8 Ball Rule

G.Ouellet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For example :

Player calls 9 ball in corner pocket. Cue ball hits the 9 first but also hits one of opponents ball that sinks BEFORE the 9 ball is pocketed, and then the 9 ball follows.

Is this a legit shot? Basically can you make one of your opponent ball before your own if you hit your object ball first and you made the ball you called after the opponents ball.

Thanks!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For example :

Player calls 9 ball in corner pocket. Cue ball hits the 9 first but also hits one of opponents ball that sinks BEFORE the 9 ball is pocketed, and then the 9 ball follows.

Is this a legit shot? Basically can you make one of your opponent ball before your own if you hit your object ball first and you made the ball you called after the opponents ball.

Thanks!

yes.........

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You called the pocket, ball entered said pocket, good shot.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds perfectly legal to me but usually difficult to do if it was intended, it takes a bit of skill. I've seen it many times but mostly with luck.

G.Ouellet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds perfectly legal to me but usually difficult to do if it was intended, it takes a bit of skill. I've seen it many times but mostly with luck.

I saw that happen when two balls where in front of the pocket and the opponent's ball was right in front of an object ball. He just pounded both in one after the other and I was unsure if it was legal.

SWRLE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that happen when two balls where in front of the pocket and the opponent's ball was right in front of an object ball. He just pounded both in one after the other and I was unsure if it was legal.

Everything seemed fine in this thread until you just said "opponent's ball was right in front of an object ball" so now I'm confused about the situation

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm sure it's a legal shot as long as there was not a push shot or a double hit on the cue ball involved.

There are ways to pocket your ball in after making your opponents ball.
One is to but some draw on the cue ball and hit your object ball full so that your object ball will take follow and roll in after his ball.

Another is to just roll the cue ball to your object ball if there is a fair amount of space between your object ball and our opponents ball. The space between the objects is needed so that your ball has time to grab the cloth and start a natural roll toward the pocket. The conditions have to be right for this to happen.

Another way to pocket your ball after making the combination and have the cue ball follow forward and strike your ball again. I'm sure there must are other ways

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an important shot to know, for taking care of an opponent's ball blocking a pocket. It's not luck at all to make - some people will use draw to impart some follow on your object ball, but I think it's more about accuracy and the right speed so that the object ball is rolling firmly when it hits the opponent's ball.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This happens all the time, unless I am misunderstanding your scenario. If I have a ball that I am cutting thin to the corner but my opponent has one of his balls hanging near the side pocket, I will often cut my ball down to the corner and use his as a "blocker" to stop the cue ball. His ball will go in the side before my ball makes it into the corner.

I called my ball correctly and hit it first, there is no foul.

*edit* oh, you are talking both balls in the same pocket? Tough to do but it can be done and is still legal.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Called ball goes in called pocket after a legal stroke and after hitting a legal ball first, then the shot is good.

vvsels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its called pocket. as long as you call the pocket it doesn't matter how many rails it takes or even it double banks. If it goes to the called pockets, its a legal shot.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
As everyone else has said, it's legal according to WSR or BCA rules.

It may not be legal if you're playing funky house rules. If you are playing funky house rules, it's best to clarify situations like this before you take your shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For example :

Thanks!
There is no official rule in any pool game that mentions the timing of which object ball went in first when several are pocketed. Of course, if you're playing by "house rules" anything is possible.

Which rules are you playing by?