Hurst, TX...Witten's Grill & Sports Pub has (4) 9' Gold Growns!

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, how can this place exist and there not be any mention on AZ Billiards?

https://www.facebook.com/Wittensgrill

Four Gold Crown VI tables...wow, this is a 14.1 player's dream!

And....drumroll......NO SMOKING ALLOWED!!!

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

425728_353041708074510_1866026065_n.jpg

426058_353042224741125_1754551837_n.jpg

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
W-o-o-o-w-w-w!!! 9-foot tables -- existing in... Texas?!? And four of them, in one place?

What's this world coming to? Straight pool in Texas? Nooooooo! Next thing you know, they'll have hail in Texas... wait, they actually do have that in tornado alley...

:p
-Sean

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big glass windows are not that great, during the day that would be very distracting. What did they say in the hustler "turn off that sunshine", it was something like that but still nice tables.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I was finally able to stop by there last night. The tables started slightly fast, but were much slower by the end of the night... not super fast IMHO. The pockets are not too tight but not overly loose either... again, IMHO. The place is nice and food was pretty good. The people seemed nice enough. It did get a little warm in there as the day went on. The windows face North and East more or less, so that wasn't a huge factor. Also, I'm not sure of the type of table... no counters and I didn't see a plate on the table.

Overall, it was a pleasant place to play.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was finally able to stop by there last night. The tables started slightly fast, but were much slower by the end of the night... not super fast IMHO. The pockets are not too tight but not overly loose either... again, IMHO. The place is nice and food was pretty good. The people seemed nice enough. It did get a little warm in there as the day went on. The windows face North and East more or less, so that wasn't a huge factor. Also, I'm not sure of the type of table... no counters and I didn't see a plate on the table.

Overall, it was a pleasant place to play.

I checked it out Sunday before the Volcano's tournament. It is a nice place and the tables do play well.

WittensGrill

Registered
The windows fortunately don't face west. They face East and North. I might add blinds if glare is an issue. So far no complaints though... They are Gold Crown IV's with Simonis 860 cloth. I will be getting something to help count very soon. Beads or something. Thank you all for your posts. Richard Witten

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Great, Great, Great

The windows fortunately don't face west. They face East and North. I might add blinds if glare is an issue. So far no complaints though... They are Gold Crown IV's with Simonis 860 cloth. I will be getting something to help count very soon. Beads or something. Thank you all for your posts. Richard Witten

Thank you Sir for doing this for the area. I am an hour away but I will come visit soon. Once again Thank You.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pockets are not too tight but not overly loose either... again, IMHO.

Yep, I tested and found two balls fit into the corner pocket with perhaps 1/8" space left. Maybe these are single shim pockets? Very respectable, proper for straight pool, not overly tight to frustrate mere mortals. :)

WittensGrill

Registered
It makes me very happy to know that I didn't make a mistake by getting these tables. My average customers are generally "Ball Bangers" just out to hit some balls and have no idea how nice these tables really are. They tend to get frustrated quickly because of the difficulty of pocketing balls on these tables vs your average 7' or 8' tables. As a result they don't stay as long as they would if they were playing on smaller tables with buckets for pockets. Not necessarily good for business because they don't stay as long which means they don't spend as much money. I bought them because I am a pool player and I love playing on them. If it wasn't for Mark putting a post here on AZ and helping to get the word out than I might have changed 2 of these tables out for a couple coin op bar boxes. Thank you to Mark for getting the word out and also for bringing Don in who authored the post above. You guys got me ready to learn how to become a good 14.1 player! I had no idea that it is still such a popular game. I'm ready to support you guys in anyway I can. Thanks to Don for the shout out on our cuban sandwich too! I love it too.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hungry. I wanna play pool. I'm heading over this afternoon for some 14.1 and some Cuban sandwich...

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been 3 times.Only played once but tables -equipment are good.
Cheeseburgers are great. Service needs to improve a little.
A friend who is real picky about tables-balls was happy! He set up a breakshot ran a few balls before he got out of line and mised. He then ran
a qiuck 50 before getting kicked in on a good breakshot. I asked how he
struck the break? His reply was "I hit it good-pocketed the ball-into the
stack and out clean.Then a ball which had been broken out,kicked whitey
in the corner.It has happened many many times before.And as long as this
game is played,will continue to !"

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I've been a couple more times since I last posted. As for the service, I asked the bartender how it worked...

I usually walk in and up to the bartender and ask for a rack of balls. At this point, the bartender has my tab. If I just go up and wait at a table, the theory is that the waitress comes around and will get me a rack and have my tab.

Herein may lie an issue... when the bartender has my tab, I have to go up the bar to get another drink, order food, etc. When the bartender has my tab, the waitress ignores me. Not once when the bartender has had my tab has the waitress said a word to me.

It's not necessarily a problem once you understand that's the way it works here. However, a couple of people have mentioned to me that if they are not at the bar, they should be waited on and I can definitely see their point. Now if the bartender came around and asked me if I wanted another drink, etc. this would be a moot point, but I believe they are losing some possible sales by not having the waitress come around.

The tables play great and the food is also very good. Just be aware that if you're not being waited on, the bartender has your tab. One other small complaint is that the lighting could be better over the tables... but that's probably a tougher issue to solve.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Thanks for the info Samiel. I haven't been over there yet, but plan to whenever things settle down a bit in my busy life.

I normally won't play much pool on a table with bad lighting. At my age and with my poor eyesight, I need all the light I can get to see the edges of the balls clearly. But.....I can make exceptions for a nice playing Gold Crown :thumbup:!

Maniac

WittensGrill

Registered
Waitress

Hi Samiel,
I am very big on good service and hate to hear that my customers have not been receiving good service consistantly. It is kind of a tough problem since servers only make $2.13 per hour plus tips. When you start your tab with the bartender the servers would have to wait on you for no tip since the bartender will get the tip. That is still no excuse for the server to ignore you or pretend like you aren't there. I am not very happy with a couple of my servers and they are on very thin ice as a result. I am going to talk to all my staff about this issue and try to work somekind of fair compromise out between the servers and the bartenders. The bartenders don't like to transfer tabs to the servers once they have served you because then they will not get tipped but I think they need to accept that as part of the job and do what is in the best interest of our customer. I totally agree that if you are not at the bar a server should be serving you. Since we are not consistantly busy we don't always have a server on duty and in that case the bartender needs to cover the floor as well as the bar. I really wish I didn't have to keep working my day job so I could be there to make sure everything is running optimally and my customers are all getting good service. Hopefully if business keeps picking up I will be able to devote all my attention to my business. Thank you for trying to help make us better. You could have been hateful in your post but you were fair and accurate and I will make every effort to correct these issues. As for the lighting you are correct that this is not an easy fix. If I hang lights down it will block the TV's. I do want to point out that the lighting isn't bad by any means. I am a pool player myself and would not have bad lighting under any circumstances. I agree it could be better but it is pretty good. Not like Lonnegans used to be where there were shadows. No shadows here. Thanks again for all your feedback and support! Richard Witten

I've been a couple more times since I last posted. As for the service, I asked the bartender how it worked...

I usually walk in and up to the bartender and ask for a rack of balls. At this point, the bartender has my tab. If I just go up and wait at a table, the theory is that the waitress comes around and will get me a rack and have my tab.

Herein may lie an issue... when the bartender has my tab, I have to go up the bar to get another drink, order food, etc. When the bartender has my tab, the waitress ignores me. Not once when the bartender has had my tab has the waitress said a word to me.

It's not necessarily a problem once you understand that's the way it works here. However, a couple of people have mentioned to me that if they are not at the bar, they should be waited on and I can definitely see their point. Now if the bartender came around and asked me if I wanted another drink, etc. this would be a moot point, but I believe they are losing some possible sales by not having the waitress come around.

The tables play great and the food is also very good. Just be aware that if you're not being waited on, the bartender has your tab. One other small complaint is that the lighting could be better over the tables... but that's probably a tougher issue to solve.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply! Really, the lighting isn't terrible, but near the end of the night it can be tough to see near the ends of the tables. Of course, given your setup, I don't see an easy fix. Hopefully business picks up a lot for you! The food has been great, so I think it's just a matter of getting them in door!