What CNC cutters to use?

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Taig CNC mill to use for inlays. I HAD planned on using "Precise Bits" because I"d read a lot of good comments about them on the forum. That was until I read on their site that the operating RPM for these is 20-100K. I'd like to upgrade to a precision high speed spindle someday, but, for now, I've got the stock Taig spindle and it's maximum RPM is 10.6K. I'm worried that this isn't enough to utilize these high speed carbide bits.

Anyone have experience using the stock Taig mill for inlays? What bits do you use?

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Taig CNC mill to use for inlays. I HAD planned on using "Precise Bits" because I"d read a lot of good comments about them on the forum. That was until I read on their site that the operating RPM for these is 20-100K. I'd like to upgrade to a precision high speed spindle someday, but, for now, I've got the stock Taig spindle and it's maximum RPM is 10.6K. I'm worried that this isn't enough to utilize these high speed carbide bits.

Anyone have experience using the stock Taig mill for inlays? What bits do you use?

Precise Bits sell good inlay bits. I would stick with no smaller than 1/32 until you get a faster spindle motor. You will need to go at a slower feed rate. Pricise good information of finding what feed rate works best. I wuld guess that you will be at between 8 and 15 inches a minute. You could go faster if you take shallow passes. Stay away from the deep reach bits. What ever you do, don't get rid of the taig spindle as it comes in handy for making fixtures.

Jim.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use good bits like the precise and change your system out to a laminate trimmer and the slow RPM problem is solved. Keep the existing headstock for metal work and cutting point grooves. I think Lee sells a Kress router and mount for the mill ready to go.

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have found a good source there at Precisebit. Highly recommended.
I have a industrial spindle which peaks out at 18K RPM and the bits cuts great,
no problem so far in my end.

Kent