Has your local pool hall (here in the US) opened back up yet?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If, like if I knew I could have bought Apple cheap, and today been a Billionaire. People play with if all the time, and don't do noting with life.

I live near a USAF Base, they train rookie pilots, should I worry one will crash on my home, No.
I assume you mean Luke AFB. If so by the time pilots get there they are FAR from rookies. At Luke they transition into higher performance planes(F-16 now F-35's) but they are fully capable jet jocks. Trying to compare a contagious virus to a jet hitting your house is ludicrous.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in a small tourist area and when all of this went down, out County officials instructed law enforcement to cut off the bridges leading unto the island only allowing full time residents with a local address to access the island.

As you can imagine, this has enraged the homeowners who have homes here but live in other states. They have been turned around at the bridge since day 1.

A couple of weeks ago, a group of NRPOs (Non resident property owners) filed a lawsuit in Federal court asserting that their constitutional rights are being violated.

Our County has had 15 cases and 1 death associated with Covid-19, no active cases and no new cases in almost 2 weeks.

The County is coming out with an announcement with a couple of hours EST, announcing when they are going to start the process of allowing NRPOs back on the island. We already can't find any toilet paper, lysol, hand sanitizer, paper towels, masks. It's hit or miss if there is any meat selection and now they are going to allow 35k-45k people from all over the County onto this island where we have a 20 bed hospital and 1 ventilator.

With all that said, our restaurants are open for take out only. You are supposed to call ahead and then pick up your order. I always seem to forget that part and show up to my pool place and order then. I usually have a couple beers while I'm waiting. This place has 2 bars in it so he allows 1 person on each side. He is a friend so I'm trying to get some type of lunch or diner 3 or 4 days a 3 week.

Someone (maybe cocolobo) mentioned in an earlier post that owners needed to come up with new ideas when opening back up....Several restaurants have done that around here offering dinners for 4 for $40. OR, 20 wings and a bucket of beer for $20 and it's working.

Crazy times

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No word from our local room owner but I don't see them opening anytime soon and if you guys go play then be safe.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with some nurses, none were overly concerned. They all had the same attitude- just be careful and clean. I also have neighbors that are in nursing and they say the exact same thing.

When pool halls open no one has to go. It’s a choice to go. If anyone doesn’t feel safe going then just don’t. But don’t ruin it for people who do feel safe.

I do tattoos for a living, been doing it for 26 years. I treat everyone like they have everything. I’ve tattooed people who have HIV, Hep C, you name it. As anyone who works in any medical profession knows it’s all about hygiene and being conscientious of cross contamination.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're going to be blamed regardless if we choose to stay home and not play because then people will blame us for being scared of the virus and causing the eventual shutdown of these pool rooms. They are working on almost a month of closure and another month of closure will put them at 2.5 months.

My local pool room pays 9k a month for rent. So that's 18k that they have to recoup. This is why the economy cannot shutdown for too long because businesses that are one foot out the door are going to close permanently because this is the final nail in the coffin.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pay 6k a month rent for my business, going on month 2 of paying with zero income. Not to mention my mortgage (Chase froze mortgages in a California and Ny, why not everywhere else), IRS and our County property tax bill which is due next month. I’m out $30k so far. Painful.

The worst part is I had income interruption insurance, they are trying not to pay because in their mold clause they have the word virus. Apparently I’m not the only one facing this issue.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coro...html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some States are starting to slowly reopen businesses. IMHO that is a good thing, as these business owner are hurting, their employees are hurting, people are sick and tired of being locked up like criminals. Because they did not crime.

Some people are so goofy, as some one said to me yesterday that work in an essential business. This guy commutes to work, and home again via pickup truck.

His observation was I see cars & trucks on the road with only a driver in the vechicle,, these people are wearing masks, WHY? He questions why if you in a vechicle by your self do you need a mask. Goofy is a good observation.:smile:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Your data is one hospital system.... in Wisconsin.

Sent from the future.

Even though my data is "only" from WI as you say, whatever that is supposed to mean, apparently Wisconsinites must be immune to Covid-19, Aurora happens to be the largest healthcare provider in our state of 6 million people, and like I said, those numbers were for the entire state, not just a single location.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Even though my data is "only" from WI as you say, whatever that is supposed to mean, apparently Wisconsinites must be immune to Covid-19, Aurora happens to be the largest healthcare provider in our state of 6 million people, and like I said, those numbers were for the entire state, not just a single location.

Well could be their diet PBR, Corn on the Cob, and Sauage. :D

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Current data indicates WI is pretty low on the infected %s.

I wouldn't think that is based on any immunity by State...more likely due to low population density.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Over 4600 confirmed cases in Wisconsin and 262 deaths. Not too immune I guess. That's about 5% fatality rate. However probably many more cases that haven't been confirmed being there is a lack of testing nationwide. Shortages of materials, chemicals,etc.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that we are at the dawn of a new reality that is going to last for the foreseeable future.

And when it comes to playing pool at a commercial room some of us are going to find that, given the facts of the new reality, maybe playing pool isn’t as important as we once thought.

Lou Figueroa

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
When it hits home things will be a bit different

I think that we are at the dawn of a new reality that is going to last for the foreseeable future.

And when it comes to playing pool at a commercial room some of us are going to find that, given the facts of the new reality, maybe playing pool isn’t as important as we once thought.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, it is one thing when strangers are dying. When the room owner, the person behind the counter, they guy you played pool with all the time, when some of them die those that think it is no big deal and the live fast, die young, leave a beautiful memory behind crowd will have a sudden shift of opinions!

I was pretty cavalier climbing around in the petro-chem plants in the old days. He was working in another plant but my locker partner for several years in high school fell to his death. He left the regulation wife and two small children behind. I didn't take quite the same risks after that.

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, it is one thing when strangers are dying. When the room owner, the person behind the counter, they guy you played pool with all the time, when some of them die those that think it is no big deal and the live fast, die young, leave a beautiful memory behind crowd will have a sudden shift of opinions!

I was pretty cavalier climbing around in the petro-chem plants in the old days. He was working in another plant but my locker partner for several years in high school fell to his death. He left the regulation wife and two small children behind. I didn't take quite the same risks after that.

Hu

Hu, when I read some posting here to the effect that they have big brass ones and will live their life as they see fit without regard for the community, I ask myself: what kind of individual feels that way?

The evidence shows that a person can be asymptomatic, IOWs show no signs of infection, but be shedding and seeding the virus to those around them. That is to say, that while you may be fine, you could be giving the virus to your best friend, bartender, pool playing opponent, a total stranger passing by. They in turn could be infecting their child, their spouse, the grandparents.

What manner of humanity is OK with that in the name of individual freedom?

I ask that because in this situation, there is no such thing as individual freedom. What you or I do affects those around us, to a potentially mortal degree, and most likely it'll hit those nearest and subsequently dearest to us.

It amazes me that those showing off their big brass balls don't realize they are also showing off their big brass heads.

Lou Figueroa

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The evidence shows that a person can be asymptomatic, IOWs show no signs of infection, but be shedding and seeding the virus to those around them. That is to say, that while you may be fine, you could be giving the virus to your best friend, bartender, pool playing opponent, a total stranger passing by. They in turn could be infecting their child, their spouse, the grandparents.
Easy answer to that question, Lou. Groups of such shining exemplars are shown by the hundreds on all afternoon and evening news programs, chanting and waving their placards (and weapons) at their "freedom" protest rallies. No masks or social distancing -- that stuff's for wimps . . . then, after every one of the protesters pointedly mingles for deliberate mutual handshaking, it's time to go home and play with the kids and hug & kiss the wife/girlfriend and any older folks living with them.

Arnaldo

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pay 6k a month rent for my business, going on month 2 of paying with zero income. Not to mention my mortgage (Chase froze mortgages in a California and Ny, why not everywhere else), IRS and our County property tax bill which is due next month. I’m out $30k so far. Painful.

The worst part is I had income interruption insurance, they are trying not to pay because in their mold clause they have the word virus. Apparently I’m not the only one facing this issue.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coro...html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true
I am just seeing the above. Brutal, so sorry for you. Money straight out of your pocket.

I'm in insurance and see far too many cases of carriers hanging their policyholders out to dry.

I am on email lists and saw an estimate 200-300 billion a month is estimated industry losses due to covid.

I hope in the long run you get your claim paid. I know it is isn't worth jackpot, but kudos to you for being well-positioned.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why I always agree with Lou. He's got cents.

Well said. So simple/ so true.

Hu, when I read some posting here to the effect that they have big brass ones and will live their life as they see fit without regard for the community, I ask myself: what kind of individual feels that way?

I ask that because in this situation, there is no such thing as individual freedom. What you or I do affects those around us, to a potentially mortal degree, and most likely it'll hit those nearest and subsequently dearest to us.

It amazes me that those showing off their big brass balls don't realize they are also showing off their big brass heads.

Lou Figueroa

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just seeing the above. Brutal, so sorry for you. Money straight out of your pocket.

I'm in insurance and see far too many cases of carriers hanging their policyholders out to dry.

I am on email lists and saw an estimate 200-300 billion a month is estimated industry losses due to covid.

I hope in the long run you get your claim paid. I know it is isn't worth jackpot, but kudos to you for being well-positioned.

And yet, you hope that his business remains closed, regardless of how it may affect him, his family, his employees, or their families...

Interesting.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Within days our insurer was backing out of paying. You are challenged to lawyer up. What will happen is that if the federal government orppp states don't pass laws demanding insurers pay...lawyers will initiate class action law suits. This is all the American way. You get lied to, overpromised to and screwed.