Consensus "Greatest of All Time" (GOAT) List

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
All around no question to me it's Pagulayan, Reyes, SVB, Varner, and Orcollo. In no particular order.

If we talk 9/10 Ball.
There is a 10-15 player tie right away, since a few filipinos,americans and taiwanese qualify for best ever

Archer, Strickland, Yang, Chang Jung Lin, Ko Pin Yi, Wu Jiaqing, Reyes, Bustamante, Varner, Sigel, Orcollo, Biado, Corteza, Chao, Appleton, Immonen, Souquet, Feijen

I think Reyes was very good under pressure and proven to perform his best when the big money was there.
His mental game very very strong, but weak break.

Reyes was no better than Orcollo, Corteza, Bustamante,Chang, ko Pin Yi, Yang at their best.

The best 9/10Ball player Ive ever seen is Chang Jung Lin hands down, with SVB, Orcollo close behind
I probably should have had Jung Lin on the list.

Concerning the others, place your vote per the instructions in the first post.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure there have also been some strong players who never had the backing, or national exposure to get into this conversation; but they still had the game. They may not have been able to read a book; but they hung around pool halls with gamblers all their life, etc.

At least, I want to believe there was a hustler out there like Fast Eddie; who could have beaten anyone, if given the chance.......
IMO, hustlers and gamblers who don't excel on the world stage by winning major championships haven't earned GOAT list status.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would put Parica on an equal or superior level to Reyes, and any other Filipino. Nobody really wanted to tangle with Parica, and nobody had to like it, or come out on top! I would love to have been able to see Chang Jun-Lin versus Strickland/Siegel/Hall/Reyes/Lassiter in their prime! However, All-Around, I’d have to take Reyes/VarnerHopkins/Parica, since Harold Worst apparently isn’t allowed to be nominated.
If you want your opinion to count, please place your vote per the instructions in the first post.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Appleton 4 - Just because I feel he is underrepresented on the list.
Pagulayan 1 - Because Alex.

Edit: If I had 2 more points to use I'd give them to Thorsten and Earl. Thorsten because I think he's underappreciated, and Earl because, despite his personal issues, the dude can flat out play.
FYI, I added your name and scores to the first post.

Here's the current Top 10 (see the first post for the complete list of players and for voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 136
2 - Earl Strickland - 71
3 - Shane Van Boening - 69
4 - Mike Sigel - 63
5 - Nick Varner - 61
6 - Alex Pagulayan - 54
7 - Johnny Archer - 43
8 - Francisco Bustamante - 42
9 - Buddy Hall - 41
10 - Wu Chia-ching - 40

Thank you for participating,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Alex Pagulayan 3
SVB 2

Here's the current Top 10 (see the first post for the complete list of players and for voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 136
2 - Shane Van Boening - 71
3 - Earl Strickland - 71
4 - Mike Sigel - 63
5 - Nick Varner - 61
6 - Alex Pagulayan - 57
7 - Johnny Archer - 43
9 - Buddy Hall - 41
10 - Wu Chia-ching - 40

Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
My selections for recently known to American GOAT's:

Efren 1
Alex 1
Strickland 1
Buddy 1
Nick 1

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 137
2 - Earl Strickland - 72
3 - Shane Van Boening - 71
4 - Mike Sigel - 63
5 - Nick Varner - 62
6 - Alex Pagulayan - 58
7 - Johnny Archer - 43
9 - Buddy Hall - 42
10 - Wu Chia-ching - 40

Dave

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am loving the way this “Consensus” is coming together. Obviously 2 & 3 are close as well as 3 & 4. When we are given the green light to spread 5 more points amongst 6-10, I expect some unusual moves. June 30th can’t get here quick enough!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am loving the way this “Consensus” is coming together. Obviously 2 & 3 are close as well as 3 & 4. When we are given the green light to spread 5 more points amongst 6-10, I expect some unusual moves. June 30th can’t get here quick enough!

Agreed, and I vote for a ladies version! I would but have too much going on right now!

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Consensus "Greatest of All Time" (GOAT) List

Edit: Sorry, just realized page 1 has a running total.

Dave, can you list the top 15?

Last edited:

ricardo

Registered
Reyes - 5

When people consider him as the GOAT without even factoring his best game - 15 ball rotation, that says it all!

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All around yes I agree Efren probably was

Reyes 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's obvious that Efren is #1, so he doesn't need my vote(s).
Considering all games (1-P, 14.1, 9B, 8B, etc.), Pagulayan probably deserves top billing.
So.....
Pagulayan-5

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree that we don't need to wait until June 30. I will start 2nd-round voting with the Top 10 tomorrow.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren - 2
Earl - 1
Alex - 1
SVB - 1

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 139
2 - Earl Strickland - 73
3 - Shane Van Boening - 72
4 - Mike Sigel - 63
5 - Nick Varner - 62
6 - Alex Pagulayan - 59
7 - Johnny Archer - 43
9 - Buddy Hall - 42
10 - Wu Chia-ching - 40