Opinions on 9-Ball Tourney Hill/Hill Controversy

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That scenario you described where the ball can be cut in either pocket would certainly require the player to call their pocket. Same for any bank shot even if it's a dead in bank. Just for clarification and certainly in a hill/hill game situation, the pocket should always be called, even if it's just a gesture with the tip of your cue stick to the intended pocket - common sense!

I disagree on your definitions of “obvious” and “common sense”. Perhaps your strict interpretations of very debatable terms is why you seem to always come on here with controversial scenarios.

Edited to add: my scenario didn’t include a sharp cut, bank, or carom. Do you understand yet that the rule is silly and prone to arguments?

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree on your definitions of “obvious” and “common sense”. Perhaps your strict interpretations of very debatable terms is why you seem to always come on here with controversial scenarios.

Edited to add: my scenario didn’t include a sharp cut, bank, or carom. Do you understand yet that the rule is silly and prone to arguments?
Yes, I understand and thanks to you and others on here for contributing to this thread. To make my life easier as a TD, effective immediately, we're changing our weekly handicapped 9-ball tournament rules back to original texas express 9-ball rules, nothing needs to be called. My only changes - Winner breaks and racks their own balls and 9-ball on the break gets spotted.

Occasionally we may hold non-handicapped tournaments for the higher skilled players, in which case it would be strict by-the-book call shot, call pocket, call safety 10-ball rules.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the 9 is intended to be called pocket, allowing exceptions is just asking for this kind of issue. I wasn't there but my sense is that the shooter made it in the pocket he was going for and the opponent was taking advantage.

Again though..make it a mandatory call. How many times has a side pocket bank been missed only to come off the rail and land in the opposite side pocket? You may feel stupid calling a tap in 9 shot but it's hardly a burden to point your cue as you take your stance to pop that last ball in.

In that situation, it would clearly not be a "obvious shot' since no one would double bank a ball outside of very rare cases. If you don't say anything and do a one rail bank when the ball touching nothing and is not near any other ball, it's pretty clear to anyone higher than a C- that is what you meant to do. If you kick at a ball near a pocket, and the ball goes in, it's clear that was the intended pocket, unless there were other balls near it.

On the other hand, if this was a serious event, and I was playing someone I was not friends with, I would only feel a little bit bad if I called the person on the rule if they did not call the pocket. The person knew the rules, did not follow them, the opponent is not responsible for the other player not following the rules.

I see the same situation often in calling someone on two fouls. Many people do it at the wrong time then get all pissy when it's pointed out to them that the third foul was not a third foul because they did not follow the rules.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I understand and thanks to you and others on here for contributing to this thread. To make my life easier as a TD, effective immediately, we're changing our weekly handicapped 9-ball tournament rules back to original texas express 9-ball rules, nothing needs to be called. My only changes - Winner breaks and racks their own balls and 9-ball on the break gets spotted.

Occasionally we may hold non-handicapped tournaments for the higher skilled players, in which case it would be strict by-the-book call shot, call pocket, call safety 10-ball rules.

That would be my favorite tournament format.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
In that situation, it would clearly not be a "obvious shot' since no one would double bank a ball outside of very rare cases. If you don't say anything and do a one rail bank when the ball touching nothing and is not near any other ball, it's pretty clear to anyone higher than a C- that is what you meant to do. If you kick at a ball near a pocket, and the ball goes in, it's clear that was the intended pocket, unless there were other balls near it.

On the other hand, if this was a serious event, and I was playing someone I was not friends with, I would only feel a little bit bad if I called the person on the rule if they did not call the pocket. The person knew the rules, did not follow them, the opponent is not responsible for the other player not following the rules.

I see the same situation often in calling someone on two fouls. Many people do it at the wrong time then get all pissy when it's pointed out to them that the third foul was not a third foul because they did not follow the rules.
So you are banking it to the pocket you are standing 6 inches from. Using your bridge hand, touch the pocket and say "right here chief".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk