Ball in hand?

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love playing ball in hand (anywhere) on games like 8-ball. I'd like to play by the official 14.1 rules, but this is the one thing I'd change.... does anyone else play ball in hand anywhere for penalties?

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I'm curious... do you play one pocket this way too? :p

I personally wouldn't change this rule, just like I wouldn't change it in one pocket.

It would take away from the strategy of the safety play somewhat I believe, but it could be fun to try.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Uh... wouldn't that take away intentional fouls? Which would then take away the three-foul rule...

You would only have one break foul because if a ball came loose and the incoming shooter got BIH, he could smash the pile and go crazy...

BIH anywhere on the table DRASTICALLY changes the game (in my limited and quasi-humble opinion.)

Edited to add: It wouldn't literally take them away, they would just never come into play.

whatsupsport

See it, aim it, shoot it.
To be honest I really don't care if it's BIH after a foul while playing 14.1. I can't stand fouling on purpose, it make no sense to me. Most of us are just average players and should always be taken to task for fouling in any pool game.

I once was playing a game with this guy and he did a intentional foul (He left the cue in the middle of the stack). So here it what I did to him, I reached into my bag and pulled out my intentional foul cue. (My shorty cue, Q-TIP) I touched the ball and said your shot. I told him we can do this all day, you created the mess and i'm not going to help you out of it so shoot.

Have a nice day.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest I really don't care if it's BIH after a foul while playing 14.1. I can't stand fouling on purpose, it make no sense to me. Most of us are just average players and should always be taken to task for fouling in any pool game.

I once was playing a game with this guy and he did a intentional foul (He left the cue in the middle of the stack). So here it what I did to him, I reached into my bag and pulled out my intentional foul cue. (My shorty cue, Q-TIP) I touched the ball and said your shot. I told him we can do this all day, you created the mess and i'm not going to help you out of it so shoot.

Have a nice day.

:smile:

I advise that you learn the rules of straight pool. Even the average person knows the rules about 3 consecutive fouls is loss of 15 points and a rerack.

So...you're not going to do it all day.:thumbup:

whatsupsport

See it, aim it, shoot it.

Have a nice day.

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose I just never quite understood why some games are only behind the head string. It seems advantageous to commit a foul in certain circumstances, which just doesn't seem right..

We know plenty of people play 8-ball behind the head string (the same people that play last pocket :rolleyes:).. I know I've played in bars where I'm left with the cue ball and 8 ball in the kitchen, just due to some shady strategy..

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I suppose I just never quite understood why some games are only behind the head string. It seems advantageous to commit a foul in certain circumstances, which just doesn't seem right..

We know plenty of people play 8-ball behind the head string (the same people that play last pocket :rolleyes:).. I know I've played in bars where I'm left with the cue ball and 8 ball in the kitchen, just due to some shady strategy..

Right, it is advantageous but it comes at a cost, you lose a point and you're "on one." Do it three times in a row, you lose a total of 18 points.

You shouldn't take an intentional foul without also doing something useful, like knocking some balls loose or putting them into a decent position.

If nothing else, you can put your opponent "on two" before taking a shot. Then when your opponent comes to the table they have to make a legal shot or commit their third foul.

There's a lot of strategy to taking intentional fouls and I'm not nearly qualified to get into details (I'm just repeating what I've heard on accu-stats and read in Capelle books.)

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right, it is advantageous but it comes at a cost, you lose a point and you're "on one." Do it three times in a row, you lose a total of 18 points.

You shouldn't take an intentional foul without also doing something useful, like knocking some balls loose or putting them into a decent position.

If nothing else, you can put your opponent "on two" before taking a shot. Then when your opponent comes to the table they have to make a legal shot or commit their third foul.

There's a lot of strategy to taking intentional fouls and I'm not nearly qualified to get into details (I'm just repeating what I've heard on accu-stats and read in Capelle books.)

Im amazed at how many 14.1 players dont know a lot of rules or strategies of the game... Most players never have been is situations when some of those rules came into play. One rule in particular is when calling an intentional safe they touch the furrel on the top of the cue ball.... Efren did it against Dallas West,, Dallas called foul and the tourney director had to go look it up....If anyone knows all the rules its Dallas.....The result was 15 ball penalty and choice of playing the balls as they are or makin your opponent rerack and opening break sequence in effect......It pays to read and understand ALL the rules........In my opinion 14.1 is the purest form of pocket billiards........

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Im amazed at how many 14.1 players dont know a lot of rules or strategies of the game... Most players never have been is situations when some of those rules came into play. One rule in particular is when calling an intentional safe they touch the furrel on the top of the cue ball.... Efren did it against Dallas West,, Dallas called foul and the tourney director had to go look it up....If anyone knows all the rules its Dallas.....The result was 15 ball penalty and choice of playing the balls as they are or makin your opponent rerack and opening break sequence in effect......It pays to read and understand ALL the rules........In my opinion 14.1 is the purest form of pocket billiards........
And it's important to note that the particular rule that got Efren has changed slightly in the 2008 rules revision. Anyone who hasn't read the official rules in a while (or apparently ever for some participants) may want to go here: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And it's important to note that the particular rule that got Efren has changed slightly in the 2008 rules revision. Anyone who hasn't read the official rules in a while (or apparently ever for some participants) may want to go here: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

Bob, what was the rule that got Efren? Did he intentionally miscue? ("touch the ferrule on top of the cue ball")? If so, isn't that always unsportsmanlike conduct?

I have a hard time believing Efren would do something unsportsmanlike given his character.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, what was the rule that got Efren? Did he intentionally miscue? ("touch the ferrule on top of the cue ball")? If so, isn't that always unsportsmanlike conduct?

I have a hard time believing Efren would do something unsportsmanlike given his character.
I imagine that Efren has never read the rule book. The particular rule that he violated would now be called something like "intentionally moving balls in play other than by a shot." When it is your turn, and the rules for your particular situation do not explicitly permit passing the shot back to your opponent, you must take a shot.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have a nice day.

Until you commit your third foul, then you lose a total of 18 points and are REQUIRED to re-break the balls as in the opening break.

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"intentionally moving balls in play other than by a shot."

Would stopping the cue ball before it falls in a hole then become a 15 point penalty, behind the string and choice to re-rack rather than just the 1 point for a scratched cue ball?

I thought the above to be such but during DCC, thought I saw it happen but I don't believe the draconian punishment was assessed.

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, why?? I started playing pool in '61 so I learned to play without those rules. Would you still be playing without those rules?

I also learned to play without those rules, but once in place it just felt like a more honest game to me. Maybe that's not necessarily the case, just my preference I suppose.

Thanks to those that responded with some talk of strategy situations, that helps to shed some light on the rule. I'll keep it as is, no sense in muffing up the best game there is!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would stopping the cue ball before it falls in a hole then become a 15 point penalty, behind the string and choice to re-rack rather than just the 1 point for a scratched cue ball?

I thought the above to be such but during DCC, thought I saw it happen but I don't believe the draconian punishment was assessed.
The penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is up to the referee. If a player catches a falling cue ball in a situation where it is obviously no benefit to him to foul and the cue ball is clearly falling, some referees might just issue a warning.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, as a Training Method

I love playing ball in hand (anywhere) on games like 8-ball. I'd like to play by the official 14.1 rules, but this is the one thing I'd change.... does anyone else play ball in hand anywhere for penalties?
Yes. I have played matches with an opponent where we utilized BIH anywhere after any fouls.

This was done as a part of developmental training.

Extend match length to 200 points. Keep written score, to track your innings.

Shooting these games with an offensive mind set will also develop judgement. You will learn what and when to shoot certain shots, and utilize those later in regular play.

This does not inhibit learning safety play, as Safety Play is allowed.

Learning to play straight pool is about fun, and finding your own desires for dvelopment.