is this legal?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy lays bridge across table with cube of chalk under the butt end.
Then uses shaft of bridge to rest his bridge hand on.

Attachments

• 20140830_003146.jpg
    20140830_003146.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,589

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
The bridge is an aid used to help you reach a shot. Bridges on top of bridges is legal, so I don't see this out of the realm of possibilities. The cube of chalk raises ?'s though.

Nice table btw

Ben

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it is not legal to use the chalk or powder can to elevate the hand or shot. Interesting use of the bridge and that would be legal if he did not use the chalk. You can use up to TWO bridges

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy lays bridge across table with cube of chalk under the butt end.
Then uses shaft of bridge to rest his bridge hand on.
not sure if that is legal but i saw Oscar D do it in a big tournament

might fall under use the equipment as it was intended rule

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can someone show where it is not legal? the actual rule.

1.3 Player's Use of equipment

The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play. The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended. (See 6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.)
(a) Cue Stick – The player is permitted to switch between cue sticks during the match, such as break, jump and normal cues. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to increase the length of the stick.
(b) Chalk – The player may apply chalk to his tip to prevent miscues, and may use his own chalk, provided its color is compatible with the cloth.
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.
(d) Gloves – The player may use gloves to improve the grip and/or bridge hand function.
(e) Powder – A player is allowed to use powder in a reasonable amount as determined by the referee.

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The chalk is the only thing which might violate the use of equipment rule. But, another bridge could be laid along the rail to support the bridge which is supporting his bridge hand...
I saw a video of Efren using another cue as a bridge, no bridge attachment on the end, just another cue. Thought that was interesting...

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bridge is an aid used to help you reach a shot. Bridges on top of bridges is legal, so I don't see this out of the realm of possibilities. The cube of chalk raises ?'s though.

Nice table btw

Ben

Table, Brunswick
Model, Montabello
I think,
Dale

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Replace the chalk with another bridge head
and I think it would be legal. IMO.
Joe

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't look to me like the bridge is being used as intended either.

That would be a judgement call on the part of a tournament official. Bridges were never intended to be doubled up either but that practice has been accepted. So, by the same logic, what is shown in the picture should be deemed legal as long as the cube of chalk is replaced with another bridge. If I were the official, that's how I would rule it...

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
miscrewed89...That's not true. The Russo interlocking bridge heads were absolutely designed to be used together. IMO they are the best bridge heads ever invented (they were invented 40 years ago by a good NJ straight pool player). I'll never understand why they didn't really catch on. They sold for $2.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

. Bridges were never intended to be doubled up either but that practice has been accepted.