Enhancing the "Mental Game" of Pool - What's the Best Way?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Cart before horse?

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, but if you want to improve your mental game, starting winning. It's just that simple!

Shoot safe,

John

Just my opinion but I think it's the opposite...if you want to start winning, work on your mental game as well as technique.

I agree with CJ about the value of experiencing financial hardship. Of course, there are exceptions to almost every rule, but most of the great players I've met were not born into great wealth.

Back to topic, "Pleasures of Small Motions" (R. Fancher) helped my mental game.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hypnosis, it's such a powerful study of human language patterns.

You make some great points.

I know when I was a teenager running around the country, if I lost a gambling match I'd sleep on the floor. No one could beat me up as bad as I could (mentally), however, at some point it's best to find a "gentler" way of developing.

One of the best moves I ever made was getting my degree in Hypnosis, it's such a powerful study of human language patterns (and how words are used to program the mind)..... quite effective in more ways than one. ;) 'The Game is the Teacher'

Oh yes, the comfort zone. That place where there is no stress, no risk, and no REWARD.

Is comfort bad? No, we all need to spend some time in our comfort zone. But, if we live there then comfort no longer stays comfort, it becomes bordom. That easy 9-5 job that pays the bills becomes something you loathe. There is no growth, no gains, no reward. And that is when you really feel the stress.

So we all need to step out of our comfort zone. We need to experience situations that cause stress and involve risk. I think someone should start small at first. Body building is a great way to introduce this concept of adding stress in order to see gains. Parkour is another great activity that demonstrates how attempting activities that involve manageable risks until you conquer it can be self-rewarding. Most people dont understand the philosophy behind parkour, they think it is just kids doing crazy and dangerous stunts but it is about overcoming obstacles that involve some risk http://youtu.be/NFYxxuVXj40. But the idea is to start small though. Dont pick an obstacle to conquer that a professional parkour athlete has built up to. Slowly progress your risks and realize that not everyone has the same tolerance for risk. Pick a manageable risks and stress you can handle and stick with it until you conquer it. Do not over stretch yourself but DO GET INTO THE HABIT OF TAKING RISKS. Start to step out of your comfort zone with parkour or bodybuilding and you will get experience for later in life when you are deciding if you should quit your job and start a business.

Once you get into the habit of stepping outside of your comfort zone on your own you will also be better prepared to deal with life when the not so comfortable times are forced upon you. You will know that time is on your side and with hard work and perseverance things will become easy again.

I know I don't need to tell you this, I'm just adding more thoughts on the subject.

Good thread CJ.

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too. When you have to cut the 9 down the rail for the rent, it gives you a whole new perspective.

That's a GREAT quote. I'm stealing it.

I think Mitchxout says more in one sentence than else in 3 pages.

CJ, half the time (or more?) my OPINION is that it's utter malarky - your prose. SOME or even MOST or maybe ALL (to give benefit of doubt) of the time it's highly entertaining, though I doubt you're fully aware of that. One could only speculate. Besides the words, I think everyone has respect/admiration for one (such as you - and the innumerable pros who chime in) who has achieved such a great deal of professionalism. Even though much of the gobbldygook I ignore, the grain of truth may well be in there somewhere. I guess I'd be better served and more respectful to say one man's gobbldygook is another's treasure so who am I to judge? Not that it matters, but for that reason I salute you. "Can you feel the silence?" I find you to be a bit of Entertainer or Performer and that's great for all sport and competition. Einstein was a miserable, rotten philosopher, and apparently was only happy playing his violin. There are too many one trick ponys. Se la vie. Actually, there seem to be numerous highly entertaining figures at AZB and so I salute them too. Maybe billiards just attracts "knock-down-drag-out funny characters" but I'm also a bit amazed how downright hilarious things get. "The answer to focus problems is: to ignore them and put stuff in my body?" was just one random instance.

What truthfully AMAZES me is that somebody of CJ's caliber (and my hats off to David Sapolis e.g. [to name a completely random young gun that comes to mind] and all other great champions that contribute to a public forum) actually comes to a public square or venue and "engages the gathering throng." That takes verve. AZB must be fairly unique in the world of sport? Or a "phenomenon?" This thing is bizarre. ...I hope I spelled that right since I'm not good with homonyms.. AZB has literally CHANGED (and dare I say IMPROVED?) my [billiards] life and there may be little need for the editorial/parenthetical.

I wish everyone here - to a man - peace and prosperity. Unless yer an a-hole.

"No Guru, No Method, No Teacher" -VM A.K.A. George Ivan Morrison

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yes, the comfort zone. That place where there is no stress, no risk, and no REWARD.

Is comfort bad? No, we all need to spend some time in our comfort zone. But, if we live there then comfort no longer stays comfort, it becomes bordom. That easy 9-5 job that pays the bills becomes something you loathe. There is no growth, no gains, no reward. And that is when you really feel the stress.

So we all need to step out of our comfort zone. We need to experience situations that cause stress and involve risk. I think someone should start small at first. Body building is a great way to introduce this concept of adding stress in order to see gains. Parkour is another great activity that demonstrates how attempting activities that involve manageable risks until you conquer it can be self-rewarding. Most people dont understand the philosophy behind parkour, they think it is just kids doing crazy and dangerous stunts but it is about overcoming obstacles that involve some risk http://youtu.be/NFYxxuVXj40. But the idea is to start small though. Dont pick an obstacle to conquer that a professional parkour athlete has built up to. Slowly progress your risks and realize that not everyone has the same tolerance for risk. Pick a manageable risks and stress you can handle and stick with it until you conquer it. Do not over stretch yourself but DO GET INTO THE HABIT OF TAKING RISKS. Start to step out of your comfort zone with parkour or bodybuilding and you will get experience for later in life when you are deciding if you should quit your job and start a business.

Once you get into the habit of stepping outside of your comfort zone on your own you will also be better prepared to deal with life when the not so comfortable times are forced upon you. You will know that time is on your side and with hard work and perseverance things will become easy again.

I know I don't need to tell you this, I'm just adding more thoughts on the subject.

Good thread CJ.

As you said,
"when the not so comfortable times are forced upon you"
This is from one of the many motivational clips,

Pain is temporary it may last for a minute, or a hour,
a day, or even year, but eventually it will subside
and something else will take it’s place. If I quit however
it will last forever !

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are enough people that have gone before and speed great strength, courage, and perseverance in the face of obstacles. I've always been under the belief that if you surround yourself with enough examples at all times, you can do anything in terms of accomplishing goals.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CKyJc2_yg

This video says it all.

Thanks for the thread Cj, just like your videos, you always keep my mind working. My training is all the better for it.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
When striving to unlock the subconscious potential (of a player) this is vital

My main objective is to "keep the mind working" until something "clicks". When striving to unlock the subconscious potential (of a player) this is vital and always productive.

Let's face it, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is futile, it's best to at least experiment.

I've been giving more lessons than usual with accomplished players and it's made me "dig deep" to find the most effective way to train the mind, and especially the stroke. The most interesting thing is how different it is from what's commonly thought and understood......such is life ;) 'The GaMe is the Teacher'

There are enough people that have gone before and speed great strength, courage, and perseverance in the face of obstacles. I've always been under the belief that if you surround yourself with enough examples at all times, you can do anything in terms of accomplishing goals.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CKyJc2_yg

This video says it all.

Thanks for the thread Cj, just like your videos, you always keep my mind working. My training is all the better for it.