Opinions on 9-Ball Tourney Hill/Hill Controversy

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Bank shots, kick shots, carom shots, billiard shots, are not obvious and must be called, period. Being obvious to the shooter does not qualify as being obvious to the opponent of these 4 types of shots. Other shots are obvious and need not be called.

That assumes the shooting player is honest. Without a referee, the shot still goes to the shooter regardless if they call the pocket or not. In this case, the shooter admitted they didn't call the pocket. B wins period! Just ask Shane.

Lyn

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Rules are strict call pocket on the 9-ball except when it is absolutely obvious - such as a bank, carom, or sharp cut, which are not obvious. Player A failed to call his pocket, but made the bank shot in the side...Opinions regarding the correct call in this situation?

If the rules are as you have stated them--that a bank shot is not obvious and so must be called--then there is no room for opinion, since Player A did not call the bank.

OTOH, I think it can be obvious when a player is shooting a bank, which was probably the case here given your description of the situation. If the rules allow that it can be obvious when a player is shooting a bank, then Player A wins.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
Seems like the rule is no slop shots on the 9. Unless everyone calls every 9 ball shot, even those sitting in the pocket. Seems everyone agrees he made the intended shot. I wouldn't want to win or loose because of that.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rules do not say that the rule does not apply to "A" players. The rules apply to all players!

Yes, the rules apply to all players. I don’t understand the relevance of your first sentence.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What precedent has been set in your tournaments when you use the call-the-9 rule? Is it sometimes not enforced on questionably "obvious" shots?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like the rule is no slop shots on the 9. Unless everyone calls every 9 ball shot, even those sitting in the pocket. Seems everyone agrees he made the intended shot. I wouldn't want to win or loose because of that.
As I would expect, opinions run the gamut on this one, but what is the correct call for the TD to make in this situation? I would think it's pretty cut and dry since the pocket was not called, unless player B chooses to concede the match to player A.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
As I would expect, opinions run the gamut on this one, but what is the correct call for the TD to make in this situation? I would think it's pretty cut and dry since the pocket was not called, unless player B chooses to concede the match to player A.

You did what you had to do, Chris.
Player A obviously made the nine in the intended pocket.
...but player B chose to be a jailhouse lawyer about it....so he wins.

I’m interested on how would would feel about running a tournament with NO call shots.
...I found that catering to your customers that whine a lot isn’t all that wise.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two words: pocket marker
That's the solution, right there.:thumbup:
Back in the stone ages of the old Busch Leagues, that was a requirement....you had to place some kind of marker at the intended pocket. I still do it, even today, to head off any of that arguing or hassling..
That's of course playing common sense "call the pocket" (like in straight pool)...now if someone is dumb enough to play in one of those bar rule "call your shot" things where kisses don't count, you must pocket the ball 'clean' (whatever that means), then they're just fools and deserve the punishment.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
A $500 bank shot and you don't call it? Sorry, not buying that one. I call every bank in league play, let alone a tourney. Sounds like Payer A fugged up. Let him be steamed, who cares, he learned a valuable lesson. I bet he never banks again and does not call it ;)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get it though. I play bank pool as well as 8/9. I can see how a lot of bank shots are very obvious in my mind. Get in a rhythm and it’d be very easy to forget to call it, especially in 9-ball that is usually not call. I’ll accept the loss if that happened to me but that’s not how I’d want to win my money. I used to be rule nitpicky but learned to lighten up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a situation once there was a straight in shot off the rail a half diamond but the pocket was blocked so I cut it thin straight into the other corner in a tourney. My opponent was a total DICK and basically said I cheated but realistically if I shoot a ball STRAIGHT into any pocket what are the actual odds that I was aiming for another pocket? 1000/1? 10,000/1 100,000/1??? I would have to not only miscue but badly enough to miss the ball by several diamonds for that to happen which would take MILLIONS of shots and is absolutely absurd.

Now for a bank shot it would depend on the angle because it's not uncommon for a 1 railer to go 2 into the opposite pocket. For most banks you'd really need to call the specific pocket because even if it's a simple bank unless the angle is very acute there's the potential for a 2 railer.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You gave the answer yourself - "Strict call pocket on the nine ball and that includes bank shots." Sounds like the player just forgot to call the shot and was trying to cover up for his error by being outraged.

Unfortunately, "anger is nothing more than fear disguised." --Unknown

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's call shot unless it's obvious and banks are, by definition, never obvious, this isn't even a close question. Shooter knew the rules going in.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

That would be hard for a referee Chris, since you have set up a rule that has some loose ends to it. Who's to say what's an obvious shot and what's not? Is it one diamond from the pocket or two that makes the shot obvious? What about a simple combination only inches from the pocket? Do you need to call that 'obvious' shot or not? I think you should play Call Pocket on the nine ball or No Call Shot. Having it both ways only asks for trouble, like you had last night.

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My most recent epic fail

So I was shooting 8-ball the other night. I managed to: 1) get a bad hit; 2) put the 8 in the wrong pocket; and 3) scratch, all on the same shot. In this Triple Crown season I was told this was a trifecta. Anyone got a better one-shot failure?

Sorry, wrong thread. No idea how it happened. Kinda like my shot. If anybody knows how to move it (I don't), feel free.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was shooting 8-ball the other night. I managed to: 1) get a bad hit; 2) put the 8 in the wrong pocket; and 3) scratch, all on the same shot. In this Triple Crown season I was told this was a trifecta. Anyone got a better one-shot failure?

Sorry, wrong thread. No idea how it happened. Kinda like my shot.

I had kinda the opposite happen to me a couple years ago. My opponent was going for a power draw shot, miscued, cueball jumped in the air, dropped straight in a pocket, bounced back out onto the table, hit his legal object ball, then rolled to contact a rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What precedent has been set in your tournaments when you use the call-the-9 rule? Is it sometimes not enforced on questionably "obvious" shots?
For our tournament rules historically, which requires calling the 9-ball, under no circumstances should a bank be considered an "obvious shot" even if it is a straight in side pocket bank and it is an "A" player shooting it.

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be hard for a referee Chris, since you have set up a rule that has some loose ends to it. Who's to say what's an obvious shot and what's not? Is it one diamond from the pocket or two that makes the shot obvious? What about a simple combination only inches from the pocket? Do you need to call that 'obvious' shot or not? I think you should play Call Pocket on the nine ball or No Call Shot. Having it both ways only asks for trouble, like you had last night.

^^^This. You don’t have strict rules at all once you allow for ‘obvious’ shots to not be called. WAY too relative. Either mark the 9 ball pocket every time or allow it to be slopped in. IMO you were asking for trouble and you got it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^This. You don’t have strict rules at all once you allow for ‘obvious’ shots to not be called. WAY too relative. Either mark the 9 ball pocket every time or allow it to be slopped in. IMO you were asking for trouble and you got it.
You would think among fellow "regular" tournament players, there would be some degree of trust and respect, that obvious 9-ball shots need not be called, just as is common respect shown among straight pool players not to call very obvious shots. If there is any question at all as to whether a ball (9-ball) could be played in more than one possible pocket, that pocket without question needs to be called, every time. Any player with any level of common sense knows that is the rule.