What does your 14.1 cue weigh?

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The title says it. Please include if you use a lot of spin in your style of shooting.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
The title says it. Please include if you use a lot of spin in your style of shooting.

Lou to my knowledge in most cases whether your playing 14-1 or nine ball I don't think a cues weight really changes that much. Most of the players that play 14-1 in my Pool Room use the same cue for all games they play.

I am uncertain what benefit you would get from changing the weight of a cues for different games. To my limited knowledge a players stroke is far more important and will impact play much more than weight. To me a cues weight is based upon personal preference than anything else.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou to my knowledge in most cases whether your playing 14-1 or nine ball I don't think a cues weight really changes that much. Most of the players that play 14-1 in my Pool Room use the same cue for all games they play.

I am uncertain what benefit you would get from changing the weight of a cues for different games. To my limited knowledge a players stroke is far more important and will impact play much more than weight. To me a cues weight is based upon personal preference than anything else.

To your "limited knowledge" 14k+ posts :thumbup:

I really have limited knowledge. It seems to me that in 14.1 it's mostly close shots with angles to bump the pack or cluster, or stop. When I play 9 ball the next shot is at the other end of the table and with my poor position a "Hail Mary". So I'm thinking long shot heavier cue, it's probably opposit.

Thanks

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
To your "limited knowledge" 14k+ posts :thumbup:

I really have limited knowledge. It seems to me that in 14.1 it's mostly close shots with angles to bump the pack or cluster, or stop. When I play 9 ball the next shot is at the other end of the table and with my poor position a "Hail Mary".

Thanks

In either case cue ball control and speed control have little to do with the weight of a cue that player chooses to play with. This is where having a fluent smooth stroke really comes into play.

Hope this helps man, and have a great night.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In either case cue ball control and speed control have little to do with the weight of a cue that player chooses to play with. This is where having a fluent smooth stroke really comes into play.

Hope this helps man, and have a great night.

OK Thanks Craig.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 19 oz. and a lot of spin.

As for you comment about 9-ball, longer shots, heavier cue; remember kinetic energy is defined as 1/2 * m * v^2. m is mass and v is velocity. Doubling the mass only doubles the KE. Doubling the velocity increases the KE proportional to the square of the velocity.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 19 oz. and a lot of spin.

As for you comment about 9-ball, longer shots, heavier cue; remember kinetic energy is defined as 1/2 * m * v^2. m is mass and v is velocity. Doubling the mass only doubles the KE. Doubling the velocity increases the KE proportional to the square of the velocity.

One more time in English please:D

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
that IS english.

it means that increasing your cue weight is a losing proposition if it means you can't move the cue as fast. and that the effect is dramatic, because it varies with the square of velocity, whereas the effect of weight is just linear.

same thing holds for splitting wood: "Monster Mauls" and the like are actually waaaaay less effective than a modest-weight maul that you can swing faster.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that IS english.

it means that increasing your cue weight is a losing proposition if it means you can't move the cue as fast. and that the effect is dramatic, because it varies with the square of velocity, whereas the effect of weight is just linear.

same thing holds for splitting wood: "Monster Mauls" and the like are actually waaaaay less effective than a modest-weight maul that you can swing faster.

I got now. Thanks.

Funny thing about me. I always want to know how things work and what makes them work. I have burned up lots of time because of it, but to me it's fun.

Last edited:

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More faster you move the cue, more spin you will get.
The lighter the cue, the faster you can move it = more spin.I use 20-ounce to 21 oz. cue.

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Meucci cue and its weight is 19 ounce. It has a lot of spin too. Weight of the cue doesn't matter a lot. You should play with a cue with which you get the best control on your shots.