Cue dimensions

Shanesmj

Registered
Hello all... I am looking for a new cue but I am having difficulty with the handle dimension .... I want a production cue (can't afford custom) that has a handle that has the same dimension along the entire handle. How do I find that? What do I ask for that types?

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
Hello all... I am looking for a new cue but I am having difficulty with the handle dimension .... I want a production cue (can't afford custom) that has a handle that has the same dimension along the entire handle. How do I find that? What do I ask for that types?

Go try out all the cues you can afford and want to play with then you know which one you want. After all you are the person going to play with that cue. :wink:

Happy Holiday.....

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Not one factory is dumb enough to do that.

Shanesmj

Registered
I do not live near any billiards stores that would have much of a selection. ... Probably going to have to buy online to get what I think I want.

(Joeyincali - why do you say a maker would be dumb to have same dimension along entire handle?)

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You understand that how is gonna look right?
Your cue would have an extremely sharp taper on the forearm to achieve that.
No cue out there has a handle with the exact same dimension thorughout the handle. It`s just the way cues are made.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I do not live near any billiards stores that would have much of a selection. ... Probably going to have to buy online to get what I think I want.

(Joeyincali - why do you say a maker would be dumb to have same dimension along entire handle?)

It will hit like a noodle .
It will need more weight added too to make up for the lost mass.
There is no good reason to have a straight handle on a playing cue.

If you can't play with a cue with a tapered handle, there is something wrong with your game . Not the handle .
2 MM of taper in 6 inches where you usually hold the cue shouldn't bother you.

JC

Coos Cues
It will hit like a noodle .
It will need more weight added too to make up for the lost mass.
There is no good reason to have a straight handle on a playing cue.

If you can't play with a cue with a tapered handle, there is something wrong with your game . Not the handle .
2 MM of taper in 6 inches where you usually hold the cue shouldn't bother you.

It depends on what the diameter is of the straight handle. If it's as small as the front then yes, if it's as big as the butt end then it will be heavier. If it's as big as the middle point it should be about a push. Maybe the good reason is because that's what he likes. That is after all the criteria most people judge their cues on.

OP: Bob Flynn at Denali cues will build that for you and he won't ridicule you either. The price probably wont be much more if any than a decent production cue if you don't get too fancy. And he'll get it done when he says he will.

JC

Shanesmj

Registered
First. .. baronia cues look awesome but about twice my budget. Appear to start at 1400.

Second why is Joeyincali so self righteousness. Apparently I am not the only one that likes the handle to stay the same size no matter if I choke up or stretch out. (Wrong with my game. ... dumb statement.)

JC, Thanks for Denali lead I will look them up.

(Should state that my original viper Platinum cue had almost no diameter change from front to back of handle but I want an upgrade. Bought a McDermott "cue of the month" for just under 600 but it feels like I am holding a coke can.)

GrimmCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 to 4 years ago I remember a few cuemakers discussing using multiple tapers in their cues. I believe it was a steep taper on their forearms, much less of a taper on the handle and no taper on the butt sleeve. You'll have to dig a little with a search.

Rich

Last edited:

Gainey Q's

Registered
Any CUSTOM Cue Maker should be able to accommodate your request. That is the whole definition behind the word "Custom" correct? Message me and we can find the best way to suit your needs.