Apa Aloha tournament....sportsmanship

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably wind up long so bow out now if you are not into those.

Our qualifer for hawaii was held this weekend and several days ago i contacted my lo about possibly forfeiting my team out of it. Due to several factors all happening at the same time i only had 4 players available for a 5 man team tournament.

Well i wound up getting a 5 th player and was not enthused about our chances since i would not have 2 of my better players.

We went with 5...5...3...3...3. Two of those 3's are very weak 3' s and the other one is decent....decent enough to be raised to a 4 during the tournament. She is the player i managed to get the night before the tournament started and due to her outstanding play in the last match beating a 6 by 2-0 we won our first round.

Next round we faced what i thought was a tougher team ....on paper anyways than our first opponent. Again ...surprisingly the underdogs " us " won that round.

We move on and then last night we again face the team that we beat in our first round. Now here is where the sportsmanship part of my title comes into play. The opposing captain selects his player for the first match....unaware he was in the middle of a match on their other team.

Now i am in a delimna....do i take an easy win by forfeit with a trip to hawaii on the line against a team i thought we were lucky to beat the first time.....or do i allow him to select another player ? In a decision like this i decided to talk it over with the team and also the lo...we decided to win it on the table.

Tight match all the way to the last match where it becomes sudden death due to time limits. Sudden death in 8 ball comes down to one rack. Winner moves on and loser goes home. So i am up and call out their captain ...a 6 and i am a 5. I was not surprised when he declined to throw himself and threw his stronger 6 instead lol.

Well .....bottom line is i missed my last ball on a thin cut in the side pocket hitting the tip leaving me a straight in shot on the 8...then watch my opponent run out. I honestly did not think we would have done as well as we did considering 2 of my better players could not make it. Damn proud of the effort of my whole team.

Also want to give a shout out to the lo's for a well ran tournament ....keeping it on schedule with around 36 teams in it i believe. Awesome job by them.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably wind up long so bow out now if you are not into those.

Our qualifer for hawaii was held this weekend and several days ago i contacted my lo about possibly forfeiting my team out of it. Due to several factors all happening at the same time i only had 4 players available for a 5 man team tournament.

Well i wound up getting a 5 th player and was not enthused about our chances since i would not have 2 of my better players.

We went with 5...5...3...3...3. Two of those 3's are very weak 3' s and the other one is decent....decent enough to be raised to a 4 during the tournament. She is the player i managed to get the night before the tournament started and due to her outstanding play in the last match beating a 6 by 2-0 we won our first round.

Next round we faced what i thought was a tougher team ....on paper anyways than our first opponent. Again ...surprisingly the underdogs " us " won that round.

We move on and then last night we again face the team that we beat in our first round. Now here is where the sportsmanship part of my title comes into play. The opposing captain selects his player for the first match....unaware he was in the middle of a match on their other team.

Now i am in a delimna....do i take an easy win by forfeit with a trip to hawaii on the line against a team i thought we were lucky to beat the first time.....or do i allow him to select another player ? In a decision like this i decided to talk it over with the team and also the lo...we decided to win it on the table.

Tight match all the way to the last match where it becomes sudden death due to time limits. Sudden death in 8 ball comes down to one rack. Winner moves on and loser goes home. So i am up and call out their captain ...a 6 and i am a 5. I was not surprised when he declined to throw himself and threw his stronger 6 instead lol.

Well .....bottom line is i missed my last ball on a thin cut in the side pocket hitting the tip leaving me a straight in shot on the 8...then watch my opponent run out. I honestly did not think we would have done as well as we did considering 2 of my better players could not make it. Damn proud of the effort of my whole team.

Also want to give a shout out to the lo's for a well ran tournament ....keeping it on schedule with around 36 teams in it i believe. Awesome job by them.

Bottom line!

You screwed up!

If time was a factor, you should have taken the guaranteed win.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was the other captains problem. Why would you call a player to the table if he/she is not present? I wouldn't know why.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line!

You screwed up!

If time was a factor, you should have taken the guaranteed win.

Yea i screwed uo....the shot at my last ball. Time was not a factor until the last match as we started on time....matches just ran long.

I look at it this way. After the matches were over one of my weak 3's aploagized for losing the 4th match 4-0 vs a 5. I told her i did not expect her to play any better than she did and i certainly did not expect her to beat a 5. I also told her that her loss would have not mattered had i made my last ball and if an apology was due it should be me for missing a shot that was well within my skill level.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you want to win on the table and no you don't toot your own horn about it tbh.

Sometimes the meanng of the written word can be misinterpreted....woukd you mind clarifying ....tooting your own horn.....before i respond to your post ?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Win or lose on the table

The weather in Memphis today shows a high of 54 and a low of 40.

I'm looking out my OPEN windows here in Hawaii and the sun is shining and it is 78 degrees at 9:00 A.M.

If you are going to win a trip to Omaha, you win it on the table.

If you are going to win a trip to Oahu, you take the win utilizing the rules that govern the league.

If the leabue is going to follow the rules for insufficient time and do a sudden death playoff, then you should be able to use the rules that favor you.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was the other captains problem. Why would you call a player to the table if he/she is not present? I wouldn't know why.

This is the second time that this issue came up with me. I guess its bound to happen when you have several players playing on more than one team during a tournament and you fail to ensure all your players are at your table during your matches.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the second time that this issue came up with me. I guess its bound to happen when you have several players playing on more than one team during a tournament and you fail to ensure all your players are at your table during your matches.

Mistake by that captain, should have been punished
the same as shooting a scratch shot or letting the
cueball loose.

You discussed with your team and made a decision
it seems you all were happy with.

I don't know if I would call it sportsmanship,
a nice gesture none the less.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The weather in Memphis today shows a high of 54 and a low of 40.

I'm looking out my OPEN windows here in Hawaii and the sun is shining and it is 78 degrees at 9:00 A.M.

If you are going to win a trip to Omaha, you win it on the table.

If you are going to win a trip to Oahu, you take the win utilizing the rules that govern the league.

If the leabue is going to follow the rules for insufficient time and do a sudden death playoff, then you should be able to use the rules that favor you.

Sportsmanshilp defines a persons character ...or lack of it.

Here is an anology on your omaha vs hawaii.

Somebody drops a dollar.....most people inform him.

Somebody drops a ten. A few less inform him

Somebody drops a hundred....a whole lot less inform him.

The same with calling fouls on yourself. Most people will when nothing is on the line. Few will when playing for money. My character is not tempted based on the prize.

Come to think of it i can probably be bought for a hundred thousand or so though :grin-square:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The same with calling fouls on yourself. Most people will when nothing is on the line. Few will when playing for money. My character is not tempted based on the prize.

Come to think of it i can probably be bought for a hundred thousand or so though :grin-square:

I lived on Oahu for about 7 years, it's not so grand as to compromise your morals for a trip.

Your analogy rings true.
I enjoy watching the UFC, few fights back Jon Jones makes an illegal strike, Smith could have taken the DQ win, but where is the honor.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was playing in a state tournament once in the mainland.

I broke and ran the table down to the 8-ball in the last game.

The 8-ball was straight in the corner and I called the pocket and said something to the effect of, "I don't really need to walk to other end of the table to get the patch, do I", and he said, "go ahead and shoot it".

After I shot it, he called the ref over and said I didn't mark the pocket.

That put me in the loser's bracket.

After that, I quit playing "gentlemen's rules" and came to play "rules are rules"...I DGAF about who likes it or dislikes it.

That is why I like to play "all ball fouls". I don't touch balls too often. If you do, you should be penalized.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mistake by that captain, should have been punished
the same as shooting a scratch shot or letting the
cueball loose.

You discussed with your team and made a decision
it seems you all were happy with.

I don't know if I would call it sportsmanship,
a nice gesture none the less.

There are no alternatives when you commit a foul. You scratch you give bih...simple as that. Apa rules do give a few alternatives for some situations. ....at the local level.

Replays are an example....if you are short a player our rules allow you to play some one twice....solely at the opposing captains descretion. He can refuse a replay or he chooses to allow a replay he chooses the player ....as long as that player does not make you go over 23.

Allowing you to change your selection in a matchup falls in the same category.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived on Oahu for about 7 years, it's not so grand as to compromise your morals for a trip.

Your analogy rings true.
I enjoy watching the UFC, few fights back Jon Jones makes an illegal strike, Smith could have taken the DQ win, but where is the honor.

I lived near Memphis for many years and have been there numerous times.

Oahu gives Memphis the 2 thru 8 in 9-ball and the break and first shot with ball in hand.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived near Memphis for many years and have been there numerous times.

Oahu gives Memphis the 2 thru 8 in 9-ball and the break and first shot with ball in hand.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I lived in Oahu when the main sewer line broke and they dumped millions of gallons of raw sewage into the ala wai canal, which feeds right out into the only couple good surf breaks in town(kaiser and bowls).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I lived in Oahu when the main sewer line broke and they dumped millions of gallons of raw sewage into the ala wai canal, which feeds right out into the only couple good surf breaks in town(kaiser and bowls).

Memphis is one of the most violent cities in the USA.

They also have sewer problems.

That "mud" you see at Mud Island may not be "mud".

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...pump-sewage-into-mississippi-river/412350002/

Memphis will pump sewage into Mississippi River

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in a state tournament once in the mainland.

I broke and ran the table down to the 8-ball in the last game.

The 8-ball was straight in the corner and I called the pocket and said something to the effect of, "I don't really need to walk to other end of the table to get the patch, do I", and he said, "go ahead and shoot it".

After I shot it, he called the ref over and said I didn't mark the pocket.

That put me in the loser's bracket.

After that, I quit playing "gentlemen's rules" and came to play "rules are rules"...I DGAF about who likes it or dislikes it.

That is why I like to play "all ball fouls". I don't touch balls too often. If you do, you should be penalized.

I understand perfectly your position and will not criticize you for feeling that way.

I have had that same not marking the pocket thing happen to me 3 times so far. But considering i have over 1500 matches in apa with only those 3 instances i do not feel the need to hold every one accountable for the actions of a few. Believe me when i say i have not forgotten the actions of those few and ever since then i throw the rule book at them when given the chance.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no alternatives when you commit a foul. You scratch you give bih...simple as that. Apa rules do give a few alternatives for some situations. ....at the local level.

Replays are an example....if you are short a player our rules allow you to play some one twice....solely at the opposing captains descretion. He can refuse a replay or he chooses to allow a replay he chooses the player ....as long as that player does not make you go over 23.

Allowing you to change your selection in a matchup falls in the same category.

Maybe your error in strategy then.
If a guy makes an error/mistake and the rules give you
a strategic advantage, it is not poor sportsmanship
if you use that option, just part of the game.

Like I said, you discuss with your team, you chose
an option you are all happy with.

Not sportsmanship in my opinion, just a nice
gesture amongst fellow league players.

If you felt it would compromise your integrity or
morals to use a rule that gives you an advantage
I don't think it matters what your playing for.
You have to do what is right for you. Or in
this case, your team did what was right for themselves.