Gold Crown questions

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Can a Gold Crown be made tight pocket just be swapping rails? Or is there more involved?

2. Do Gold Crown rails come in other than coated plastic laminate? Such as real wood?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Can a Gold Crown be made tight pocket just be swapping rails? Or is there more involved?

2. Do Gold Crown rails come in other than coated plastic laminate? Such as real wood?
-

There is much to tightening pockets the right way.
The GC only came off the production line with commercial grade formica laminate.
So to answer both your questions in one answer ...NO

Rob.M

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
If you intend to swap in rails that have already been modified, then the answer is: Yes. You absolutely can swap a set of rails, to make the pockets tighter.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Table mechanics simply shim the pocket sides to any dimension you wish................

Kim

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Table mechanics simply shim the pocket sides to any dimension you wish................

Kim

I would not say simply shim the pockets. You can install thicker facings, but then your table will play like crap. Installing thicker facings is not the proper way to reduce the pocket opening. The way to do it is by extending the wood on the sub-rail then using normal thickness facings so the table plays properly. Not exactly a quick and simple fix. If my choice is buckets or pockets "shimmed" (by not extending the sub-rails properly) from 5" to 4 1/2" I will stick with the buckets so the table at least plays nice and slightly easier.

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
The Gold Crown 5 is available in a tournament edition with 4.5 inch corners and 5 inch side pocket openings.

I agree with the other mechanics advise to have the pockets tightened properly, you'll need to extend the wood on the sub rails. Also remember to adjust the throat angles from 144 to 141 degrees and increase the down angles from 11 to 14 degrees. Now you'll have pockets that are smaller but play correctly.

Jay