Question for APA players

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
You should learn how to improve your mental game.

Also, if your co-captain is a much better player than you, then yo should welcome the advice. It is a team competition. On my team, I am the co captain. I am much much better than everyone on my team. 90% of the time a time out is called, it is called by the player and I come over. For playoffs or big matches I may step in more frequently. However, the players on my team have learned 2 things: first, I typically give them good advice and get them out of jams pretty consistently, I explain things according to each players ability and communication style, so they trust me. Second, I can play well, and they see over and over that I know what I'm doing. Most people join a team I'm on to some extent because they want to learn to play better.

So my advice is to come to terms with the concept that you are playing for the team, and as such you may have to incorporate some team specific things into your mindset, such as accepting coaching. Is the coach a much better player? Are they able to communicate the information about their suggestion to you clearly so that you understand? If both of those are "yes", then its on you to learn how to be a coachable teammate.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your skill level?

Thanks hope it helps,

KMRUNOUT

I am an SL6.

CGM

Silver Member
I guess my problem is more with the quality and timing of his timeouts than anything else. So many times he tells me to do the wrong thing, like shoot a shot this way which will clearly take my tangent line across the next shot instead of rolling into it, or play the pattern this or that way which ends up getting me tough on the 8 or 9. If its good advice, by all means, I am willing to learn, but dont break my stride just to get me stuck.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It's dreadfully painful to watch a lower level player with "a plan" execute it only to fail exactly where you could see they would ahead of time. And they always look befuddled when they get to that sticking point you could spot coming a mile away. But try telling them ahead of time and it's to no avail. Best to just let them succeed or fail on their own unless they ask.

JC

I couldn't agree more. Something lower level shooters don't always understand is that there is the easy shot and the correct shot. I don't shoot APA but in mixed scotch doubles the first thing I always ask my partner is what do you want to do, if I have a different suggestion I will ask if they are comfortable with the shot I suggest, if not we will figure something else out. Too many times a low level player will take the wrong ball off or break out a problem ball for their opponent.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started APA, time outs did threw me off a little sometimes. I learned to reset and take my time after a time out and now I am good.

Never blame your misses on someone calling you a time out, LEARN from your mistakes and learn to reset and re focus on the game... in the end you only have yourself to blame.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess my problem is more with the quality and timing of his timeouts than anything else. So many times he tells me to do the wrong thing, like shoot a shot this way which will clearly take my tangent line across the next shot instead of rolling into it, or play the pattern this or that way which ends up getting me tough on the 8 or 9. If its good advice, by all means, I am willing to learn, but dont break my stride just to get me stuck.

This is much easier to understand. I see lots of 7's that really have no idea how to play 8 ball, and rather limited understanding of the cueball. I listen to their time outs and feel bad for the player getting coached. So I hear you loud and clear here.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am an SL6.

I am surprised to hear youre a 6 and worried about breaking rhythm etc.

I can however understand someone calling a timeout and giving bad advice and you know it is bad advice. What rank is the person calling the timeouts?

I have called timeouts with my better players simply to discuss a pattern or shot selection on a tricky runout, but always make sure they know they can do what they are comfortable with. They are just my opinions.

I did have one 6 on my team who was against timeouts and against safety play. He was a naturally good shot but almost always got himself off position and it resulted in him winning or losing based on some low percentage hero shot. Either he would sell out or win spectacularly. It was frustrating because if he just worked on his strategic game and defensive play he would have been truly an exceptional player.

I would just listen and tell them your plan and say you'd prefer to do it a different way...

Last edited:

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Move to BCA, ACS, USAPL, VNEA, NAPA, on and on.......and you'll never have to worry about someone calling a timeout again.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Move to BCA, ACS, USAPL, VNEA, NAPA, on and on.......and you'll never have to worry about someone calling a timeout again.

I dont know about acs or vnea but time outs are called in bcapl and usapl. Dont know why people keep saying bca when its really bcapl.

CGM

Silver Member
I guess I came across as an arrogant uncoachable teammate, which I am not. I have never given a coach attitude when they call a timeout, and I usually do what they tell me to. It just frustrates me internally when I know what they just told me is wrong or a 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other situation.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I came across as an arrogant uncoachable teammate, which I am not. I have never given a coach attitude when they call a timeout, and I usually do what they tell me to. It just frustrates me internally when I know what they just told me is wrong or a 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other situation.

Line of the shot is only a guidance. Sometimes the shot to have the cue ball come into the line of the shot is harder than just letting the cue ball roll across the line. Doesn’t matter what the line of the shot is, it still has a favorable side and a not favorable side to be on. Different tables require different routes. Also now that this thread has ran its course, you’re very arrogant for a 6. You never offered to counter his coaching with learned knowledge. You bottled it up and brought your problem here to vent.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Good thread (only read page 1 so far - will get to the rest later), but ...
The very first time someone called a "time out" on me I admit that I was a bit confused - but he came up, we talked about the shot (not sure, but IIRC - I did try it his way). Anyway - after my match, I asked what that was all about - and he explained it all to me.
Ever since then - doesn't bother me in the least. If someone sees something I'm missing - PLEASE tell me. Truth be told - I've told our top 3 or 4 players to ALWAYS feel free to stop me for a little time out discussion if they think they might be able to help. (I even call one once in a blue moon all by my little old self). I enjoy not just "shooting" pool - but talking over various options as well. I might be over 60 and shooting since I was a teen - but I still love to learn.
carry on....

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Last night, my SL3 was in a spot. About to try and shoot to hit her one remaining ball on the table (playing 8-ball) which was nearly tied up with the 8, blocking one corner pocket. Her opponent had one remaining ball left, in the opposite corner. Her opponent had no time outs left.

I stopped my player, and had her give her opponent ball in hand. Her opponent made the ball ball in the corner, left herself no shape, tried to make the 8 and scratched.

My player didn't complain.

CGM

Silver Member
Line of the shot is only a guidance. Sometimes the shot to have the cue ball come into the line of the shot is harder than just letting the cue ball roll across the line. Doesn’t matter what the line of the shot is, it still has a favorable side and a not favorable side to be on. Different tables require different routes. Also now that this thread has ran its course, you’re very arrogant for a 6. You never offered to counter his coaching with learned knowledge. You bottled it up and brought your problem here to vent.

Lol, you dont know me at all my friend. I was just looking for opinions. I never claimed to know much about the game, and I do counter his suggestions with my thoughts.