UPS does it......AGAIN

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I never completely fixed, or got reimbursed for, my taper shaper after UPS nearly destroyed it. I decided to send it to Jim and get it set correctly, as it was giving me some troubles(not Jim's fault).

I used 1 1/2 roofing nails, 3 1/4 framing nails, 2x4's, and 1/2 osb.

NOT enough........

Attachments

• IMAG0895[1].jpg
    IMAG0895[1].jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 973
  • IMAG0897[1].jpg
    IMAG0897[1].jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 976

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Why send it back ?
You can do parabolic taper now. :grin:

We had one UPS delivery person fired one time.
He was throwing our computers during delivery.
His argument was Dell has 4-inch foam in their boxes.
Sure, but the cpu inside can get dislodged from the board.

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never again

Simply don't trust UPS with anything.........Ever end of story.........Ray Weeks

cuegrip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could send something through UPS in a ACME safe and it could still be damaged. After the second destroyed cue, the second one with forklift tire marks on the tube, I avoid the men in brown with a vegence

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Nails only with no glue, yes I do think it came apart that easy.

OK....Let's assume that it was poorly put together and that the ONE end that, ignoring the nails, was only put together with spit I am wondering how bad it was dropped to break the motor off it's mount??

The box itself did the job fine. The fact it was dropped hard enough to damage something strapped inside tells the tale...

I'm glad UPS doesn't ship houses, as mine survived the last 60 years and the Northridge quake with just some nails!!!!:angry:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is why they screw boats together and not nail them.. Nails can easily pull out of wood especially when nailed into the edge of plywood. I am not saying UPS isn't full of kaka but screws would have held up much better than nails in that container. Sorry for the nightmare for the OP, hope he does not get the screw that the container should have.. JMO!!!!!!

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
That is why they screw boats together and not nail them.. Nails can easily pull out of wood especially when nailed into the edge of plywood. I am not saying UPS isn't full of kaka but screws would have held up much better than nails in that container. Sorry for the nightmare for the OP, hope he does not get the screw that the container should have.. JMO!!!!!!

Enough with the screws and how you think I should have put it together. The END came off because they dropped it HARD, end of story. The damage inside would have happened with scews, lags, or whatever sort of fastener you wanted to use.

The replies are pretty amusing though seriously. I suppose looking at a picture, not reading the entire thread, not realizing what really happened, then criticizing is to be expected. Hopefully, nothing like this happens to you.

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Forget what you used to secure the box with. Its the fact that UPS dropped it hard enough to break the motor from its mount !!! I wont use them anymore, ever, they "lost" a cue I shipped and had another cracked nearly in half when it arrived at customers house.

@$%#@&$# UPS.... IMO

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enough with the screws and how you think I should have put it together. The END came off because they dropped it HARD, end of story. The damage inside would have happened with scews, lags, or whatever sort of fastener you wanted to use.

The replies are pretty amusing though seriously. I suppose looking at a picture, not reading the entire thread, not realizing what really happened, then criticizing is to be expected. Hopefully, nothing like this happens to you.

Hold on there Pesadoman. I never criticized you or how you put it together. All I said was that screws hold better than nails and I am pretty sure that's true. I also understand that UPS is at fault and never said you were, they dropped the damn thing and they accepted it the way it was put together. Have a happy happy Day!

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Hold on there Pesadoman. I never criticized you or how you put it together. All I said was that screws hold better than nails and I am pretty sure that's true. I also understand that UPS is at fault and never said you were, they dropped the damn thing and they accepted it the way it was put together. Have a happy happy Day!

Yes, you are correct. If I built the thing with screws it would have been stronger... The ends really didn't matter much and I'm really not sure how it came apart really. I can see some damage on one corner, but the rest of the crate looks absolutely sound.

This is the same TS that was sent and packaged to me BY UPS in a cardboard box, nearly destroying it once already. I decided to finally send it all back to Unique and get it right. I initially just sent(USPS) the part that was causing trouble(router mount cross slide), but Jim suggested I send the rest. The troubled parts, shipped by USPS, arrived without further damage....UPS took care of the rest.

pop-ralph

Registered
Ups

Here at my day job we used to get equiptment glass shipped in by UPS. No matter how good the packaging it was always cracked! Our supplier now ships Truck freight, same packaging only now on a pallet. I have not received any damaged since. You would think truck freight wood be more reckless but not the case.:D