How would you handle this situation..

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
get a lawyer, shouldnt be hard every pool room or poker club has one regular thats an attorney. Nothing will come of this but tell your buddy not to be an idiot and get a lawyer. you will be made to sign an affidavit of what you saw, and additionally what you saw the bartender NOT see. It gets filed w/ a motion to dismiss and then bingo!

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
So you saw the whole incident and they are still gonna sue for damages??
Sounds like you dont have a good reputation for telling the truth...
Good Luck...

millcityfats

Hit high & draw it back
So you saw the whole incident and they are still gonna sue for damages??
Sounds like you dont have a good reputation for telling the truth...
Good Luck...
Sounds like I don't have a good reputation for telling the truth? How do you gather that. I gave the Police what I seen in full detail. The bartender & the owner are both claiming that my buddy is the one who smashed the cue on the table even tho NEITHER were present. Too me it looks like the owner of the bar is on something, or knew the guy and is saving his ass.

The table was an older Valley White Side.. model I don't know. The owner is claiming that the entire rail & trim needs to be replaced. The cloth needs to be redone as well since he claims that cushion having to be recovered due to repairs make the entire table play different so it all has to match. I mean it's like he's just walking around table and adding on shit just to repair any previous table damage as well.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Something smells like fish buddy. I don't think they have a leg to stand on considering you were the one witness and you told the story to the police.
That wasn't your buddies cue that got smashed.
Too many things don't add up here.

Either way, it would be the last time I played at that hall and I would be on a safari to find the cue smasher at a later date.

Jeff G. Martin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a couple things...

There are absolutely NO witnesses....an empty bar? If I'm looking for some action, the last thing I would do is walk into a dead joint.

Who smashes a $3,000 cue and THEN runs out of the bar? Why wouldn't he just take it with him?

If the bartender didn't see anything, how did he know to call the police?

How much damage could a pool stick possibly do to a pool table? I've seen one broke over a rail, and it didn't absolutely nothing. A very minimal small claim perhaps...but a lawsuit?

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like I don't have a good reputation for telling the truth? How do you gather that. I gave the Police what I seen in full detail. The bartender & the owner are both claiming that my buddy is the one who smashed the cue on the table even tho NEITHER were present. Too me it looks like the owner of the bar is on something, or knew the guy and is saving his ass.

The table was an older Valley White Side.. model I don't know. The owner is claiming that the entire rail & trim needs to be replaced. The cloth needs to be redone as well since he claims that cushion having to be recovered due to repairs make the entire table play different so it all has to match. I mean it's like he's just walking around table and adding on shit just to repair any previous table damage as well.
I wouldn't sweat it too much..Sounds like they just trying to get the money from the only one they know who it is....I had a bartender one time try & sue me one time cuz this biker called me outside..I go outside & handle up on him...tried to leave before the cops came..well...didnt make it...got a disturbing the peace charge for fighting...but this bartenter starts going off saying we gonna pay for her dent in her car we left while fighting...I went look & told her she was out her mind cuz we fought on the other side her car & was never on that side.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
If you still have the cue in your possession, send a pic to Sheldon.
If this guy is by chance, the first owner, or even not, Sheldon could give you some info on it. If you can track down the first owner, maybe you can find out who the subsequent owners are.
Might be worth a try if you guys end up getting a bum rap for this, and even then, might be nice to find this guy. He owes you something for the last game.

The Dster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fishy

After losing 1500. dollars on sets, who puts up a three grand stick for two hundred? I'm playing in the wrong places... The Dster.

millcityfats

Hit high & draw it back
Just a couple things...

There are absolutely NO witnesses....an empty bar? If I'm looking for some action, the last thing I would do is walk into a dead joint.

Who smashes a $3,000 cue and THEN runs out of the bar? Why wouldn't he just take it with him?

If the bartender didn't see anything, how did he know to call the police?

How much damage could a pool stick possibly do to a pool table? I've seen one broke over a rail, and it didn't absolutely nothing. A very minimal small claim perhaps...but a lawsuit?
I think the guy knew if he had backed out on the bet and taken the stick, things would have been much different, as in someone would have gotten hurt because he wasn't leaving without paying up. He knew he lost it, but didn't want my friend to have the satisfaction of the cue. BY doing what he did and pretty much just dropping jaws.. the last thing that went through my mind personally was him.. the first thing was holy shit.. he just wrecked a high dollar cue. The bar wasn't empty, that's the thing. Majority of people were back on the poker machines or clear on the other side of the bar. The whole thing is just sketchy. The bartender made her way to our side of the bar shortly after the huge crack the cue made and asked what the hell is going on here... but in her statement to Police she claims she WATCHED my buddy physically swing the cue at the table.
After losing 1500. dollars on sets, who puts up a three grand stick for two hundred? I'm playing in the wrong places... The Dster.
Desperation. I've seen it many times in sets. Someone looses a bank roll, puts up cues etc.. just at a chance to take SOMETHING back with them, I guess so they don't feel like it's a total loss.

millcityfats

Hit high & draw it back
It has crossed my mind a few times. The whole situation just stinks. I'm going to let this thread go for the time being until I get some updates or it's all settled. I'll keep everyone posted with new info as it comes.

millcityfats

Hit high & draw it back
A quick new and ironic development in this whole situation..

Oregon Lottery is now investigating the bar and possibly taking away their Lottery License due to the fact gambling was/is being done on games there. I guess according to the contract you have to sign states that you cannot have/allow cash gambling or cash prizes on anything that is considered a "game".. which includes pool, poker etc.. as long as you have their machines on your location. The only way to beat that is a county ordinance stating that you CAN gamble on games. Which as far as we know the county that the bar resides in has NO ordinance allowing or disallowing gambling on games. So therefore the contract from Oregon Lottery stands strong.

Another funny thing is a buddy of mine has told me the bar has placed signs around the tables stating "NO GAMBLING ON GAMES. If you are caught gambling you will be asked to leave and will be permanently 86'ed from the premises"

RyanTheImpaler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahaha

Looks as though that situation will cost more to the owner than repairing
the table. If this is a case study, look up the lawyer shown below. He is a
scumbag but that makes for the best lawyer you could have. :thumbup:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 245

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
JMHO here but if your the bar owner with little to no honor...

Someone smashes your equipment then bolts. Do you say, oh well, gotta eat this, OR do you attempt to blame the guy standing there.

The bar owner is probably just trying to go after what he considered the easy fix.

I am not saying this is the right thing to do, but just what it seemed like here.

Carl

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The story pretty much comes down to my buddy playing a gentleman for $500 in races to 5 8-ball. The guy eventually runs out of money ($1,500 later)... offers up his Sheldon Lebow cue to my buddies $200... he agrees. My buddy takes him 5-3 in the last set... The gentleman calmly breaks down his cue... then does something NO ONE expected... proceeded to swing the butt of the cue as hard as he could onto the rail of the table.. then bolts from the bar.. leaving the cue pretty much toast, and the rail of the table. The bartender immediately calls the police, they come and the bartender (who seen nothing) proceeds to tell the Police my buddy was mad that he lost and slammed his cue into the table damaging it.. now the bar owner is suing him for the damages to the table.

So does your buddy have any one who will tell his story under oath in COURT?

tipman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any of the words

You don't bother to read all the words in a thread do you CC.

cc also wants to know if anybuddy (lots of buddies in this caper) happened to notice who made the cue? and is the bartender a bald blind guy with a beard?"

was the cue 70 inches long? did he smashed his earphones too?

was the table a 5 by 10

does your 1st buddy hear ok?