What cues did the HOF'ers use?

L.S. Dennis

UPDATED 4

There have been many threads with the cues players use today. What about the older greats? What cue did they use? I read about these old greats and rarely does it mention the cue that they played/are playing with. I really would like to know. I assume they all didn’t use a Brunswick cue even though they have produced some of the greatest cuemakers ever. Please help fill in the blanks. I will update as necessary. Thanks, Jay. PS…I’m sure I forgot some of the greats. If you know what cue they used please add their name to the list. Thanks.

Ralph Greenleaf - Brunswick, Ralph Greenleaf model

Willie Hoppe – I believe used a Herman Rambo as part of Rambo’s cues had what is known as the Hoppe ring.

Charlie Peterson - ?

Welker Cochran - Harvey Martin cue

Alfred DeOro - Rambo?

Willie Mosconi – Used a Rambo to set his 526 ball record – Also used a Balabushka with a Burton Spain forearm - Helmstetter

Jake Schaffer, Sr - Herman Rambo

Jake Schaffer, Jr - Rambo?

Harold Worst - ?

Frank Taberski - ?

Johnny Layton - ?

Cicero Murphy - Balabushka

Jimmy Caras – I assumed he used a Brunswick since he worked for them. Exactly what kind??? Rambo early and many others during career, he is also known to have use an Adams cue made by Richard Helmstetter.

Irving Crane - Balabushka and Rambo.

Steve Mizerak - Balabushka, Boti, Tascarella, Richard Black, later 90's, Mizerak used a Dennis Searing cue.

Dorothy Wise - ?

Joe Balsis - Frank Paradise and Balabushka

Rudolph “Minnesota Fats” Wanderone - Rambo?

Jean Balukas - Balabushka and Richard Black?

Lou Butera - Bert Schrager

Erwin Rudolph - ?

Andrew Ponzi - ?

Mike Sigel – World 14.1 championships 1979 – 1981, probably used a Joss. 1985 14.1 and his World 9 ball in 1985? (assume those were Meucci wins in ’85)

Nick Varner – What cue was he using in his 1980 World 14.1 championship? A Joss by Danny Janes until 1996.. Was the same cue used in his 1986 World 14.1 Championship and great 1986 winning spree? He contracted with Meucci from96 to 99. He changed to a McDaniel and proceeded to win a World open 9 ball, a Mizerack senior tour tournament, a world championship one-pocket and a Derby City one-pocket championship. He then became sponsored by Falcon. Presently, he uses his own brand cue at.

Ray Martin – Did he use the same cue for all his World 14.1 titles, ’71, ’74 and ’78? Gus Szamboti cues. I believe he won his first world title with a Balabushka and the next 2 with his Szamboti. He his now using a
60" Philippine cue.

Cecil P. “Buddy” Hall – How many different cues did he use to win? Meucci, Huebler and Bludworth

Mike Massey - McDermott and Meucci and Scruggs

Alan Hopkins - Balabushka, Boti, Frank Coster during his heyday and Lambros

U.J. Puckett - Tad

Luther Lassiter - Gina

Many pros had many cues given to them, or they tried different cues through out their careers. We have had Palmers that were Balsis, a Gina cue for Lassiter and one for Minnesota Fats...
Dorothy Wise used a Willie Hoppe cue (at least in the early days) that had an inch and a half white ferrule. Vey unusual never seen another one like it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the later 90's, Mizerak used a Dennis Searing cue. He also (beside Balabushka) used Richard Black cues prior to that.

Ray Martin used Gus Szamboti cues. I believe he won his first world title with a Balabushka and the next 2 with his Szamboti. He his now using a
60" Philippine cue.
I own Rays Gus. It’s probably the best hitting Gus ever. Has a special wrap, some sort of black nylon that’s not the cheap shiny stuff. It feels like cortland but is solid black. Barry has a HUGE spool of it-was only used on Rays cue. There are 4 ❤️‘S carved from ivory in windows in the butt sleeve. Gus might have been hitting the single malt that night as all 4 are slightly different(Barry and I came to that conclusion) it’s a very special cue. It would actually play great on todays modern equipment-delicate hit, especially for a Gus.

I spoke to Ray about it when I purchased it in 2008 I’d guess maybe 07. Not sure. But it’s warm and safe in a climate controlled vault in a secret location. It’s a honor to own that cue.

I have probably 5-6 pro owned cues. I’ll save those stories for another time.

best
Fatboy

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own Rays Gus. It’s probably the best hitting Gus ever. Has a special wrap, some sort of black nylon that’s not the cheap shiny stuff. It feels like cortland but is solid black. Barry has a HUGE spool of it-was only used on Rays cue. There are 4 ❤️‘S carved from ivory in windows in the butt sleeve. Gus might have been hitting the single malt that night as all 4 are slightly different(Barry and I came to that conclusion) it’s a very special cue. It would actually play great on todays modern equipment-delicate hit, especially for a Gus.

I spoke to Ray about it when I purchased it in 2008 I’d guess maybe 07. Not sure. But it’s warm and safe in a climate controlled vault in a secret location. It’s a honor to own that cue.

best
Fatboy

Lassiter used a Meucci at one time when he just turned 60.

I wonder where that cue is.

I only have one pro-owned cue and he isn’t in the hall of fame, but beat many who are now in the HOF.

It is not as fancy or expensive as a lot of cues, but it was only used in one tournament and CJ won the tournament with it. He managed to slay Earl Strickland in the finals.

D6AAD8D1-78E7-491E-998B-615698172AF4.jpeg

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Lassiter's most famous cue was a Tad. A lot thought it was a Bushka, but no, a Tad.

I think many cuemakers built a cue for Luther, including Joss. But the Tad is the one in most pictures with him.

All the best,
WW

Reactions: bbb

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best
Fatboy
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the cue Efren used for a while when he first arrived in the U. S.

outrider1

Registered
Mike Massey used a Meucci at one time and McDermott...probably a few others.

I remember Allen Hopkins used to use a Lambros, but I know he has used a few others too.
I remember Alan sold my cousin AC a Balabuska I think around 1990. It was a plain model.

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member

outrider1

Registered
Lassiter used a Meucci at one time when he just turned 60.

I wonder where that cue is.

I only have one pro-owned cue and he isn’t in the hall of fame, but beat many who are now in the HOF.

It is not as fancy or expensive as a lot of cues, but it was only used in one tournament and CJ won the tournament with it. He managed to slay Earl Strickland in the finals.

View attachment 612872
Bob M made custom Meuccis for some of those guys and presented them in '77. Wimpy won the tournament then in Norfork Va with his,I saw it about 10 years ago. Wimpy didn't keep it long,selling it in '77 to a man for $500. He owned a chain of putt putt course, that's way back I'd say!