Should 'SALES' threads have a price listed ?

Should 'SALES' threads have a price listed ?

• Are these 'disquised auctions' ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opinion being offered

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Posting an item for sale without a price attached opens the door to impropriety.
"PM for details" avoids transparency, ie, would everyone get the same price quote ?
Is the item still available or will it go the potential buyer who's willing to pay the higher price ?

Last edited:

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
If its a "for sale" thread, then of course it should have a price. There are enough watchful eyes even on cue makers, not being transparent is a red flag.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi KJ
1-Why should Manufacturers prices be the same as retail prices?
2- It's none of my business if someone says pm for prices. What's the big deal anyway.
3- Is this thread worth anything?

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Posting Prices

This is not a general or post anything for sale site. Its intended for machinery and cuemaking supplies, directed at cuemakers and those interested in becoming one, plus a few sightseers, hobbyist,etc. Therefore, everybody has access to whatever is for sale.
Should everybody pay the same price on new items, that's up to the seller. Most of the listings are for used items. You want to sell me something better put the price on it, no time for all the other time consuming, wasteful, stuff.
A certain portion of the users here are very price savvy but that's not what this is about is it?

Mario

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi KJ
2- It's none of my business if someone says pm for prices. What's the big deal anyway.

I agree with all of the above.

If I'm interested in an item offered I'll enquire about it. If not, I won't.
Don't want what he's offering? Keep on going. What's the problem?

Larry has been on this site for years. How do I know he's a square shooter? Experience.

Robin Snyder

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi KJ

You are entitled to your opinion. So are those who disagree with your stance. The fact that there are those who disagree with you and Mr. Snyder should make this thread worth something, just maybe not to you.

It can be frustrating and a real waste of time when someone posts something for sale with ambiguous or no prices, you contact the seller and you are given a price and you reply with sold and are ready to send payment...somewhere...only to find out you are no longer worthy of a reply. Then, you find out the same exact thing happened to others because the seller was playing a silent auction game.

I'm fairly confident the person who I experienced this with also introduced KJ to the game...at least once.

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are entitled to your opinion. So are those who disagree with your stance. The fact that there are those who disagree with you and Mr. Snyder should make this thread worth something, just maybe not to you.

It can be frustrating and a real waste of time when someone posts something for sale with ambiguous or no prices, you contact the seller and you are given a price and you reply with sold and are ready to send payment...somewhere...only to find out you are no longer worthy of a reply. Then, you find out the same exact thing happened to others because the seller was playing a silent auction game.

I'm fairly confident the person who I experienced this with also introduced KJ to the game...at least once.

This happened to me once too. It turned out it was our friend from Watkins Glen, NY. It's the only time I've had a problem. Then again I mainly stick with sellers I've known of for years. It works for me.

Robin Snyder

JC

Coos Cues
Yes prices should be posted. And further more they should remain forever instead of the word "sold" replacing them after the sale.

Why? Because this isn't Friendly Frank's used car bonanza here. It's a specialty buy and sell forum frequented by adults. Ever see something you have been looking for after it's sold and wonder what it might take to buy one in the future? Well Friendly Frank doesn't want you to know for some twisted reason known only to him. I'm sure it makes perfect sense in some world somewhere.

And god help you if the secret price turns out to be not what you're willing to pay and you say so. Then you're a time wasting, low balling, cheap ass nit. When it fact it's your time that was wasted by the nonsensical greedy seller, not the other way around. If he would have just posted the god damned price you could have made a decision whether you were even remotely interested prior to using up moments of your life thinking about it. And this goes for cars on the corner and houses for sale by owner too, not just here. I like to call about those things just to ridicule the asking price no matter what it is. Serves them right.

I guess some things are just so special that the price can't be mentioned or questioned. Personally I've yet to see such an item.

JC

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When items are offered for sale I scan the post and if there is no price, I just go to the next post.

Dick

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hi KJ

Hi Back @ Ya Mike,

I think that you know that I respect both you and your opinions so let me address your concerns before I carry this further.
Your question of "Manufacturers prices/retail prices" suggests that you might think this is about 'MAP'; it's not.
It pertains solely to the sales activities here in AZB-land. Specifically, should a price accompany an item for sale ?

This isn't about a specific thread though one in particular was the impetus for the poll. It, (item f/s & no price),
seems to becoming common practice in ALL of the sales threads. I haven't seen much discussion on the matter and decided
that now was as good a time as any. This allows ALL concerned to come together in a single thread to voice their opinion.
I see this as being beneficial to both sides of the issue, buyer AND seller. Feed-back is a positive thing.
Even negative F/B can be viewed as positive in that there's an opportunity to learn.

My opinion is that a seller can run his sales thread any way he sees fit; it's his/her thread.
However, does the seller fully realize the suspicion they've created by not posting a price ?
I'm in the boat with a lot of the responders so far in that if I don't see a price, I keep moving.
I'm also not a fan of attempting to buy an item by notifying the seller and waiting days to find-out
that it's no longer available and I missed it by minutes (thanx Kelly). Quit wasting my time, it's not yours to waste.
I'd like to see all sales activity kept posted so all interested buyers know the status. Is it too much to ask ?
Again, I don't care what other sellers do, they're doing it to themselves.

"Is this thread worth anything?" To that Michael, all I can say is that the proof is in the pudding.
I see this discussion as being quite fruitful and enlightening. Hopefully other AZB sellers may find that as well.

Many thanx to all who have posted so far. Any and all opinions are welcome because inquiring minds want to know.
I believe a good, positive discussion can lead to a better understanding and a more positive outcome.

KJ

Reactions: JC

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I'm Back.....

"This isn't about a specific thread though one in particular was the impetus for the poll."

After about the third re-read, I felt that the above statement may sound a bit contradictory.
Hopefully this will clarify.
In that 'one thread in particular', a fellow CM asked basically the same question that I have in my poll.
He was polite, gave no criticism and merely wanted to know why no price was given.
He got hammered for asking. My appearance in THAT thread would have only led to havoc.
I decided it better to have a poll and bring the issue of 'item/price' to the forefront and to do it now.
This issue needs to be addressed.
I hope that the 'priceless sellers' are listening and are willing to share their opinions. They will be welcome.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I think prices should be required.
Thanks KJ for posting this, and I wonder how many that will respond with the attitude that it's ok to not post prices May have been the beneficiaries of these type of...lack of better words, silent auctions, if you will?
Makes one wonder.
I base my buying here on the facts of, do I want/need it and can I afford it and is the seller upstanding.
That is very hard to decide if the seller appears to be playing a shell game and you have to play pm tag and HOPE he likes you.... Just to get a price. I, like others don't have the time to play silly games, list a price and it either sells to joe smoe or to todd tiddly winks, either way all people that look will know.
I have 2 beliefs as to why certain people don't do it..., one, to sell to who you want for a price that depends on who the buyer is, and adjust the price accordingly. Two, to avoid anyone knowing how much they really make off selling here, as that is the only thing they do here, and do NOT contribute One dime to the forum owner to upkeep the system nor offer any real advice or help to other members. This site takes plenty of bandwidth to run, which equals money...and a person selling hundreds of dollars a month here and pays Nothing and contributes Nothing but hides their profits made from selling here, Either reason is not right, IMO..There are quite a few sites require a percentage or a set fee to sell on them, Knife forums and pen making forums do it quite often, from my experience. AZ is one of the few that don't as they expect people to be supportive of the system by buying a membership, but quite a few, and they know who they are, don't contribute a dime. Maybe time for Mike to start charging a fee to sell here or require buying a membership to sell here, at the very least it may hinder people like Forney from coming back as easily as they would have to provide a credit card and have an expense to pay upfront.
Some thing needs to change.
Dave

Reactions: JC

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think prices should be required.
Thanks KJ for posting this, and I wonder how many that will respond with the attitude that it's ok to not post prices May have been the beneficiaries of these type of...lack of better words, silent auctions, if you will?
Makes one wonder.
I base my buying here on the facts of, do I want/need it and can I afford it and is the seller upstanding.
That is very hard to decide if the seller appears to be playing a shell game and you have to play pm tag and HOPE he likes you.... Just to get a price. I, like others don't have the time to play silly games, list a price and it either sells to joe smoe or to todd tiddly winks, either way all people that look will know.
I have 2 beliefs as to why certain people don't do it..., one, to sell to who you want for a price that depends on who the buyer is, and adjust the price accordingly. Two, to avoid anyone knowing how much they really make off selling here, as that is the only thing they do here, and do NOT contribute One dime to the forum owner to upkeep the system nor offer any real advice or help to other members. This site takes plenty of bandwidth to run, which equals money...and a person selling hundreds of dollars a month here and pays Nothing and contributes Nothing but hides their profits made from selling here, Either reason is not right, IMO..There are quite a few sites require a percentage or a set fee to sell on them, Knife forums and pen making forums do it quite often, from my experience. AZ is one of the few that don't as they expect people to be supportive of the system by buying a membership, but quite a few, and they know who they are, don't contribute a dime. Maybe time for Mike to start charging a fee to sell here or require buying a membership to sell here, at the very least it may hinder people like Forney from coming back as easily as they would have to provide a credit card and have an expense to pay upfront.
Some thing needs to change."
Dave

Great post Dave.
I would have no problem at all with folks at least being required to buy a membership to sell here. This site is certainly a resource, and resources take money to operate as you've indicated. I also rather like the idea of at least attaching a selling price to the item/s, that you're going to sell. At that point the buyer knows upfront what the starting point is, and can decide for themselves, if it's even worth pursuing. I don't mind communicating with folks who purchase from me via PM, or email, and I have even spoken with a few via telephone, but I will admit, that many times I have had buyers PM me for a price, even when the prices are clearly listed. I try to update my particular thread/s as often as I can without feeling like a nuisance to other sellers, but it seems that some buyers simply want to ask for information that you as the seller, have already clearly posted time and time again. What is the answer? I don't know. The way I am wired, I attempt to be pleasant, and treat every customer as if they are my only one. It does get frustrating at times, but at the end of the day, I just remind myself that people are enjoying what I am providing, and making many of their acquaintances has been the real reward. I also want to commend KJ for his style, in bringing this issue to light. He did this in the right way, as only a savvy vet can...with class, and absolutely with the correct approach. In the form of civil discussion.
Best regards to all.
Joe P.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Back @ Ya Mike,

I think that you know that I respect both you and your opinions so let me address your concerns before I carry this further.
Your question of "Manufacturers prices/retail prices" suggests that you might think this is about 'MAP'; it's not.
It pertains solely to the sales activities here in AZB-land. Specifically, should a price accompany an item for sale ?

This isn't about a specific thread though one in particular was the impetus for the poll. It, (item f/s & no price),
seems to becoming common practice in ALL of the sales threads. I haven't seen much discussion on the matter and decided
that now was as good a time as any. This allows ALL concerned to come together in a single thread to voice their opinion.
I see this as being beneficial to both sides of the issue, buyer AND seller. Feed-back is a positive thing.
Even negative F/B can be viewed as positive in that there's an opportunity to learn.

My opinion is that a seller can run his sales thread any way he sees fit; it's his/her thread.
However, does the seller fully realize the suspicion they've created by not posting a price ?
I'm in the boat with a lot of the responders so far in that if I don't see a price, I keep moving.
I'm also not a fan of attempting to buy an item by notifying the seller and waiting days to find-out
that it's no longer available and I missed it by minutes (thanx Kelly). Quit wasting my time, it's not yours to waste.
I'd like to see all sales activity kept posted so all interested buyers know the status. Is it too much to ask ?
Again, I don't care what other sellers do, they're doing it to themselves.

"Is this thread worth anything?" To that Michael, all I can say is that the proof is in the pudding.
I see this discussion as being quite fruitful and enlightening. Hopefully other AZB sellers may find that as well.

Many thanx to all who have posted so far. Any and all opinions are welcome because inquiring minds want to know.
I believe a good, positive discussion can lead to a better understanding and a more positive outcome.

KJ

Yeah I know. I'm the abnormal part of the equation. I don't sell on here. Nor do I buy on here. I'm just a member who tries not to complain to much but sometimes can't help it. I move along..

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
Specific to this section "pm for pricing and details" immediately seems shady as hell to me.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZ is one of the few that don't as they expect people to be supportive of the system by buying a membership, but quite a few, and they know who they are, don't contribute a dime. Maybe time for Mike to start charging a fee to sell here or require buying a membership to sell here,
Dave[/QUOTE]

morning dave
You should be a forum cop. Your always trying to stir shit up. But I'll address the above. I contribute quite a bit on here in knowledge. I do not solicit on here nor do I buy on here. If someone doesn't want to post prices. I respect thier decision eneogh to not break thier balls about it. It is no big deal to me. I do however think it's funny how everything seems to be a big deal to people like yourself. Life is to short youngster.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
When someone is selling something they can do it any way they want. If you dont like it move on and keep your nose out of it. I have sold many things on here to many nice people, but there are so many dick heads that I like PM's, and they still piss and moan because i didnt sell to them.
Then there are those that ask too much for what they are selling and someone feels a need to tell them about. If you dont like it MYOB.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To Mr. Mike Webb,
As someone who appreciates the time that you do take to offer advice to those in need, and also thinks that you happen to build a darn nice cue...Why wouldn't you buy something just because it's being sold here at AZ? I certainly respect your decision/s to handle your affairs as you see fit, but admittedly I am curious. If you would rather not answer, or tell me to pizz up a rope, that it's none of my business, I completely understand.
All the best.
Joe P.

Last edited: