The Color of Money - What ball set was used - red 5 ball

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

In the Scene were Eddie plays at Chalky's with Vincent at the end of Vincent's run you see a Red 5 ball, I cannot say I have seen a red 5 . Orange , pink even but cannot remember a red 5. Does anyone know what ball set that may have been . Thanks

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

In the Scene were Eddie plays at Chalky's with Vincent at the end of Vincent's run you see a Red 5 ball, I cannot say I have seen a red 5 . Orange , pink even but cannot remember a red 5. Does anyone know what ball set that may have been . Thanks

Cheap film.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s silly. Everyone knows the 5 ball is supposed to be purple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

A real rare set made by ADAM that you'll never find. ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hello ,

1986 film technology...some of the old pool videos, the 5-ball looks like a 3-ball.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

That's a different scene than the one to which he is referring. I looked at the Blu Ray and yes, it's got a lot of Red in it. The issue is it appears they were using location lighting while shooting the larger, wider shots of the pool room. The closer table shots are too dark. The cloth does not look that Green (in the Chalky's scene) when close. You can see a bit of Orange coming through the Red:

Red 5 Ball.jpg

Just before the break, the shot is a bit wider (I have zoomed in here) and the lighting a bit better. You can see the Orange 5 Ball on the far side of the 3rd row.

Rack.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The issue is it appears they were using location lighting while shooting the larger, wider shots of the pool room. The closer table shots are too dark. The cloth does not look that Green (in the Chalky's scene) when close. You can see a bit of Orange coming through the Red: ...
I would guess that when they make a print they can adjust the tint on a per-scene/shot basis. If so, they are probably interested in things other than matching pool ball colors.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a different scene than the one to which he is referring. I looked at the Blu Ray and yes, it's got a lot of Red in it. The issue is it appears they were using location lighting while shooting the larger, wider shots of the pool room. The closer table shots are too dark. The cloth does not look that Green (in the Chalky's scene) when close. You can see a bit of Orange coming through the Red:

View attachment 556657

Just before the break, the shot is a bit wider (I have zoomed in here) and the lighting a bit better. You can see the Orange 5 Ball on the far side of the 3rd row.

View attachment 556658

In that picture there must have been some sort of a filter on the camera. 9 isn't as yellow as it should be. I don't think it's a unique set of balls because the 5 is orange on the previous video.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In that picture there must have been some sort of a filter on the camera. 9 isn't as yellow as it should be. I don't think it's a unique set of balls because the 5 is orange on the previous video.

It's the transfer itself. It's the 25th anniversary Blu Ray and supposedly remastered. My panel (it's not a TV, no tuner, speakers, etc.) is pretty high-end and was calibrated by a nationally known calibrator who brought about $75k worth of equipment to the house to calibrate the TVs.

I watched the scene several times. The wide shots in the poolroom show Green cloth. The close-ups show the cloth much darker with a Blue tint. As Bob suggested in an earlier post, they adjust the tint from scene to scene. I suspect their focus on tint was Paul Newman's blue eyes, given my understanding of the salary he commanded and his popularity as a marquee entertainer. :smile:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m more concerned that hustlers feel the urge to rack the balls in numerical order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro