Next Cue Recommendations

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am retiring from federal service on March 31st this year. I am pondering buying myself a new cue to play with since i'll have more time to play/practice after I retire.

Currently I have, or have had in the past, the following cues:
Chad Carter Custom
Nova Custom
Schon
Jacoby
Cuetec
Joss
Lucasi
Meucci
Schmelke
Pechauer
Madison Bob
Scorpion
314 Predator Shaft for the Lucasi

Anyway, since I am soon to be a pensioner and since I just had new cloth put on my Gold Crown IV and since I just bought a Dachshund puppy, I am sort of on a budget here. Would like to keep this to under $500. So, can anyone make any recommendation here as to what would be a good next cue purchase? Some of the brands I am considering are:

Falcon
OB
McDermott
Mezz
Custom Cue by xxxxx

Thoughts? And yes, I realize I might be limiting my options with the $500 or so limit.

r/DCP

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
congrats on making it to your pensioned retirement and also on your acquiring a dachshund puppy. :thumbup:

now on to the cue.

You're gonna get a lot of subjective opinions and advice, and here is mine:

Get a custom.

I noticed that Joe, from Bama Cues (one of az's absolute best, btw), had just listed a brand spanking new, *highly* figured birdseye Olney cue for, I believe, $450, and I would snap that thing up in a minute, if I were in the market.

In fact, I need another cue like a hole in the head and I was seriously considering grabbing it, just because. :grin-square:

here's the link:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=390640

It's a beauty.

Joe also has a new rosewood & maple wrapless olney for $495.

GL with whatever youu decide.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a nice custom.

Don't order one, though. I'll never do that again...

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you prefer regular or LD shafts? Or do you not really care either way?

For regular shafts I would go with a Schon or the Olney like KC mentioned previously. I have had a couple Olneys and they are superb playing cues.

If you want LD for under $500 I would look to Mezz or OB probably, both can be had in that price range with an LD shaft stock.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, explain to me what an "Olney" cue is?

And the one you mentioned is sold. Plus it had a wood to wood joint and I wont ever have one of those again.

As far as a regular or LD shaft, i'd prefer the regular shaft.

Keep the ideas coming men!

DCP

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And the one you mentioned is sold. Plus it had a wood to wood joint and I wont ever have one of those again.

As far as a regular of LD shaft, i'd prefer the regular shaft.

DCP

Jeff Olney, he's a cuemaker.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

As far as a regular of LD shaft, i'd prefer the regular shaft.

DCP

here's the olney 1/2 phenolic joint w/ 3/8 10 pin, it's the same that is on the two that Bama Cues has, or had, as you indicated one was already sold. imo, a fantastic joint.

pic is of my olney main playing cue that I'll keep forever.

I, and I know many others, think Jeff's cues are the absolute best bang for the buck one can get on a custom.

but again, it's all subjective. :wink:

best,
brian kc.

Attachments

• Olney-07-bacote-pin-collars.jpg
    Olney-07-bacote-pin-collars.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 979
  • Olney-07-bacote-full.jpg
    Olney-07-bacote-full.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 913
Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of trying out the cue that Shane uses. Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Cuetec-13-694-R-360-Series-Maple/dp/B001D26FUS

Does anybody have experiences with this cue? Seems like a good cue for the price.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I've played with many of the R-360 Cuetecs, having recommended them for years, and indeed with the specific model Shane uses. They all play just about identically in that whole R-360 series -- which is to say: absolutely terrific. I also like all their wrap and wrapless options in that series. Very powerful, yet sensitive cues (if I may use those essentially hard to define terms). You'll know it when you feel them.

The reviews on Amazon are very much on-target, and I share the view expressed therein by the guy who called them "sleepers." Extreme bang for the buck -- always have been IMO.

Arnaldo

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PREDATOR ROADLINE. 6 POINT FULL SPLICE! NO CUE ON PLANET MATCHES. NOTHING. A PLAYING MACHINE! :thumbup:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PREDATOR ROADLINE. 6 POINT FULL SPLICE! NO CUE ON PLANET MATCHES. NOTHING. A PLAYING MACHINE! :thumbup:

Do Predator cues have a wood to wood joint? What exactly is a uni-loc joint?

Not sure i'd want a cue that only used a LD shaft.

DCP

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sneakies are the best bang for your buck in my opinion, and you can get one from a great maker for easily within your budget. I think that's the best affordable custom option. Frey, Sly, Diviney, Josey, etc. will all make you a great sneaky for that much and you can have the maker customize them to your specs. And used you can get one for as little as 200. I think there's a Cohen sneaky pete in the WFS section right now for less than 500. He's a new maker who is doing really clean work in my opinion.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As far as a regular or LD shaft, i'd prefer the regular shaft.

DCP

If you don't want a wood to wood joint, forget OB, I'm pretty sure all of their cues are 3/8 x 10 pin and wood joint. And you wanted a regular shaft, so OB is out for that also.

McDermott also has most of their cues with the same wood to wood joint as OB.

Seems like you already owned a ton of good cues, if you did not like Schon or Joss or Nova you likely won't like Falcon or Mezz since they have a similar hit to those brands.

For a metal joint, Schon would likely be my pick for $500 range.

Wally83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Divinney

Way to go on the retirement! Hope you enjoy your time as I'm sure it's well deserved.

As far as an opinion on a good playing cue for under $500, I would suggest a sneaky pete

by Pat Divinney. I think he makes a great cue and you can find them in the 300-500

dollar range. I actually have one that is very new with slight play it has a G 10 pin, black

phenolic joint, and is a cocobolo into birdseye sneaky. Picked it up last year as I've

always wanted one but don't use it. If your interested pm me and I will send you some

pics. If not good luck with your search.

Ben

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do Predator cues have a wood to wood joint? What exactly is a uni-loc joint?

DCP

Google is your friend. http://uni-loc.com/uni-loc_anatomy.php

Oh wait, since you blocked me, you'll never know.
Perhaps if you delineated the self perceived shortcomings of all the other wonderful cues you've owned, others could actually give you meaningful suggestions. But what do we know, anyways... :speechless: :wink: