Fake gold crowns sold on eBay

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
How could anyone in their right mind bid on this thinking it's really a brunswick...?
At first glance I can see it's a knockoff fake.

This GC3 is a knockoff.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221704256189

I hope everyone around AZB knows the real thing from the fake, I'd hate for one of you to get burnd when buying a brunswick GoldCrown.
Let's see if you guys can ID the obvious signs between a knockoff and the real deal gold crown.

BUYER BEWARE!

Rob.M

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Damn, they removed the listing.
I was curious if I could tell the difference in a picture.
...pretty sure I could tell if I played on it.

played on some Taicans in the 90s

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope everyone around AZB knows the real thing from the fake, I'd hate for one of you to get burnd when buying a brunswick GoldCrown.
I guess you hated the idea so much that you went so far as to "hoping" that some here know the real thing from the fake.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is that...the pictures posted are not of Brunswick Gold Crown 3s.

I was watching this table on eBay when I was table shopping. I thought it was real. How can you tell it's a knockoff?

The price was a little bit of a red flag for me at the time. IIRC it was listed for less than $1000.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we need RKC to chime in again and help educate all of us on this one based on the pics - thanks in advance, RKC!

LIVFST

realkingcobra

Silver Member
1) Wrong color laminate on the top rails.
2) No Brunswick emblem in the metal ball tray.
3) Ball return is bolted on, and does not match a Brunswick ball return.
4) Bridge holder is not Brunswick.
5) Leg pedestals have a pronounced arch in the center at the bottom middle, Brunswick have a consistent arch from one side to the other. Also has wrong pedestal end caps for being a Brunswick, and the leg levelers don't screw up into the pedestals which also indicates a shorter leg pedestal.
6) Slate frame timber is painted black, Brunswick don't paint theirs.
7) Pocket castings are the wrong color for a GC3.

Is that enough difference for everyone? And yes, Brunswick did use slate from Italy starting in about 1976 or so.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Did I forget to mention the frame the slate mounts to is made out of plywood and not solid timber like a GC frame is made with;)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew we'd get the right answers from RKC. Thanks, Glen. I learned a few new things today :)

LIVFST

ROB.M

Silver Member
Table

You guys should of known all the signs of a fake.
Notice no trim on the ball box and those are not brunswick pockets, the aprons are covered in what is basically wallpaper, you can see the frame is way off and the frame is laminated rather than the monster timber of a GC.

Come on detective Sherlock Holmes, let's see what ya got'

Rob.M

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You guys should of known all the signs of a fake.
Notice no trim on the ball box and those are not brunswick pockets, the aprons are covered in what is basically wallpaper, you can see the frame is way off and the frame is laminated rather than the monster timber of a GC.

Come on detective Sherlock Holmes, let's see what ya got'

Rob.M
Can't see the ball box in the pictures you posted!

ROB.M

Silver Member
Table

In the first pic on the first pages you can catch a slight peep at the front of the ball box just enough to see there is no trim, just as you caught the ball box butting up to the pedestal in the corner of the pic. Good eyes inspector dog'

AZERS' get on the inspection when purchasing a pool table!

Rob.M

Last edited: