McDermott Joint

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
This is a newer model with the stainless/quick release joint. The joint collar is slightly lose and while holding butt, grasping the joint with one hand and rotating the Butt with other, the collar area will click and slightly move just a tiny bit. Also will do the same of course when threading the shaft on tight. Does anyone know if collar/joint is threaded on and Glued? Just glued and pressed? Wondering if maybe pin area can be heated up to soften or melt the adhesive and remove the collar and re-glue? If not I guess cue can be sent into them under warranty. A league player wanted me to repair instead of sending it in to them.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This is a newer model with the stainless/quick release joint. The joint collar is slightly lose and while holding butt, grasping the joint with one hand and rotating the Butt with other, the collar area will click and slightly move just a tiny bit. Also will do the same of course when threading the shaft on tight. Does anyone know if collar/joint is threaded on and Glued? Just glued and pressed? Wondering if maybe pin area can be heated up to soften or melt the adhesive and remove the collar and re-glue? If not I guess cue can be sent into them under warranty. A league player wanted me to repair instead of sending it in to them.

Do not heat the pin to heat the wood to heat to glue to remove the collar that would be a horrible idea if it gets that hot the finish will probably become damaged as well. Not to mentioning ruining the seat and adhesive used on the pin.

A cold freeze spray may give you enough play to work the joint off.

Honestly you don’t sound knowledgeable enough to be risking damage to the players equipment, if anything goes wrong your going to be held responsible.

McDermott has a warranty......the owner of the cue is only looking to select quick convenience over the proper resolution which is to send the cue back to the manufacturer......again when so,etching goes wrong on your end.....it won’t be warranted any longer.

He may get pissy even call you names try to goad you into doing it.......just think what would happen when it doesn’t turn out perfect.....he will lay blam smack at your feet and you’d have given him all the power to do so.

Just smart business and proper cueman ethics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have fixed quite a few of them, but they were not under warrantee. If McDermott will fix it for free....that is definitely the way to go. As Greyghost wrote...you will get blamed for anything going south, and it can very fast.
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The screw and the joint are one piece. The joint is threaded. Please send it to McDermott.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have fixed quite a few of them, but they were not under warrantee. If McDermott will fix it for free....that is definitely the way to go. As Greyghost wrote...you will get blamed for anything going south, and it can very fast.
Dave

You did notice that the joint and screw was one piece and threaded. Correct?

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I had a Mcdermott with the same issue. Sent it in and they fixed it for free. The only problem was they left the new collar a little over sized so it wasn't flush with the finish. I'm guessing they didn't want to refinish it.

Rodney

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
You did notice that the joint and screw was one piece and threaded. Correct?

Actually Mike, I missed that in the first read. Good catch, as all the ones I've done are not an all in one. That is definitely a send-in repair
Dave