Jeremy Jones is Team USA Vice-Captain (Mosconi Cup)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great choice. There is no better person with knowledge on the strategy aspect of the game and to be able point out things to tweak for each player, so it should just be up to the team to execute.

I agree he is a fantastic choice. I think Johan has great ideas as captain in terms of team selection, preparation and putting forth team members. I think Jeremy adds a lot to round that out. Great respect in the community. Ties it back to the USA. Adds great moral, mental and technical depth.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess there goes any hopes JJ would be added as a commentator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had some discussions about what a coach would do for some pool players that already know how to play.

"Do what you do, but better" is all I could come up with.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had some discussions about what a coach would do for some pool players that already know how to play.

"Do what you do, but better" is all I could come up with.

There's a lot he can do! He can help them get in the right frame of mind before they play. That's one of those intangibles that sometimes gets lost in the conversation about good pool players. :cool:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One major thing would be facilitating doubles practice, getting communication protocols setup between partners and time management advice for the shot clock. If you and your partner are left and right handed, you want to work that out.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Excellent choice.

Jeremy is very well schooled in the parts of the game in which the US has come up empty year after year after year ---- defense, kicking and the use of two-way shots. Outside of Nick Varner, I wonder if any American player understands the game's percentages as well as Jeremy.

Now, Johann can focus on solidifying the team's shot execution skills while Jeremy can bring their conceptualization skills to a higher level.

That leaves the question: "To what extent will the coaching staff help to prepare Team USA and will Team USA members allow themselves to be guided/schooled in their traditional areas of weakness?"

For Team USA, the door is now wide open for some progress. This opportunity is one that must not be taken lightly.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like it. Only because I think Jeremy needs to be in the booth!!! Or on the table as a player!

Freddie <~~~ okay, that'd be my 4th Choice behind full Team USA Captain

I remember Mark Wilson saying that on paper the captain is allowed to put himself in. Perhaps that can extend to vice-captain. I wouldn’t bet on it but why take away hope. ;)

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Look for Earl to get one of the slots.

I heard Earl commentate once on an Accu Stats match and I was surprised to hear what a great job he did. The only other very good pro player besides Jeremy was Darren Appleton. Very good commentators, all 3 of them.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard Earl commentate once on an Accu Stats match and I was surprised to hear what a great job he did. The only other very good pro player besides Jeremy was Darren Appleton. Very good commentators, all 3 of them.

Also Chris Melling and Mick Hill.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If "vice captain" means assistant captain or co-captain, he's the right man for the job.

If it means captain of vice, then we have far more qualified candidates.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ all the way !!!

Excellent choice.

Jeremy is very well schooled in the parts of the game in which the US has come up empty year after year after year ---- defense, kicking and the use of two-way shots. Outside of Nick Varner, I wonder if any American player understands the game's percentages as well as Jeremy.
Now, Johann can focus on solidifying the team's shot execution skills while Jeremy can bring their conceptualization skills to a higher level.
That leaves the question: "To what extent will the coaching staff help to prepare Team USA and will Team USA members allow themselves to be guided/schooled in their traditional areas of weakness?"
For Team USA, the door is now wide open for some progress. This opportunity is one that must not be taken lightly.
Excellent observation.....excellent!
"Double J" can move these players into a position to burn the euro heroes. If he can't do it, nobody can. He is a powerful mental player and coach.....something the USA has needed.
I'll miss him in the booth, but he's about the best choice, in my opinion, to finally get the USA in the winners' circle.
Get 'em JJ....send 'em home in tears............................................ BEAT!
:thumbup:

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure Jeremy is knowledgeable. However, in the last three years similar groups of U.S. players have received coaching from two of the best pool coaches alive. I am skeptical that adding Jeremy is going to turn this around.

I think the U.S. has to play its best players. According to Fargorate that is:

1) SVB
2) Bergman
3) Dechaine
4) Woodward
5) Deuel

This gives us the best chance to win. However, I don't think those chances are very good.

kollegedave

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure Jeremy is knowledgeable. However, in the last three years similar groups of U.S. players have received coaching from two of the best pool coaches alive. I am skeptical that adding Jeremy is going to turn this around.

I think the U.S. has to play its best players. According to Fargorate that is:

1) SVB
2) Bergman
3) Dechaine
4) Woodward
5) Deuel

This gives us the best chance to win. However, I don't think those chances are very good.

kollegedave

I agree, coaches are eh, outside of trying to get the guys to play together without going off on each other. If Buddy Hall could not help, I don't see anyone helping.