, and in my experience it seems that more than 10% of the accomplished pool players are lefties. (I'm a righty.)

Apparently it's common for competitive athletes to have an over-representation of lefties. For example, far more than 10%, and probably the majority of the top baseball sluggers have been lefties, according to this.

One possibility is that, because left-handers are so much more rare, right-handers are not as used to competing against them. So pitchers learn how to pitch to right-handers but aren't as good at pitching to left-handers. But lefties are used to facing righties, so they're familiar with the situation in which their opponent is unfamiliar.

That would explain a lefty advantage for direct head-to-head sports like baseball, boxing, and tennis. But it really wouldn't explain a lefty advantage in other, non-interactive sports, like golf or pool.

This is where the more interesting theory comes in, an evolutionary-based theory called The Fighting Hypothesis. The idea, as I understand it, is that lefties have been more likely to be warriors, and this roughly translates into competitive athletics in today's less-violent world.

It was this Radiolab podcast episode that got me thinking about this stuff:
http://www.radiolab.org/story/whats-right-when-youre-left/

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Good one, lol

I think left-handers generaly look more natural at the table, maybe because the right brain is more feel- and image-oriented than the logical, verbally-oriented right brain.
But who knows?

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Allen. As you obviously know, I'm a left handed pool player but write with my right hand. I always considered myself much smarter than my brother (Allen Brown) when it came to the picture books and such LOL!

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who are the top left handed pros vs the top right handed? I'm pretty sure the top players currently such as SVB, Darren Appleton, Dennis Orcollo, and Alex Pagulayan are all right handed. Not sure who the last dominating left handed player was…..Rodney Morris?

Playin4Dinner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a lefty and feel that I must post in this thread. Add Shaw, Lombardo off top of my head...

Try to post later with more... :thumbup:

As far as the op, I'd like to believe this is true....

Last edited:

cluelesscuer

They definitely seem better in math and science. It seemed like at least half of the advanced classes in those subjects wrote left handed. Maybe it's the analytical part of the game that they thrive in?

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
They are in their right mind.

^^^^this^^^^

and yes, absolutely. but they have to be left SIGHTED, as well as left HANDED. this is pure dominance.

and if, they have the rare ability to be analytical, as well as creative - well, then they go both ways. (ambidextrous)

chandler1968

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it me or do all left-handers look great down over a ball? I know a few and they all play well and have great fundamentals.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
For all the left-handers out there, what are some problems you deal with that right-handed players don't?

Here are my pet peeves:

Having to tell my opponent to move over to the left side of the table on the lag. (Sick and tired of this!)

Playing doubles and my partner keeps leaving me shots that only a right-hander can reach (then I do the opposite to him on purpose).

Having to take off my wedding ring when I play so I don't scratch the finish on my cue (Then forget to put it back on, get home and wife wonders why I'm not wearing the ring and where I've been).

It's tough being a leftie.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
For all the left-handers out there, what are some problems you deal with that right-handed players don't?

Here are my pet peeves:

Having to tell my opponent to move over to the left side of the table on the lag. (Sick and tired of this!)

Playing doubles and my partner keeps leaving me shots that only a right-hander can reach (then I do the opposite to him on purpose).

Having to take off my wedding ring when I play so I don't scratch the finish on my cue (Then forget to put it back on, get home and wife wonders why I'm not wearing the ring and where I've been).

It's tough being a leftie.

yes.
yes.
and yes.

i've thought long & hard on this, and the only thing i can add, is that my watch gets in my line of vision. (yes, i then remember to take it off.)

i love playing KK9, cause almost everytime he pulls a safety, i'm able to get out. to this day, he still forgets that i'm a lefty.