The GOAT's cue??

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
"Efren been using that cue for a couple years....
I read somewhere a Joel Davidas cue

That Cue was pictured on JD Cues website a few years ago and everyone assumed it was a JD Cue. But Joel posted that it was a Diveney Cue that Efren had him make a new shaft.

scottyja

Efren was in an interview once with SVB and mentioned he does in fact use Elk Master Tips Still. Question is, what are we doing wrong?? LOL

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren was in an interview once with SVB and mentioned he does in fact use Elk Master Tips Still. Question is, what are we doing wrong?? LOL
Somebody asked him this at DCC in '07 and Efren said " soaked Elks". I'm assuming he meant some type of milk-dud.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Somebody asked him this at DCC in '07 and Efren said " soaked Elks". I'm assuming he meant some type of milk-dud.

They are soaked and pressed .
He showed two pieces to me at Hard Times one time.
He brought some of his own.
He had one tip replaced locally and he said he thinks the local repairman did not use the one he gave him.

He also told me and a late friend over late lunch in Manila about his infamous $15 cue. He won that cue in a match. He started using it as a break cue then the tip settled and he liked it so much, he started using it as his playing cue.
He basically started liking pressed or settled Elk Master since.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He had one tip replaced locally and he said he thinks the local repairman did not use the one he gave him.

He also told me and a late friend over late lunch in Manila about his infamous $15 cue. He won that cue in a match. He started using it as a break cue then the tip settled and he liked it so much, he started using it as his playing cue.
Just curious, is his preference for Elk Master tips the possible reason that is the tip of choice for most Pinoy players?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Just curious, is his preference for Elk Master tips the possible reason that is the tip of choice for most Pinoy players?

I don't think so.
I think it's just because EM is cheap and very common there.
They grew up liking them.
Superman Gomez uses the blue Brunswick one. It's even softer .

And somehow, a lot of them do no like layered tips.
Rodulfo Luat used to bring Moori tips from Japan.
He sold them but never used them. IF I only knew they'd be worth more than gold these days, I would have bought them all from him.:D

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an accustats video from a few years ago when Efren won the DCC one pocket title (again) and he was using a cue that looked like the one pictured here. I'm thinking it might have been a Diveney.

What's interesting is over the years I've seen him mostly play with SS joint cues. I wonder what joint and pin it has.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Equipment-wise, Efren is a testament and a constant reminder that all you need is a cue that feels right, MAYBE dead straight & a tip that feels great when shooting.

Not really. He’s one of the greatest players of all time with natural ability we can’t understand but to enjoy. For regular old average talented guys like me I’ll take my revo lol

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Equipment-wise, Efren is a testament and a constant reminder that all you need is a cue that feels right, MAYBE dead straight & a tip that feels great when shooting.

I have no doubt Efren could play at a high level with a house cue but I suspect he is far more particular about his equipment than people think. I remember a thread a few years ago in which someone described putting a tip on for Efren and he wasn't just okay with whatever they did. He had his own tip with him and wanted it done a certain way.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member

I read somewhere that he and his cohorts used to (maybe still do) cut "seasoned" elk masters off house cues with a pocket knife surreptitiously and reinstall them on his cues. Someone else posted on here once upon a time that they picked up his Judd at a DCC when he took a break and poked a few balls around; report was that the ferule was loose, the tip almost gone and the balance was wonky...AZB poster couldn't see how anyone could draw the CB an inch with that cue. :)

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Doesn't take a Mensa IQ to figure out that if you have the same cue as a pro, you many not play the same as a pro.