West Coast Challenge Finals - loved it on POV

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
These were some of the most enjoyable matches I've ever watched. 10 ball, races to 11 and 9. Before the tournament my friend and I chose a few winners to sweat for the win. He took Alex and Torsten, I took Orcullo and Bustamante.

We watched in person the first Torsten/Orcullo match. Torsten came from behind to beat Dennis in an cliffhanger. Then I watched the Ernesto/Orcullo match on POV, which was tight too - then the Jason Williams/Orcullo match, where Jason was on the hill and missed a relatively routine 10 ball for the win. Orcullo squeaked by on that one.

Dennis then had to double dip Alex. I didn't think anybody could double dip Alex but I was hopeful cause my $20 and pool ego horse pick was on the line.

In the first set, race to 11, Dennis had Alex down 9-2 in a race to 11, then Alex stormed back but Dennis was able to win. Then came the finals, race to 9. They traded games and went hill/hill. Alex had a routine out but got a little out of line on a side pocket shot seven ball, so he had to fire it. The 7 ball went in and popped back out! Dennis ended up with the win. My buddy and I were jumping up and screaming like it was overtime in the superbowl and we had millions on the line.

The quality of the POV stream was exceptional by the way. That room, California Billiards near San Jose, is exceptional.

Last edited:

Magyar19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah that was a great stream, thanks POVPOOL. Jason "Tinkerbell" Williams is a helluva player!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Yeah that was a great stream, thanks POVPOOL. Jason "Tinkerbell" Williams is a helluva player!

Bingo on that! I had no clue Williams was that good. To scare Orcullo like that was amazing. A heartbreaking loss...

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Williams matches I viewed 'live' were stellar. Saturday, coming from behind to win against Edgie and yesterdays nail biter near win from behind against Orcullio probably the hottest player at the present time to move to Final. He has nothing to be ashamed of and allot to be proud of taking 3rd with Dennis winning the final having to beat Alex twice ! Congrats to Dennis, at the moment he is on 'fire'.

Those POV folks were great to see 'live' and say hello to. Super Professional and friendly to everyone. To me, their streams and commentating are 'Top Shelf' and I thanked them for all the hard work they do for all of us enthusiasts and the sport.

Have a good evening:groucho:

-Kat,

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the coke Dickson, and the one pocket and 10-ball from California billiard. It was fantastic! Really enjoyed the matches and the commentary. Really top notch.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stream was great. Between the 1p and 10b event I got to watch a ton of quality pool for free.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a great weekend of pool. Quality of pool and of stream.were excellent. Dennis escaped by the skin of his teeth a couple of times but came back through the losers side to win both the 1 Pocket and the 10 Ball against a very strong field. That is some very strong pool playing!! His game and his break are getting stronger and stronger due to his dedication. POV deserves props and donations.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member

I'll have you know that Jason doesn't like the name 'TinkerBell'. I doesn't really fit either if you ask me.

Thanks for all the compliments. I am just rising from the dead, here. I had a wonderful 13 hours of sleep after the drive back from Fremont. There are so many elements that have to work together to make a good stream happen and they are not all because of POV. I have to hand it to Chris Swart, the owner of California Billiards. His understanding of all the logistics of a good tournament make it much easier for us to do what we do. He is meticulous and experienced, easy going and honest.

As far as the event, I was out of my chair during some of those matches. The biggest upset was Jason Williams losing hill/hill to Dennis. Jason's a player who I've been friends with for 5 years, I have always had faith in his talent and prowess as a pool player. I'm sure those who know him will also agree that he's an even better person and friend.

'COMBINATION' Jason Williams

We have last minute action scheduled at Hard Times on Wednesday and Thursday as well, before the Hard Times 10 Ball event.

• Wednesday July 13th (TIME PENDING)
  • Sal Butera vs Ruben Bautista
  • 10 Ball / Races to 12
  • $1,000 Per Man / PER SET

• Thursday July 14th (TIME PENDING)
  • Rodney Morris vs Edgie Geronimo
  • 10 Ball / Races to 12
  • $2,000 Per Man / PER SET

Tune in at NOON and we'll get the times posted as soon as we know.

http://www.YouTube.com/povpool/live

Attachments

• FB-COVER-10BALL.gif
    FB-COVER-10BALL.gif
    63.1 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I'll have you know that Jason doesn't like the name 'TinkerBell'. I doesn't really fit either if you ask me.

Thanks for all the compliments. I am just rising from the dead, here. I had a wonderful 13 hours of sleep after the drive back from Fremont. There are so many elements that have to work together to make a good stream happen and they are not all because of POV. I have to hand it to Chris Swart, the owner of California Billiards. His understanding of all the logistics of a good tournament make it much easier for us to do what we do. He is meticulous and experienced, easy going and honest.

As far as the event, I was out of my chair during some of those matches. The biggest upset was Jason Williams losing hill/hill to Dennis. Jason's a player who I've been friends with for 5 years, I have always had faith in his talent and prowess as a pool player. I'm sure those who know him will also agree that he's an even better person and friend.

'COMBINATION' Jason Williams

We have last minute action scheduled at Hard Times on Wednesday and Thursday as well, before the Hard Times 10 Ball event.

• Wednesday July 13th (TIME PENDING)
  • Sal Butera vs Ruben Bautista
  • 10 Ball / Races to 12
  • $1,000 Per Man / PER SET

• Thursday July 14th (TIME PENDING)
  • Rodney Morris vs Edgie Geronimo
  • 10 Ball / Races to 12
  • $2,000 Per Man / PER SET

Tune in at NOON and we'll get the times posted as soon as we know.

http://www.YouTube.com/povpool/live

Subbing to remind me of Wed / Thurs matches. Thanks!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Yes, Dennis also put on a one pocket clinic. The matches were a little slow, but he showed that he can dominate that game with his uncanny ball control.

Did anybody see Schmidt rake the balls? I was watching that live and wondered why the match ended that quickly. My buddy said he forfeited but the game was young if I recall.

Looking forward to watching Efren tonight.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question for those that played/worked/attended the WCC.

Was the TV table located in the area of California Billiards that normally has the seven bar tables?

That is what it looked like from the live stream angles I observed.

Good job this weekend Daniel...enjoyed may hours of your stream.

And yes, California Billiard Club is an outstanding room. The best in our area by far!

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Was the TV table located in the area of California Billiards that normally has the seven bar tables?

And yes, California Billiard Club is an outstanding room. The best in our area by far!

Yes. It was where the bar tables are. I have just started playing there and I love it. It's about a 40 minute drive for me so I only go there a couple times a week.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. It was where the bar tables are. I have just started playing there and I love it. It's about a 40 minute drive for me so I only go there a couple times a week.

Thanks.

It was a smart move to make the change for the WCC.

When they play the Mezz West State Tour there, the TV table is too close to the bathrooms which leads to foot traffic on camera. Plus, the sound of the plates banging together from the kitchen gets annoying.

Yeah, great place to play. Every table is top notch. You must love it to make the 40 minute drive each way in Bay Area traffic.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

They moved a couple of tables from the tournament room over there and set up grandstand seating, draped table seating and the streaming booth.

They have a darn good Polish dog there and the Vietnamese restaurant across the street is my favorite. As a side note, the room was busy outside of the tournament. Most tables were full most of the evening hours.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Dennis also put on a one pocket clinic. The matches were a little slow, but he showed that he can dominate that game with his uncanny ball control.

Did anybody see Schmidt rake the balls? I was watching that live and wondered why the match ended that quickly. My buddy said he forfeited but the game was young if I recall.

Looking forward to watching Efren tonight.

John did the exact same thing playing 1 Pocket Richie at the Golden Cue a few years ago. Very early in the day Richie up one game and John missed a shot he felt he should have made and angrily raked the balls and stalked off. Richie and the rest of us watching were stunned.

John seems different since he returned from the East Coast Before no one had more heart. I watched him lose big $ to Morro week after week and he kept coming back. During the afternoons he was playing Jack Cooney to learn 1 Hole. Those lessons, gambling,were not cheap. He was saying that he had a mental thing with Morro and sure enough he got over that mental thing and the tide turned--big time. But the point is is that he never gave up on himself.

Now here we are again and John is deep into the tournament and playing very well and again he erupts. Sad. Yet he stuck around to sweat the rest of the 1 Pocket. I'm at a loss.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
John did the exact same thing playing 1 Pocket Richie at the Golden Cue a few years ago. Very early in the day Richie up one game and John missed a shot he felt he should have made and angrily raked the balls and stalked off. Richie and the rest of us watching were stunned.

John seems different since he returned from the East Coast Before no one had more heart. I watched him lose big $ to Morro week after week and he kept coming back. During the afternoons he was playing Jack Cooney to learn 1 Hole. Those lessons, gambling,were not cheap. He was saying that he had a mental thing with Morro and sure enough he got over that mental thing and the tide turned--big time. But the point is is that he never gave up on himself.

Now here we are again and John is deep into the tournament and playing very well and again he erupts. Sad. Yet he stuck around to sweat the rest of the 1 Pocket. I'm at a loss.

Thanks for that, appreciate it.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They moved a couple of tables from the tournament room over there and set up grandstand seating, draped table seating and the streaming booth.

They have a darn good Polish dog there and the Vietnamese restaurant across the street is my favorite. As a side note, the room was busy outside of the tournament. Most tables were full most of the evening hours.

Thanks for the info.

When I go up to California Billiard Club occasionally during the week, usually on a Tuesday or Thursday, the place is at near capacity most of the time. Will have to try the Polish dog one of these days.

See that you drew the Bustamante straw out of the gate. Guess there was no ducking in that field.